Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run shell commands via HTML webpage/button? Post 302122160 by zeekblack on Tuesday 19th of June 2007 11:20:23 AM
Old 06-19-2007
Question Run shell commands via Iplanet HTML webpage/button?

Hey guys,

I got a issue here...

we have a development box and a UAT box that our webmasters use, they do the webpage development on the development box and and save changed files to a particular directory on the dev machine.

At a certain time of the day a cronjob kicks off and the development directory containing the changed files are "rsynced" with the UAT box.

now here is the dilema, the files are being changed much more frequently now and the single scheduled rsync is not keeping up with the amount of changes, so the webmaster are contacting us to manually run the rsync so they can see there changes in UAT.

Normally, I would just give them access to a restricted shell script that they could run themselfs at the command line that would kick off the rsync job. However, most of them are not familar/comfortable with Unix CLI --or just dont want to get involved with doing that.

So, with all that being said -- is there a way i could create a simple HTML page with button them could "click" that would execute the rsync command?

I know most web server development has been geared towards NOT allowing this type of interaction....

here is the command we run

00 18 * * 5 /usr/bin/rsync -aWvz -e ssh --delete --progress --safe-links /local/apps/iplanet/servers/docs/someserver.xyz.com/ webuser@someserver:/local/apps/iplanet/servers/docs/ > /local/home/webuser/rsync.out 2>&1

Solaris 8

thanks for any help guy

Last edited by zeekblack; 06-19-2007 at 12:25 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

which access right should set in my webpage index.html ?

I have a webpage, http://my.dns.com/~zp523/index.html, I want all people to have read and execute privileges. I want to extend it with execute privilege. Which command should be used in chmod? is it only give read(r) & execute(x) parameter in 'chmod ??? index.html' thk a lot!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zp523444
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run unix commands in a new shell inside a shell script?

Hi , I am having one situation in which I need to run some simple unix commands after doing "chroot" command in a shell script. Which in turn creates a new shell. So scenario is that - I need to have one shell script which is ran as a part of crontab - in this shell script I need to do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkapil
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with html button

Hello everyone, I am trying to implement an html button that will call a script and pass two arguments "perl script.pl website.com 1" this is for a search results page on a php spider called "sphider". the variable $url? is the url and Than needs to be one of the arguments in calling the script.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike171562
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script from one host which connext to remote host and run the commands

I want to write a script which would run from one host say A and connect to other remote host B and then run rest of commands in that host. I tried connecting from A host to B with SSH but after connecting to host B it just getting me inside Host B command prompt. Rest of the script is not running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SN2009
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run Shell Commands via HTML on a client machine

Hi guys, so, I have a server running an sqlite database which is accessed by many client machines working as hardware testers, whenever something fails and needs to be replaced the operator would have to enter the Serial Number of the part being replaced as well as some other data. and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sx3v1l_1n51de
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shellinabox/html help to insert a keypress with an html button

I am trying to use shellinabox as a terminal emulator. Everything is working except there seems to be no way to simulate an F14 button press in shellinabox. I am already embedding shellinabox in an html page so Im am wondering if there is a way to make an html/js button that will pass F14 to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: syadnom
0 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Geek Tool Shell Commands in HTML

I'm new around these parts but I figured I might as well ask something thats been bothering me for a while. I have a little HTML experience and really none at all with unix. I have been running a geektool-a preference pane that outputs shell commands onto the desktop for Mac. Recently I have been... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neroyalty
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

html/bash button

Hello everyone I am writing a cgi script in bash/html. I am trying something new with this one I have seperated the html code from the scripting. The html code is found in text files on the drive and the scripting is only one script in the cgi bin and i am using "<select multiple name="state"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wlane7878
3 Replies

9. Web Development

Get command-output to webpage from solaris-10-OS invoked from html webpages

Hello, I am a middleware administrator and as an admin I need to monitor a number of middleware instances (weblogic servers). But since it is a not the forum for that i would like to put my problem in simple terms and need guidance on that. I need to use apache webserver on Solaris 10 zones to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poga
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launch shell script with parameters from a webpage button

I want to create a simple html page that should contain 2 fields in which the user can write the input. Then I want to have a button that should launch a shell script with the parameters inserted by user in the fields from the webpage. This is the code behind my webpage: <html> <form... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
2 Replies
javascript(n)						  HTML and Java Script Generation					     javascript(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
javascript - Procedures to generate HTML and Java Script structures. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8 package require javascript ?1.0.2? ::javascript::makeSelectorWidget id leftLabel leftValueList rightLabel rightValueList rightNameList ?length? ?minWidth? ::javascript::makeSubmitButton name value ::javascript::makeProtectedSubmitButton name value msg ::javascript::makeMasterButton master value slavePattern boolean ::javascript::makeParentCheckbox parentName childName ::javascript::makeChildCheckbox parentName childName _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The ::javascript package provides commands that generate HTML and Java Script code. These commands typically return an HTML string as their result. In particular, they do not output their result to stdout. ::javascript::makeSelectorWidget id leftLabel leftValueList rightLabel rightValueList rightNameList ?length? ?minWidth? Construct HTML code to create a dual-multi-selection megawidget. This megawidget consists of two side-by-side multi-selection boxes separated by a left arrow and a right arrow button. The right arrow button moves all items selected in the left box to the right box. The left arrow button moves all items selected in the right box to the left box. The id argument is the suffix of all HTML objects in this megawidget. The leftLabel argument is the text that appears above the left selection box. The leftValueList argu- ment is the values of items in the left selection box. The leftNameList argument is the names to appear in the left selection box. The rightLabel argument is the text that appears above the right selection box. The rightValueList argument is the values of items in the right selection box. The rightNameList argument is the names to appear in the right selection box. The length argument (optional) determines the number of elts to show before adding a vertical scrollbar; it defaults to 8. The minWidth argument (optional) is the number of spaces to determine the minimum box width; it defaults to 32. ::javascript::makeSubmitButton name value Create an HTML submit button that resets a hidden field for each registered multi-selection box. The name argument is the name of the HTML button object to create. The value argument is the label of the HTML button object to create. ::javascript::makeProtectedSubmitButton name value msg Create an HTML submit button that prompts the user with a continue/cancel shutdown warning before the form is submitted. The name argument is the name of the HTML button object to create. The value argument is the label of the HTML button object to create. The msg argument is the message to display when the button is pressed. ::javascript::makeMasterButton master value slavePattern boolean Create an HTML button that sets its slave checkboxs to the boolean value. The master argument is the name of the child's parent html checkbox object. The value argument is the value of the master. The slaves argument is the name of child html checkbox object to create. The boolean argument is the java script boolean value that will be given to all the slaves; it must be "true" or "false". ::javascript::makeParentCheckbox parentName childName Create an HTML checkbox and tie its value to that of its child checkbox. If the parent is unchecked, the child is automatically unchecked. The parentName argument is the name of parent html checkbox object to create. The childName argument is the name of the parent's child html checkbox object. ::javascript::makeChildCheckbox parentName childName Create an HTML checkbox and tie its value to that of its parent checkbox. If the child is checked, the parent is automatically checked. The parentName argument is the name of the child's parent html checkbox object. The childName argument is the name of child html checkbox object to create. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category javascript of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
html, ncgi KEYWORDS
checkbox, html, javascript, selectionbox, submitbutton CATEGORY
CGI programming javascript 1.0.2 javascript(n)