Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Whi I'm getting control-M's
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Whi I'm getting control-M's Post 302123507 by blowtorch on Tuesday 26th of June 2007 01:58:16 AM
Old 06-26-2007
When you copy files between two different *nix systems, you shouldn't be facing this problem. The newline representation on *nix is just '\n'. It is the DOS/Windows representation of '\r\n' that causes the ^M to show up. Are you sure that the files weren't taken from some Windows system to begin with?

Also, most *nixes give you a dos2unix/dos2ux utility that will take care of this problem for you. Check what it is called on AIX and you should be good to go.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Control Panels

I'm running Linux FC 3. I'm still pretty green with the admin and am looking for solutions for control panels like cPanel and webmin. Any other freebies out there like Webmin? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frawsty
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

control the process

I found that in my system , there are some strange process , it will make the system crash so I would like to control the system no such process is running , this is if the system process that its process name is "ora" AND its ppid is not "2" , then it will crash the system, can suggest how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

New to Control-M

Hi, I am very new to Control-M . If anywone know about the global conditions in Control-M. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclenerd
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop control

Hi, I have taken a piece of code from a book, which is working as per the specification. The code.... for entry in * do if then echo $entry fi done The sub-directories present in the current directory will be displayed while executing. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanakumar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

control variables...

Hi. I´ve a question to a running script: i=0 #fill an Array with all files in a folder ending with .sys for Par in *.sys ; do Par2="$Par" ; i=$((i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lock3
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Job Control

Using a named pipe. Run a find in the background starting in the working directory While this is happening wait for input from the user to ask him which file to find. If the user does not enter any data in 10 seconds ask the user again. Then see if the requested file name is found from the output... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kattak1511
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error control

I have the following bashwhile read -r line; do dcs_dportal_utl get all for $line >>file.txt if CONTROL=$(date +"%d%m%Y_%H%M%S") echo -e $line 'Created_'$control >> control.txt done < list.txt sed '/^$/d' file.txt>list_jac.txt echo '------------------ DONE' >> control.txt this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: viviblue1
7 Replies
cr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cr(1)

NAME
cr - converts text files between nix EOL and dos EOL SYNOPSIS
cr - | + <input file> <output file> DESCRIPTION
Text files, such as tle files, that come from a dos source usualy have the ^M symbol at the end of every line. Cr converts files between the dos newline format and the normal *nix newline format by stripping the ^M to convert dos to *nix, using the '-' option, or adding ^M to a *nix file to create the proper dos file when the '+' option is used. Although this extra character is not often a problem, programs like seesat5, which are data driven will encounter parsing problems when the extra character is present. It is these problems that cr is intended to repair. Options - | + One or the other of these options is required. The '-' option is used to remove ^M from all newlines found in the dos file. The '+' option is used to add ^M to every newline found in a *nix file. input file Fully delineated path to the input file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standard input is not used. output file Fully delineated path to the output file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standart output is not used. SEE ALSO
seesat5(1), seesat5(7), SEESAT5.INI(5), tle(5) BUGS
Cr is not an inteligent program. It methodicaly replaces/removes the offending character when it finds it in the correct context. Newline sequences found in contexts other than 'newline' will be replaced/removed just like those found in the proper context. Passing a binary file through cr is not advised, for this reason. Send all inqueries to Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>. Debian Linux 2 April 96 cr(1)