Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming check the given string is numeric or not. Post 302121753 by knowledge_gain on Monday 18th of June 2007 08:26:56 AM
Old 06-18-2007
No.

i don't want to check in a loop using isdigit. need something simple.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a valid numeric input

Hi Folks, I'm using bash script. I would like to check whether input is a number or not.(Only positive numbers).. if space or non numeric is entered, it should say "invalid input". pls help.. thanks in adv. Br/// Vijay. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for numeric inputs

Hi All, How do i modify the below script such that if the input is numeric, it will give the numeric digit, else it will ouput "0" echo "xxx" | awk '/^+$/' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to check variable if its non numeric

if test $b -ne then echo "\n\n\n\tPassword reset has been done successfully" else echo "\n\n\n\tAn error occurred" fi i want to check whether $b is non-numeric so how to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether it is a non-numeric character

Below is the abstract of the script which is working fine. if ] then error_process "Invalid month format." return 1 fi I am doing validation for month and it errors if the value is > 12 or < 0. In addition, I want to add another condition to error if it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony_dada
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for Numeric output in Perl

Hi All, I would like to convert my below csh script to Perl. Can any expert help ? # To check for numeric input set tested1 = `echo "$tested"| awk '/^+$/'`; # To remove un-neccessary zeros set tested2 = `echo "$tested"|awk '{print $0+0}'`; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a column is having a numeric value or not in a file?

Hi, I want to know, how we find out if a column is having a numeric value or not. For Example if we have a csv file as ASDF,QWER,GHJK,123,FGHY,9876 GHTY,NVHR,WOPI,623,HFBS,5386 we need to find out if the 4th and 6th column has muneric value or not. Thanks in advance Keerthan (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: keerthan
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a Numeric Value?

Using shell, I have a variable, how can I check that variable for a numeric value such as "41.0"? My program needs to do one things if the numeric value is found, and another if something else such as a string of letter is found. is there a specific character that denotes a numeral? The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if a string is numeric

I checked all the previous threads related to this and tried this. My input is all numbers or decimals greater than zero everytime. I want to check the same in the korn shell script. Just validate the string to be numeric. This is what I am doing. var="12345" if ) -o "$var" !=... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the numeric value in a string and then check the max. value

hi, i have a string " 00000069 ThreadMonitor W WSVR0606W: Thread "WebContainer : 43|null" (00000069) was previously rep orted to be hung but has completed. It was active for approximately 47533430 milliseconds. There is/are 43 thread(s) in tot al in the server that still may be hung." ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether input is numeric

Hello there, find below for my code first: $pdp_asaba=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep asaba | sed 's/*//g'` if ]] then pdp_asaba=0 fi $pdp_abuja=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep abuja | sed 's/*//g'` if ]] then pdp_abuja=0 fi $pdp_ojota=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep ojota | sed 's/*//g'` if ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
3 Replies
ISDIGIT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						ISDIGIT(3)

NAME
isdigit, isnumber -- decimal-digit character test LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int isdigit(int c); int isnumber(int c); int isdigit_l(int c, locale_t loc); int isnumber_l(int c, locale_t loc); DESCRIPTION
The isdigit() function tests for a decimal digit character. Regardless of locale, this includes the following characters only: ``0'' ``1'' ``2'' ``3'' ``4'' ``5'' ``6'' ``7'' ``8'' ``9'' The isnumber() function behaves similarly to isdigit(), but may recognize additional characters, depending on the current locale setting. The value of the argument must be representable as an unsigned char or the value of EOF. The _l-suffixed versions take an explicit locale argument, whereas the non-suffixed versions use the current global or per-thread locale. RETURN VALUES
The isdigit() and isnumber() functions return zero if the character tests false and return non-zero if the character tests true. COMPATIBILITY
The 4.4BSD extension of accepting arguments outside of the range of the unsigned char type in locales with large character sets is considered obsolete and may not be supported in future releases. The iswdigit() function should be used instead. SEE ALSO
ctype(3), iswdigit(3), multibyte(3), xlocale(3), ascii(7) STANDARDS
The isdigit() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). The isdigit_l() function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The isnumber() function appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
May 4, 2007 BSD