Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Notification from Background jobs Post 302122116 by vibhor_agarwali on Tuesday 19th of June 2007 08:28:57 AM
Old 06-19-2007
Okay,

But here i wont be able to know when TaskA has completed.

Wait will be over when all tasks are complete.

The only option i can think of is to run an infinite loop and check each process termination in that, but that will be CPU consuming as my processes will run for many hours.

Appreciate your help. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs

Hi, i have a problem with turning a job into backgrund. When i enter this at the shell: spice -b darlington.cir -r output.raw > screenout.tmp & and then let me show the currently running jobs, i get the following output: + Suspended (tty output) spice -b darlington.cir -r output.raw >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qsi
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking background jobs from another session

Ok, so I'm comfortable backgrounding jobs in the shell, starting and stopping them, and bringing them to the fg and bg. What I can't figure out is how to monitor those background jobs from another shell (remote, or local). Example: - On a local console for MYHOST, I su to root - I then update... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikingshelmut
3 Replies

3. Programming

Background jobs

Hi there, I'm quite new to UNIX for programming. I have a script that does this: Shows on screen real-time results taken from phone calls and logs them in a file. However, when I start my script, I want my script to start logging in the file in the background, so I can continue working on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jeremiorama
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job finished notification

In my last job someone gave me the command to put in my .profile that let me know when a job I had running in the background finished. It was a word about 5 char long. I can't remember it! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkeller
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs exit status and limit the number of jobs to run

i need to execute 5 jobs at a time in background and need to get the exit status of all the jobs i wrote small script below , i'm not sure this is right way to do it.any ideas please help. $cat run_job.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh #################################### typeset -u SCHEMA_NAME=$1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background jobs

If I run a job in the background and logoff. Will the job continue to run or will my processes be killed ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Background Jobs

We had a generic process where the jobs are scheduled to run sequentially and in background. We are noticing the problems with the background jobs. Error Message: /bin/ksh: /home/suren/bin/GenericReportScript.sh: cannot execute The same script is existing in bin and it had enough... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureng
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup and background jobs

Hi All, Can someone help me in knowing the exact difference between nohup and &. The definition is quite clear but i only want to know if i run my job using & and in between i hung up my terminal. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uinx_addic
10 Replies

9. Red Hat

shc utility for background jobs

I have used shc utillity to convert a shell script to it's compiled version.Inside this script i have called another shell script which is also in compled version. Example:- Main script:- main.sh.x child script:- child.sh.x (this is called inside main.sh.x) This child script will run in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
2 Replies

10. AIX

Use of screen in running background jobs and how to use this

Hello, Please advise use of screen in running jobs in nohup background and how to use this Best regards, Vishal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies
serialize(1)						      General Commands Manual						      serialize(1)

NAME
serialize - force target process to run serially with other processes SYNOPSIS
command [command_args] pid] DESCRIPTION
The command is used to force the target process to run serially with other processes also marked by this command. The target process can be referred to by pid value, or it can be invoked directly on the command. Once a process has been marked by the process stays marked until process completion unless is reissued on the serialized process with the option. The option causes the pid specified with the option to return to normal timeshare scheduling algorithms. This call is used to improve process throughput, since process throughput usually increases for large processes when they are executed serially instead of allowing each program to run for only a short period of time. By running large processes one at a time, the system makes more efficient use of the CPU as well as system memory, since each process does not end up constantly faulting in its working set, to only have the pages stolen when another process starts running. As long as there is enough memory in the system, processes marked by behave no differently from other processes in the system. However, once memory becomes tight, processes marked by are run one at a time with the highest priority processes being run first. Each process will run for a finite interval of time before another serialized process is allowed to run. Options supports the following options: Indicates the process specified by pid should be returned to timeshare scheduling. Indicates the pid of the target process. If neither option is specified, is invoked on the command line passed in. RETURN VALUE
returns the following value: Successful completion. Invalid pid specification, nonnumeric entry, or pid specification is that of a special system process. Could not execute the specified command. No such process. Must be root or a member of a group having the privilege to execute ERRORS
fails under the following condition and sets (see errno(2)) to the following value: The pid passed in does not exist. EXAMPLES
Use to force a database application to run serially with other processes marked for serialization: Force a currently running process with a pid value of 215 to run serially with other processes marked for serialization: Return a process previously marked for serialization to normal timeshare scheduling. The pid of the target process for this example is WARNINGS
The user has no way of forcing an execution order on serialized processes. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
setprivgrp(1M), getprivgrp(2), serialize(2). serialize(1)