Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RSS Feeds of Threads
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators RSS Feeds of Threads Post 302123191 by craigp84 on Sunday 24th of June 2007 09:48:28 AM
Old 06-24-2007
See to be honest guys, rss aggregation into the unix.com forums isn't much of a value add for me.

I come to the forums because i like reading the issues and more so the solutions. A news feed doesn't make or break my subscription to here. It's just a little noise to me.

Just my $0.02, there's probably some folks who use this site as their aggregator of news instead of having their own bloglines / greader account. They're gonna be annoyed if you do away with them :-)

-c

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line feeds

Hi, I have a fixed width flat file which has 1 as the first char and E as the last character. Some of the records have a carriage return /line feeds . how do I remove them? Let me know. Thanks VSK (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsk
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

line feeds in csv

:confused: hi all, i have csv file with three comma separated columns i/p file First_Name, Address, Last_Name XXX, "456 New albany \n newyork, Unitedstates \n 45322-33", YYY\n ZZZ, "654 rifle park \n toronto, canada \n 43L-w3b", RRR\n is there any way i can remove \n (newline) from... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrish
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spurious line feeds

Hi all, I know this is **awfully** general but..... I have a script which does, basically... for file in `find command`; do some stuff more stuff echo '.\c' done I want to output the '.' char just to give an idea of progress. However, it works fine for a while and then I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
2 Replies

4. News, Links, Events and Announcements

HOWTO: RSS Feeds for UNIX Forums

If you want to submit your favorite UNIX.COM forum to RSS news feeds registries or directories, here is how: The top level RSS link to the UNIX forums is: https://www.unix.com/external.php This is the default for the RSS type, which is: https://www.unix.com/external.php?type=RSS ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

RSS feeds to Email

Hi all ;-) I would like to know if somebody knows a way to make a script for check a .xml RSS page every 1-5 min and send the last news to an email address. I would like to put in on my shell with FreeBSD 6.2 Thanks you in advance 4 help! ;-) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mukka
0 Replies

6. Solaris

RSS of prstat vs RSS of PS

Hi, When I sum the RSS number in the ps command for a specific user and compare it with the RSS values of the prstat command of the same user - there is a big difference. Server details: Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08 SPARC prstat output: NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies
ARCHIVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							ARCHIVE(8)

NAME
archive - Usenet article archiver SYNOPSIS
archive [ -a archive ] [ -f ] [ -i index ] [ -m ] [ -r ] [ input ] DESCRIPTION
Archive makes copies of files specified on its standard input. It is normally run either as a channel feed under innd(8), or by a script before expire(8) is run. Archive reads the named input file, or standard input if no file is given. The input is taken as a set of lines. Blank lines and lines starting with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines should specify the name of a file to archive. If a filename is not an absolute pathname, it is taken to be relative to /var/spool/news. Files are copied to a directory within the archive directory, /var/spool/news/news.archive. The default is to create a hierarchy that mim- ics the input files; intermediate directories will be created as needed. For example, the input file comp/sources/unix/2211 (article 2211 in the newsgroup comp.sources.unix) will be copied to /var/spool/news/news.archive/comp/sources/unix/2211. OPTIONS
-a archive If the ``-a'' flag is used then its argument specifies the directory to archive in instead of the default. -f If the ``-f'' flag is used, then all directory names will be flattened out, replacing the slashes with periods. In this case, the file would be copied to /var/spool/news/news.archive/comp.sources.unix/2211. -i If the ``-i'' flag is used, then archive will append one line to the specified index file for each article that it copies. This line will contain the destination name and the Message-ID and Subject headers. -m Files are copied by making a link. If that fails a new file is created. If the ``-m'' flag is used, then the file will be copied to the destination, and the input file will be replaced with a symbolic link pointing to the new file. -r By default, archive sets its standard error to /var/log/news/errlog. To suppress this redirection, use the ``-r'' flag. EXIT STATUS
If the input is exhausted, archive will exit with a zero status. If an I/O error occures, it will try to spool its input, copying it to a file. If there was no input filename, the standard input will be copied to /var/spool/news/out.going/archive and the program will exit. If an input filename was given, a temporary file named input.bch (if input is an absolute pathname) or /var/spool/news/out.going/input.bch (if the filename does not begin with a slash) is created. Once the input is copied, archive will try to rename this temporary file to be the name of the input file, and then exit. EXAMPLES
A typical newsfeeds(5) entry to archive most source newsgroups is as follows: source-archive :!*,*sources*,!*wanted*,!*.d :Tc,Wn :/usr/lib/news/bin/archive -f -i /usr/spool/news/news.archive/INDEX HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.14, dated 1996/10/29. SEE ALSO
newsfeeds(5). ARCHIVE(8)