Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding biggest number
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding biggest number Post 302122259 by hankooknara on Tuesday 19th of June 2007 09:36:39 PM
Old 06-19-2007
can someone please tell me why if i do it below.. it doesn't work?
i put echo 1 2 3 4 5 since I will be getting the list of numbers from another program(just for demonstration) and I want to pipe the results into the script.. but it doesn't work..

echo 1 2 3 4 5 | script

################## script itself ###################
#!/usr/bin/sh

z=0
while read a
do
if [ "$a" -gt "$z" ]
then
z=$a
else
:
fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help finding number of logins!

Let's say I am trying to find out how many times someone has logged into the machine. Use last to display all the different logins, several names pop up, some multiple times. All I have been able to figure out is the total number of logins, but I can't determine how to compare if $1(user name) is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiznaraN
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Finding port number !!

Hi all , I want know the port no on which a particular application is running. How to find that? Thanks in anticipation (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding larg number and add one

Dear Friends, Below is the output: 901 9010 9010 9011 9011 9011 9012 9013 9014 9015 9016 9017 9018 9019 902 9020 9021 9022 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfaqih
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the line number from a grep ?

Hi there does anybody know how i can get the line number from an entry or entries in a file ?? for example if i had a file test1 test2 test3 test1 and i needed to get the line numbers for all instances of test1 in that file with the answer being (1,4) Would anybody be able... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the nice(ni) number with PID?

Hi, is there a command that takes the PID of a process and that only diplays it's ni number? I`m pretty sure it would require pipes but I tried a few things that ended up miserably... Since the ps command doesn't show the ni unless I do ps -o ni but then I can't find a way to search the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the number of dtsessions

I am trying to find out the number of dtsessions. using the command wc -l $FILE_NAME it works fine But when I try to assign this value to some variable using the command set NUM_DT_SESSION=$(wc -l $FILE_NAME) it shows error Variable syntax find below the complete command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding number in exact column

Dear all, I want to find a number in exact column but I don't know how to do it. Here is the thing, data is shown below, and I want to find 416 in the first column and print it out, how should I deal with it? Thank you very much! ab33 50S01S 958 279.068999 67.251013 -150.172544 67.250000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: handsonzhao
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on finding a number

Hello, Here is my question. I have a file which contains the html values. I have to find the decimal number from it. It is tagged around >68.74<. Please help me on it.. alt='' ><\/td>\n\t\t<td align=\"right\" class='data_table_text data_table_conv_averages_text' \ style='padding-right:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find biggest number inside file

Hi, I wanna find the biggest number inside of a file this is kind of example of file: 9 11 55 then i just wanna print out the biggest number i had try sed filenale | sort -k1,1n | paste -s -d',' - but i had no success ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding which is Running number

Hi All, I have a list of data in the listing file and I run row by row to process the record, but how to identify what is the current process line number ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)