Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding biggest number
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding biggest number Post 302122260 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 19th of June 2007 09:50:13 PM
Old 06-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankooknara
can someone please tell me why if i do it below.. it doesn't work?
i put echo 1 2 3 4 5 since I will be getting the list of numbers from another program(just for demonstration) and I want to pipe the results into the script.. but it doesn't work..

echo 1 2 3 4 5 | script

################## script itself ###################
#!/usr/bin/sh

z=0
while read a
do
if [ "$a" -gt "$z" ]
then
z=$a
else
:
fi
done

You are only sending one line to the script; read will read an entire line.
Code:
printf "%s\n" 1 2 3 4 5 | script

Unless there are very few numbers, it will be faster to use sort than a script:

Code:
z=$( sort -n | tail -1 )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help finding number of logins!

Let's say I am trying to find out how many times someone has logged into the machine. Use last to display all the different logins, several names pop up, some multiple times. All I have been able to figure out is the total number of logins, but I can't determine how to compare if $1(user name) is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiznaraN
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Finding port number !!

Hi all , I want know the port no on which a particular application is running. How to find that? Thanks in anticipation (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding larg number and add one

Dear Friends, Below is the output: 901 9010 9010 9011 9011 9011 9012 9013 9014 9015 9016 9017 9018 9019 902 9020 9021 9022 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfaqih
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the line number from a grep ?

Hi there does anybody know how i can get the line number from an entry or entries in a file ?? for example if i had a file test1 test2 test3 test1 and i needed to get the line numbers for all instances of test1 in that file with the answer being (1,4) Would anybody be able... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the nice(ni) number with PID?

Hi, is there a command that takes the PID of a process and that only diplays it's ni number? I`m pretty sure it would require pipes but I tried a few things that ended up miserably... Since the ps command doesn't show the ni unless I do ps -o ni but then I can't find a way to search the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the number of dtsessions

I am trying to find out the number of dtsessions. using the command wc -l $FILE_NAME it works fine But when I try to assign this value to some variable using the command set NUM_DT_SESSION=$(wc -l $FILE_NAME) it shows error Variable syntax find below the complete command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding number in exact column

Dear all, I want to find a number in exact column but I don't know how to do it. Here is the thing, data is shown below, and I want to find 416 in the first column and print it out, how should I deal with it? Thank you very much! ab33 50S01S 958 279.068999 67.251013 -150.172544 67.250000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: handsonzhao
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on finding a number

Hello, Here is my question. I have a file which contains the html values. I have to find the decimal number from it. It is tagged around >68.74<. Please help me on it.. alt='' ><\/td>\n\t\t<td align=\"right\" class='data_table_text data_table_conv_averages_text' \ style='padding-right:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find biggest number inside file

Hi, I wanna find the biggest number inside of a file this is kind of example of file: 9 11 55 then i just wanna print out the biggest number i had try sed filenale | sort -k1,1n | paste -s -d',' - but i had no success ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding which is Running number

Hi All, I have a list of data in the listing file and I run row by row to process the record, but how to identify what is the current process line number ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfkpqr] [-F pipe] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, do not sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -F pipe Immediately flush output after each write. This will allow a user to create a named pipe using mkfifo(1) and another user may watch the live session using a utility like cat(1). -f Create file.filemon or typescript.filemon using filemon(4). -k Log keys sent to the program as well as output. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start, stop and command status messages. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. -t time Specify the interval at which the script output file will be flushed to disk, in seconds. A value of 0 causes script to flush after every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables are utilized by script: SCRIPT The SCRIPT environment variable is added to the sub-shell. If SCRIPT already existed in the users environment, its value is overwrit- ten within the sub-shell. The value of SCRIPT is the name of the typescript file. SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1), filemon(4) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. The -d, -p and -r options first appeared in NetBSD 2.0 and were ported to FreeBSD 9.2. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when the terminal is in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. If script reads zero bytes from the terminal, it switches to a mode when it only attempts to read once a second until there is data to read. This prevents script from spinning on zero-byte reads, but might cause a 1-second delay in processing of user input. BSD
December 4, 2013 BSD