Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic Unix installation help
Operating Systems Solaris Basic Unix installation help Post 302122352 by jgt on Wednesday 20th of June 2007 07:26:56 AM
Old 06-20-2007
Presumably you created 2 partitions using fdisk, the result of which is that you have divided the disk into two areas, one for unix and one for DOS/Windows.
In order to see anything in the DOS partition from Unix you will have to mount the partition.
And before you can mount the partition you will also have to format it (Boot from a DOS Diskette, or CD and format drive CSmilie

If on the other hand you created two filesystems using divvy, then maybe the installation process does not automatically complete the setup of non root filesystems. Run 'mkfs' and 'mount'.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix basic commands

I need a sheet with the basic unix commands , and commands for VI editor. Does anyone know where i can get them. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peter Spellman
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix tools

I like to know the bare minimum development/ testing tools which can be used with Unix environment wherein the applications are written in different combination - C++ COBOL.. I like to know list of development, performance, testing tools that can be used in Unix . Thanks in advance ls1429 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ls1429
1 Replies

3. Tips and Tutorials

Unix Basic Command

A at : execute commands at a specified time/date. awk: a scripting language, especially useful for manipulating text and automation. B bash : invokes the Bourne Again Shell (standard on most boxes). batch: execute comands when load permits. bc : interactive C-like calcultor (integers... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: binhnx2000
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic unix

okay, im having some trouble. Go ahead, call me a retard, but i keep getting stuck. Suppose i want to open a Picture of Jesus(for the sake of simplicity) using unix. I type: open Desktop/Pictures/Jesus.jpg It opens, and its all well and good. But, suppose i want to open a picture called Joe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HipCracka
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

basic question about UNIX?

With not knowing absolute nothing about Unix can anyone let me in on how it is setup and how easy is it to learn?I'm using MML Commands and know that it is completely different but if I start learning commands in UNIX is that a good way to get started? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RoliOCon
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix basic help

What command would I use to list the first lines of all text files within my Unix directory or within any directory inside there? I was using "find" , "head" and "-exec" commands like this: find ~/Unix -name "*.txt" -exec head {} \; But its not perfectly working, please help me.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carrera911
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some Basic terms in UNIX

Hello Gurus, I have some very beginner level questions here, which are as follows: 1) I know what is a process, but what is a thread? and how a CPU devides a process into more than one threads and on what basis? Does a programmer designs a program in this way that it devides it into more than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix beginner. Need some very basic help.

Hey all I'm working on a script that will scour a directory of 6000+ files for a line that at the end has a number. Something like 'The number of outputs is: 39200' I'm trying to devise a script to add all of these numbers up, so far I have the grep statement that pulls out each individual... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiznaraN
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Unix cp command help

I am new to unix so this is probably a pretty basic question. I am trying to write several commands on one line that creates a directory called bf in the current directory, then copy all files within that directory and any subdirectories, that do not start with the letter c to the new bf folder.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty85
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic doubt in UNIX

Hi, I'm new to this and very much interested to learn unix. Can any one explain me the symbols y we use this is scripting(~ and $). It would be great if some one explain with the eg. Thanks Naveen A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranaveen
2 Replies
SD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     SD(4)

NAME
sd - driver for SCSI disk drives SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/hdreg.h> /* for HDIO_GETGEO */ #include <linux/fs.h> /* for BLKGETSIZE and BLKRRPART */ CONFIGURATION
The block device name has the following form: sdlp, where l is a letter denoting the physical drive, and p is a number denoting the parti- tion on that physical drive. Often, the partition number, p, will be left off when the device corresponds to the whole drive. SCSI disks have a major device number of 8, and a minor device number of the form (16 * drive_number) + partition_number, where drive_num- ber is the number of the physical drive in order of detection, and partition_number is as follows: partition 0 is the whole drive partitions 1-4 are the DOS "primary" partitions partitions 5-8 are the DOS "extended" (or "logical") partitions For example, /dev/sda will have major 8, minor 0, and will refer to all of the first SCSI drive in the system; and /dev/sdb3 will have major 8, minor 19, and will refer to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second SCSI drive in the system. At this time, only block devices are provided. Raw devices have not yet been implemented. DESCRIPTION
The following ioctls are provided: HDIO_GETGEO Returns the BIOS disk parameters in the following structure: struct hd_geometry { unsigned char heads; unsigned char sectors; unsigned short cylinders; unsigned long start; }; A pointer to this structure is passed as the ioctl(2) parameter. The information returned in the parameter is the disk geometry of the drive as understood by DOS! This geometry is not the physical geometry of the drive. It is used when constructing the drive's partition table, however, and is needed for convenient operation of fdisk(1), efdisk(1), and lilo(1). If the geometry information is not available, zero will be returned for all of the parameters. BLKGETSIZE Returns the device size in sectors. The ioctl(2) parameter should be a pointer to a long. BLKRRPART Forces a reread of the SCSI disk partition tables. No parameter is needed. The SCSI ioctl(2) operations are also supported. If the ioctl(2) parameter is required, and it is NULL, then ioctl(2) will fail with the error EINVAL. FILES
/dev/sd[a-h]: the whole device /dev/sd[a-h][0-8]: individual block partitions COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-05-03 SD(4)