Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find the list of files Post 302121828 by Shell_Life on Monday 18th of June 2007 02:58:27 PM
Old 06-18-2007
Senthilk,
To find files in a directory and sub-directories, you can use the
"find" command.
What do you mean by "list of files of particular type"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list read only files using find

hi, how can i list read only files (for u,g,o) using find command? Thanks and Regards Vivek.s (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need a script to find socials in files and output a list of those files

I am trying to find socail security numbers in files in (and under) a specific directory and output a list of the files where they are found... the format would be with no dashes just 9 numeric characters in a row. I have tried this: find /DirToLookIn -exec grep '\{9\}' /dev/null {} \; >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files and display only directory list containing those files

I have a directory (and many sub dirs beneath) on AIX system, containing thousands of file. I'm looking to get a list of all directory containing "*.pdf" file. I know basic syntax of find command, but it gives me list of all pdf files, which numbers in thousands. All I need to know is, which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r7p
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a List of Files With Find

Hi, I need to go through all the files on my system and build a list/output file with the paths of all files where the first two characters within the file match an expression. I know I can use something like find . | xargs cut -b1-2 or find . -exec cut -b1-2 {} \; to get the characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 008_
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find list of files from a list and copy to a directory

I will be very grateful if someone can help me with bash shell script that does the following: I have a list of filenames: A01_155716 A05_155780 A07_155812 A09_155844 A11_155876 that are kept in different sub directories within my current directory. I want to find these files and copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find missing files from a list

counter=0; while read line; do ] && let counter=counter+1; done < input_file.txt echo $counter The above code is reading a file line by line and checking whether the filenames mentioned in the file exist or not . At present the o/p is value of counter I want to echo out the name of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Find list of files that uses password.

Hi, I am looking for a command or script which should list out the files that uses database password 'June1232011'. I know where the files are located (path) .Since there are too many files exist in the directory, i want to find out the files that uses this password. It would be a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find list of files modified for a given day ?

find list of files modified for a given day ? if i have 10 files in my directory, i have modified only 5 ... how to display only modified files ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: only4satish
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to find a word from list of files

I need to find a word '% Retail by State' in the folder /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation. When I tried like below, -bash-4.1$ cd /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation -bash-4.1$ find ./ -name % Retail by State find: paths must precede expression: Retail Usage: find ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Kumar_BE
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find for files within a list of subfolders

Helo Is there a better way to search within a list of subfolders : A_START_PATH="/data_1/data_2" # # dir2, dir3, dir6, ..... dir59 exists # A_LIST="$A_START_PATH/dir1 $A_START_PATH/dir4 $A_START_PATH/dir5" find "$A_LIST" -type f -name"*.txt" Now searching for all files in any subdirs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
lndir(1X)																 lndir(1X)

NAME
lndir - create a shadow directory of symbolic links to another directory tree SYNOPSIS
lndir fromdir [todir] DESCRIPTION
lndir makes a shadow copy todir of a directory tree fromdir, except that the shadow is not populated with real files but instead with sym- bolic links pointing at the real files in the fromdir directory tree. This is usually useful for maintaining source code for different machine architectures. You create a shadow directory containing links to the real source which you will have usually NFS mounted from a machine of a different architecture, and then recompile it. The object files will be in the shadow directory, while the source files in the shadow directory are just symlinks to the real files. This has the advantage that if you update the source, you need not propagate the change to the other architectures by hand, since all source in shadow directories are symlinks to the real thing: just cd to the shadow directory and recompile. The todir argument is optional and defaults to the current directory. The fromdir argument may be relative (e.g., ../src) and is relative to todir (not the current directory). Note that RCS, SCCS, and CVS.adm directories are not shadowed. Note also that if you add files, you must run lndir again. Deleting files is difficult because the symlinks will point to places that no longer exist. BUGS
The patch routine needs to be able to change the files. You should never run patch from a shadow directory. Use a command like the following to clear out all files before you can relink (if the fromdir has been moved, for instance): find todir -type l -print | xargs rm The following command will find all files that are not directories: find . ! -type d -print lndir(1X)