Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar and gzip
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar and gzip Post 302122910 by tungaw2004 on Friday 22nd of June 2007 02:05:32 AM
Old 06-22-2007
Tar and gzip

Here is the scenario:

1. I have a 5.7 GB log which i want to archive. However, my problem is the hdisk has no more space available.

Solution i want to have :

a. create a backup of the file through tar/gzip command but will have a limit of 100MB/file or depending on the maximum limit i will set. It will prompt me that it reached the limit. From there, i can transfer the first file to my local machine and continue creating the next file gz.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine tar and gzip together?

Hello I just wandering, instead to doing "tar cvf foo.tar * " and then gzip foo.tar , can't it be combined to one command ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i tar and gzip in one liner ?

hello can i combine this 2 commands in one liner command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TAR and GZIP help

Hi, There are 700 .pdf files in a certain directory on the server and I need to TAR them first and then compress them using GZIP to free up the space. The combined size of the .pdf files is 3gb. However, there is only 1gb of free space on the server. So as you can see when I try to TAR these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VandeMatram
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar/gzip/gz...which one to use?

P0251WLADC.svm_wl1 > /svm_wl1/billing/data/server/archive/ALLEVT $ du -k FEB2006 22050224 FEB2006 As you can see,i have a folder called "FEB2006" which is around 22 GB. i guess zip or compress wont work...( i don know how do we compress a folder) i wished to use ""tar" ( i suppose... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shortcut for tar cvf - [filename] | gzip > [filename].tar.gz

i'd like to have an alias (or something similar) where i can type a command like "archive" and a filename and have it tar and gzip the file, so... $ archive filename results in filename.tar.gz...do i have to write a script to do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcamp1973
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar + gzip + split together

Hi All I need guidance on this requirement . We have a directory structure which has data of approx 100 GB We need to tar the structure then zip it and create different files of not more than 10 GB A separate tar file then a .gz should not be created , on the fly a script is needed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aamir1234
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and gzip problem

Hi Guys, I have a few files. i want to tar these files and zip it using gzip it. -rw-r----- 1 magesh magesh 12940369 Jul 27 09:26 dcx_imds_c.asc -rw-r----- 1 magesh magesh 1221391 Jul 27 09:27 dcx_imds_h.asc -rw-r----- 1 magesh magesh 1105673 Jul 27 09:27... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and gzip extraction issues

Not sure if this is really in the right forum but here goes.... Looking for a way to extract individual compressed files from a compressed tarball WITHOUT tar -zxvf and then recompressing. Basically we need to be able to chunk out an individual compressed file while it still remains... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: athos
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and gzip files

Hi Guys, I am using RHEL5 and Solaris 9 & 10. I want to tar and gzip my files then remove them after a successful tar command... Lets say I have files with extension .arc then I want to tar and gzip these files. After successful tar command I want to remove all these files (i.e .arc). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with tar and gzip !

Hi, I am trying to :- (1.) Tar the file and then (2.) Gzip it ! Tar command :- tar -cvf BLUESTAR_Archive.log_$(date +%y_%m_%d_%H_%M).tar /app/local/XXX/XXX/XXX/logs Gzip command :- Gzip /app/local/XXX/XXX/XXX/logs/BLUESTAR_Archive.log_$(date +%y_%m_%d_%H_%M).tar ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidburn_007
9 Replies
vlimit(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 vlimit(3)

Name
       vlimit - control maximum system resource consumption

Syntax
       #include <sys/vlimit.h>

vlimit(resource, value)

Description
       This facility has been superseded by

Limits  the  consumption by the current process and each process it creates to not individually exceed value on the specified resource.	If
       value is specified as -1, then the current limit is returned and the limit is unchanged.  The resources which  are  currently  controllable
       are:

LIM_NORAISE    Pseudo-limit; if set nonzero then the limits may not be raised.  Only the super-user may remove the noraise restriction.

LIM_CPU	      The maximum number of cpu-seconds to be used by each process.

LIM_FSIZE      The largest single file which can be created.

LIM_DATA       The maximum growth of the data+stack region via beyond the end of the program text.

LIM_STACK      The maximum size of the automatically-extended stack region.

LIM_CORE       the size of the largest core dump that will be created.

LIM_MAXRSS     a  soft  limit for the amount of physical memory (in bytes) to be given to the program.  If memory is tight, the system will
		      prefer to take memory from processes which are exceeding their declared LIM_MAXRSS.

Because this information is stored in the per-process information this system call must be executed directly by	the  shell  if	it  is	to
       affect all future processes created by the shell; limit is thus a built-in command to

The  system  refuses to extend the data or stack space when the limits would be exceeded in the normal way.  A break call fails if the data
       space limit is reached, or the process is killed when the stack limit is reached.  Since the stack cannot be extended, there is no  way	to
       send a signal.

A file I/O operation which would create a file which is too large will cause a signal SIGXFSZ to be generated, this normally terminates the
       process, but may be caught.  When the cpu time limit is exceeded, a signal SIGXCPU is sent to the offending process; to allow  it  time	to
       process the signal it is given 5 seconds grace by raising the cpu time limit.

Restrictions
       If LIM_NORAISE is set, then no grace should be given when the CPU time limit is exceeded.

See Also
       csh(1)

vlimit(3)