Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking the existence of a file.. Post 302121210 by Shell_Life on Tuesday 12th of June 2007 12:00:13 PM
Old 06-12-2007
Indra,
Try using " (double quote) before and after $fname:
Code:
echo "Please enter a file name"
read fname
if test -f "$fname""
then
  echo "$fname exists"
else
  echo "$fname doesnot exist"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking file existence

Hi, My requirement was to check the existence of a file having a specified pattern.The way i tried to achieve this was if ; then echo "File found" fi an example file having this pattern was 'ilvs_trace01.0124'. it will vary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for existence of a flat file in UNIX !

Hi All, I have a requirement where in i need to check for existence of a file and later execute some pmcmd commands related to informatica. I tried many ways but was unsuccessful could you please throw some light. Below are the sample codes i wrote. Example 1: #!/bin/ksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple file existence

Hi, I want to check multiple files exist or not in a single if statement in korn Shell:confused:. Please help me Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lathish
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file existence and checking file size

I want to check the files in particular directory are more that 0 Bytes i.e, Non zero byte file. The script should print a msg if all the files in that directory are empty( 0 Byte). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathish
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the existence of a file before getting last modified

Hi, I am trying to check the existence of a file, from a list of possible filenames: status-A status-B status-C before retrieving the last modified datetime using ls, I want to check it exists or ls will throw an error. So I have tried this: if ; then ls status-* fi But the if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LostInTheWoods
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking the file existence using ssh

Hi Can any body say me the reason for below error ssh -o 'StrictHostKeyChecking no' user@client ' && print "1"' I am getting error as "Missing ]":wall: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh12621
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking existence of file using awk

Hi, I need to check whether a particular file exists ot not using awk. Can anyone help me please? For Example:script that i am using: awk '{filename =$NF; rc=(system("test -r filename")) print $rc;}' "$1" is not working. Here I am passing a text file as input whose last word contains a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish007
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file existence along with condition

Hi am trying to write a script which find the existence of a file from a find command output and perform a task if the file exists. Help me out with the correct syntax . Am trying with the following one but unable to get the output. if then <some tasks> else echo "file not exists" fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for the file existence

Hi, I have written a script to validate the data file by referreing to the configurtion file. And moving the validated good records and bad records into HDFS. Suppose after 15 mins if i receive one more data fie,then after validation the good and bad records shold be stored in hadoop with the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command script for checking a file existence

Hello, I have a directory where sometimes appear a certain file name - and I'd like to be notified by email when that happens... so what command or script I may use? e.g. if there's a file named "adam" in the directory named "dir1" then send a mail to "abc@abc.com".. it needs to permanently... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: netrom
5 Replies
mcxmap(1)							  USER COMMANDS 							 mcxmap(1)

NAME
      mcxmap - permute or remap the indices of graphs and matrices.

SYNOPSIS
      mcxmap -imx fname (input) [-o fname (output)] [-make-map (output map file name)] [-make-mapc (output map file name)] [-make-mapr (output map
      file name)] [-cmul a (coefficient)] [-cshift b (translate)] [-rmul c (coefficient)] [-rshift d (translate)] [-mul e (coefficient)] [-shift f
      (translate)]  [-map  fname  (row/col  map file)] [-rmap fname (row map file)] [-cmap fname (column map file)] [-mapi fname (row/col map file
      (use inverse))] [-rmapi fname (row map file (use inverse))] [-cmapi fname (column map file (use inverse))] [-tab fname (read (and  map)  tab
      file)]

DESCRIPTION
      This utility relabels graphs or matrices. Its main use is in applying a map file to a given matrix or graph. A map file contains a so called
      map matrix in mcl format that has some special properties (given further below). The functionality of mcxmap can also be provided by mcx, as
      a  mapped  matrix  (i.e.	the  result  of  applying a map matrix to another matrix) is simply the usual matrix product of a matrix and a map
      matrix. However, mcx will construct a new matrix and leave the original matrix to be mapped alone. When dealing with huge matrices,  consid-
      erable  gains  in  efficiency  memory-wise  and  time-wise  can be achieved by doing the mapping in-place.  This is what mcxmap does. In the
      future, its functionality may be embedded in mcx with new mcx operators.

The special properties of a map matrix are

o The column domain and row domain are of the same cardinality.
      o Each column has exactly one entry.
      o Each row domain index occurs in exactly one column.

These properties imply that the matrix can be used as a map from the column domain onto the row domain.  An example map matrix is  found	in
      the EXAMPLES Section.

OPTIONS
      -o fname (output file)
	Output file.

-imx fname (input file)
	Input file.

-map fname (row/col map file))
      -rmap fname (row map file)
      -cmap fname (column map file)
      -mapi fname (row/col map file (use inverse))
      -rmapi fname (row map fil (use inverse))
      -cmapi fname (column map fil (use inverse))
	Different ways to specify map files.

-make-map (output map file name)
      -make-mapc (output map file name)
      -make-mapr (output map file name)
	Generate a map that maps the specified domain onto the appropriate canonical domain and write the map matrix to file.

-cmul a (coefficient)
      -cshift b (translate)
	These  options	have  affect if neither a column map file nor column canonification is specified. If any of the first two options is used,
	column indices i are mapped to a*i+b.

-rmul c (coefficient)
      -rshift d (translate)
	These options have affect if neither a row map file nor row canonification is specified.  If  any  of  the  first  two	options  is  used,
	indices i are mapped to c*i+d.

-mul e (coefficient)
      -shift f (translate)
	If  a  map  file  is  specified for a given domain, neither a map file nor canonification is specified. If any of the first two options is
	used, the indices i will be mapped to e*i+f.

-tab fname (read (and map) tab file)
	This option requires the -map option. mcxmap will output the mapped tab definition.

EXAMPLES
      The matrix below has two canonical domains which are identical.  It denotes a map of the canonical domain onto itself, in which  node  0	is
      relabeled to 8, node 1 is relabeled to 5, et cetera.

(mclheader
      mcltype matrix
      dimensions 12x12
      )
      (mclmatrix
      begin
      0  8  $
      1  5  $
      2  3  $
      3  2  $
      4  4  $
      5  6  $
      6  7  $
      7  9  $
      8  1  $
      9  10 $
      10 11 $
      11 0  $
      )

AUTHOR
      Stijn van Dongen.

SEE ALSO
      mcxio(5), mcx(1), mcxsubs(1), and mclfamily(7) for an overview of all the documentation and the utilities in the mcl family.

mcxmap 12-068 						      8 Mar 2012							   mcxmap(1)