Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users recursive chmod that only affects directories? Post 302123048 by reborg on Friday 22nd of June 2007 04:02:20 PM
Old 06-22-2007
Code:
find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep recursive directories

I am trying to locate a file or files with specific data in them. Problem is the file(s) could reside in any one of many directories. My question is. Is there a way of recursively greping directories for the file(s) with the data I am looking for. I have tried - 1. $HOME> grep 47518 | ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod for files and directories

Hi, OS - Unix, linux (all unix flavors) My requirement. To check directory/file exists and then change the permission of the directories/files. Iam trying to start with directory and here is my code in the file totalchange.sh (insideragain - is a directory, test1.txt - is a file under the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

chmod to parent and sub directories ?

Hi folk, Could you please give me command to give the rwx permissions to the parent and its sub directories ? Is it possible to fire one command or Script for giving permission to both the parent and its sub directories. I meant to say something like in recurcive. I am using AIX 5.2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

4. AIX

recursive archive directories and subdirectories

Hi everyone, Maybe this is simple question for many of you, but I get confused.:confused: How to archive a parent directory which contains some subdirectories and some files? I have searched this forum, there are some commands like tar,etc, I tried but can not be implemented in my system.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonSurya
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod -R recursive flag

Hi, why can't I use the flag -R recursive ? ftp> chmod -R a+xwr kickstart usage: chmod mode remote-file ftp> chmod a+xwr kickstart 200 SITE CHMOD command successful thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to sort directories after a recursive find

find -type d -name "TC_*" | sort That's what I have so far... it finds the appropriate directories and then sorts them. But, when it comes to nested subdirectories, it only sorts relative to the first subdirectory. I want it to sort based on the directory at the end of the path. Does anyone know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimsondarkn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Rights Recursive with chmod

Hello, i want just to change Rights for a few direcories anf files, but some directories must be exclude. How can i put the command chmod as chmod -R 755 * exclude toto tata where toto and tata are directories Could you help me for that or must I use the find command Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive looping through files and directories

hi; i need a script which will go to all directories and subdirectories and print the filenames as follow; here i m printing only files listing in current directory reason i m doing this is coz i want to perform some operations according to filename achieved so cant use find command;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change chmod on files in diff directories

I am looking for a small script to crawl through several directories and change a couple of files in each directory to read write status. Anyone have any ideas ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive search for files and copy to new directories

So I have extremely limited experience with shell scripting and I was hoping someone could point out a few commands I need to use in order to pull this off with a shell script like BASH or whatnot (this is on OS X). I need to search out for filenames with account numbers in the name itself... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flyawaymike
3 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)