Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to remove directory with subdirectories and files? Post 302121271 by ppa108 on Tuesday 12th of June 2007 11:52:19 PM
Old 06-13-2007
rm -rf

I have all necessary permission. But i tried with rm -rf <dirname>, i got the following message.

rm: examine files in directory BioDiversity (yes/no)?

How to skip that questions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Remove Ctrl M characters in files from directories and its subdirectories

Hi, How to recursively remove Ctrl M characters in files from a directory and its sub directory ? I know unix2dos command is there but to remove in bunch of files ... ? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skdp
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files in a directory and its subdirectories

Hello my friends, I need to write a simple shell bad file :D that search and delete a file it's name 'Microsoft.txt' in the current directory and its subdirectories? So can you help to guide me how i can write this shell, Just give me the beginning :o thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Net-Man
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string in all files under a directory and its subdirectories

Hello Friends, I've been trying to write a script which finds a string and change it with another string. For this i want to search all files (with its arguments) under a spesific directory and its subdirectories. For example lets assume i want to replace an IP= 192.168.0.4 with another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Gzip files in Directory and itīs Subdirectories

Hello dear Community, I have a task to wrtie a script which will gzip not zipped files in a directory and itīs subdirectories. I succeeded in gzippung the directory but not the subdirectories: #/bin/bash #go to the directory where to zip cd $1 #Zip unzipped files for i in `ls | xargs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files only in current directory...not subdirectories

Hi, I have to find files only in the current directory...not in the sub directories. But when I use Find command ... it searches all the files in the current directory as well as in the subdirectories. I am using AIX-UNIX machine.Please help..I tried to use maxdepth..but it is not working in AIX. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove files from subdirectories given a list of filenames

Dear all, I have a dir structure like main_dir At_nn Ag_js Nf_hc .... mcd32 mgd43... mcd32 mgd43... mcd32 mgd43... and each subdir (e.g. mcd32, mgd43) contains files. Now, i... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogeshkumkar
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Backing up all the files in the subdirectories under a parent directory

Hi, I am not too familiar with Unix scripting but I have to write code to find all the files under all the sub directories under a parent directory of unix location and move them to the corresponding Windows location. For eg: I have \home\sreenu\Files\ Under neath this I have multiple sub... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj.sreenu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with *.i extension in a directory and all its subdirectories + 30days old then remove

I need to write a script to : list files with *.i extension in a directory and all its subdirectories + 30days old, save it in a file and then remove (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lena keung
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove all the subdirectories except latest 5 inside any given directory

I Want to remove all the sub-directories except latest five in any given TGTDIR. Is there a way to do so without making a cd to TGTDIR? I have tried the following but not worked. Thank you. rm -rf `ls -t $TGTDIR | awk 'NR>5'` (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devendra Hupri
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies
rm(1)							      General Commands Manual							     rm(1)

Name
       rm, rmdir - remove (unlink) files or directories

Syntax
       rm [-f] [-r] [-i] [-] file-or-directory-name...
       rmdir directory-name...

Description
       The command removes the entries for one or more files from a directory.	If there are no links to the file then the file is destroyed.  For
       further information, see

The command removes entries for the named directories, which must be empty.  If they are not empty, the directories remain, and displays an
       error message (see EXAMPLES).

To  remove  a file, you must have write permission in its directory, but you do not need read or write permission on the file itself.  When
       you are using from a terminal, and you do not have write permission on the file, the command asks for confirmation  before  destroying  the
       file.

If  input  is redirected from the standard input device (your terminal), then checks to ensure that input is not coming from your terminal.
       If not, sets the -f option, which overrides the file protection, and removes the files silently, regardless of what you have  specified	in
       the file redirected as input to See EXAMPLES.

Options
       -    Specifies that the named files have names beginning with a minus (for example ).

-f   Forces the removal of file or directory without first requesting confirmation.  Only system or usage messages are displayed.

-i   Prompts  for yes or no response before removing each entry.  Does not ask when combined with the -f option.  If you type a y, followed
	    by any combination of characters, a yes response is assumed.

-r   Recursively removes all entries from the specified directory and, then, removes the entry for that directory from  its  parent  direc-
	    tory.

Examples
       The following example shows how to remove a file in your current working directory.
       rm myfile
       This example shows use of the null option to remove a file beginning with a minus sign.
       rm - -gorp
       This example shows how a confirmation is requested for removal of a file for which you do not have write permission.
       rm testfile
       rm: override protection 400 for testfile? y
       This  example  shows  how  the combination of -i and -r options lets you examine all the files in a directory before removing them.  In the
       example, mydirectory is a subdirectory of the current working directory.  Note that the last question requests confirmation before removing
       the  directory  itself.	 Although  the user types ``y'', requesting removal of the directory, the command does not allow this, because the
       directory is not empty; the user typed ``n'' to the question about the file file2 , so file2 was not removed.
       rm -ir mydirectory
       rm: remove mydirectory/file1? y
       rm: remove mydirectory/file2? n
       rm: remove mydirectory? y
       rm: mydirectory: Directory not empty
       This example illustrates that overrides file protection when input is redirected from the standard input device.  The user creates  a  file
       named ``alfie'', with a read-only file protection.  The user then creates a file named ``ans'' to contain the character ``n''.  The command
       following destroys the file ``alfie'', even though the redirected input file requested no deletion.
       cat > alfie
       hello
       ^d
       chmod 444 alfie
       cat > ans
       n
       ^d
       rm < ans alfie

See Also
       unlink(2)

rm(1)