Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers TAR : option to exclude absolute path Post 302122269 by telco on Tuesday 19th of June 2007 11:19:01 PM
Old 06-20-2007
TAR : option to exclude absolute path

Dear All , Smilie

I have a question ... I need to exclude the absolute path in the TAR process.
For example :

system("tar cvf /root/BACKUPS_$fecha.tar /root/BKP/");
system("gzip /root/BACKUPS_$fecha.tar");

I need to exclude de path " /root/BKP/ " in the file.tar.gz
What is the parameter to exclude the absolute path ??

Thanks in advance. Smilie
Best Regards.
TELCO

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with absolute path and relative path

I'm having problems accessing the Knoppix software on my current computer and the replacement CD I ordered hasn't arrived yet. I have a guess at what the answer would be for this question but I am not sure as I cannot test it with the software. I have to create a directory called class, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzero
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

absolute path for a script ran with relative path

I have a script in which i want to print absolute path of the same script irrespective of path from where i run script. I am using test.sh: echo "pwd : `pwd`" echo "script name: $0" echo "dirname: `dirname $0`" when i run script from /my/test/dir/struct as ../test.sh the output i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rss67
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change Absolute path to Relative path

Hello, I have a doubt:- --------------------- Current script:- ################################################################################################ prefix=user@my-server: find . -depth -type d -name .git -printf '%h\0' | while read -d "" path ; do ( cd "$path" || exit $?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Exclude the Path in TAR ?

Hi Is there any way to exclude the absolute path while using Tar , like am using the command # tar cvf mytar.tar /home/rakesh/myback/ when i extract the mytar.tar then it shows as /home /rakesh ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
1 Replies

6. Solaris

exclude absolute paths when extracting Tar file?

Hi, How do I extract data from TAR excluding absolute paths for Tar? (Solaris) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a tar command with the --exclude option in a Debian shell script.

Hi All, I am trying to execute the following tar command with two --exclude options to suppress extract of the two directories specified. Do I need to single quote the directory paths ?? Many thanks for your help. The relevant code excerpt from the script is: cd /var/www/${SITE} ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert relative path to absolute path?

Hello Everyone, I want to convert Relative Path - /home/stevin/data/APP_SERVICE/../datafile.txt to Absolute Path - /home/stevin/data/datafile.txt Is there a built-in tool in Unix to do this or any good ideas as to how can I implement this. -Steve (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwarentine
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar command to take absolute path

Hi All, I am trying to create a tar from absolute path then transfer that file to another machine. But tar is not taking the absolute (full) path. Could you please help. I tried tar -cvf option at source and tar -xvf option at destination My variable has 3 files with full path... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
th_get_pathname(3)						  C Library Calls						th_get_pathname(3)

NAME
th_get_pathname, th_get_uid, th_get_gid, th_get_mode, th_get_crc, th_get_size, th_get_mtime, th_get_devmajor, th_get_devminor, th_get_linkname - extract individual fields of a tar header TH_ISREG, TH_ISLNK, TH_ISSYM, TH_ISCHR, TH_ISBLK, TH_ISDIR, TH_ISFIFO - determine what kind of file a tar header refers to TH_ISLONGNAME, TH_ISLONGLINK - determine whether the GNU extensions are in use SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> char *th_get_linkname(TAR *t); char *th_get_pathname(TAR *t); mode_t th_get_mode(TAR *t); uid_t th_get_uid(TAR *t); gid_t th_get_gid(TAR *t); int th_get_crc(TAR *t); off_t th_get_size(TAR *t); time_t th_get_mtime(TAR *t); major_t th_get_devmajor(TAR *t); minor_t th_get_devminor(TAR *t); int TH_ISREG(TAR *t); int TH_ISLNK(TAR *t); int TH_ISSYM(TAR *t); int TH_ISCHR(TAR *t); int TH_ISBLK(TAR *t); int TH_ISDIR(TAR *t); int TH_ISFIFO(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGNAME(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGLINK(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The th_get_*() functions extract individual fields from the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_IS*() macros are used to evaluate what kind of file is pointed to by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_ISLONGNAME() and TH_ISLONGLINK() macros evaluate whether or not the GNU extensions are used by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. This is only relevant if the TAR_GNU option was used when tar_open() was called. SEE ALSO
tar_open(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 th_get_pathname(3)