Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking the existence of a file.. Post 302121210 by Shell_Life on Tuesday 12th of June 2007 12:00:13 PM
Old 06-12-2007
Indra,
Try using " (double quote) before and after $fname:
Code:
echo "Please enter a file name"
read fname
if test -f "$fname""
then
  echo "$fname exists"
else
  echo "$fname doesnot exist"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking file existence

Hi, My requirement was to check the existence of a file having a specified pattern.The way i tried to achieve this was if ; then echo "File found" fi an example file having this pattern was 'ilvs_trace01.0124'. it will vary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for existence of a flat file in UNIX !

Hi All, I have a requirement where in i need to check for existence of a file and later execute some pmcmd commands related to informatica. I tried many ways but was unsuccessful could you please throw some light. Below are the sample codes i wrote. Example 1: #!/bin/ksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple file existence

Hi, I want to check multiple files exist or not in a single if statement in korn Shell:confused:. Please help me Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lathish
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file existence and checking file size

I want to check the files in particular directory are more that 0 Bytes i.e, Non zero byte file. The script should print a msg if all the files in that directory are empty( 0 Byte). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathish
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the existence of a file before getting last modified

Hi, I am trying to check the existence of a file, from a list of possible filenames: status-A status-B status-C before retrieving the last modified datetime using ls, I want to check it exists or ls will throw an error. So I have tried this: if ; then ls status-* fi But the if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LostInTheWoods
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking the file existence using ssh

Hi Can any body say me the reason for below error ssh -o 'StrictHostKeyChecking no' user@client ' && print "1"' I am getting error as "Missing ]":wall: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh12621
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking existence of file using awk

Hi, I need to check whether a particular file exists ot not using awk. Can anyone help me please? For Example:script that i am using: awk '{filename =$NF; rc=(system("test -r filename")) print $rc;}' "$1" is not working. Here I am passing a text file as input whose last word contains a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish007
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file existence along with condition

Hi am trying to write a script which find the existence of a file from a find command output and perform a task if the file exists. Help me out with the correct syntax . Am trying with the following one but unable to get the output. if then <some tasks> else echo "file not exists" fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for the file existence

Hi, I have written a script to validate the data file by referreing to the configurtion file. And moving the validated good records and bad records into HDFS. Suppose after 15 mins if i receive one more data fie,then after validation the good and bad records shold be stored in hadoop with the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command script for checking a file existence

Hello, I have a directory where sometimes appear a certain file name - and I'd like to be notified by email when that happens... so what command or script I may use? e.g. if there's a file named "adam" in the directory named "dir1" then send a mail to "abc@abc.com".. it needs to permanently... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: netrom
5 Replies
CCCC(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   CCCC(1)

NAME
cccc - C and C++ Code Counter, a software metrics tool SYNOPSIS
cccc [options] file1.c ... DESCRIPTION
CCCC analyses and reports measurements of source code in C, C++, and Java. It was developed to augment programmers' instinctive applica- tion of numeric rules of thumb about what constitutes high or low quality products with an automated analysis tool. CCCC processes the files listed on its command line. If the filenames include '-', read a list of files from standard input. This program is work in progress and is not well documented. Please be prepared to refer to the source code for the meaning of some options. OPTIONS
--help Generate this help message. --outdir=dname Directory for generated files (default=.cccc). --html_outfile=fname Name of primary HTML report generated (default=outdir/cccc.html). --db_infile=fname Preload internal database from named file (default=no initial content). --db_outfile=fname Save internal database to named file (default=outdir/cccc.db). --opt_infile=fname Load options from named file (default=use compiled-in option values, refer to cccc_opt.cc for option information). --opt_outfile=fname Save options to named file (default=outdir/cccc.opt). --lang=string Use language specified for files specified after this option. Languages supported are c, c++, ada, and java (default=use lan- guage/extension mapping controlled by options). --report_mask=hex Control report content (refer to ccccmain.cc for mask values). --debug_mask=hex Control debug output content (refer to ccccmain.cc for mask values). AUTHOR
CCCC was written by Tim Littlefair <tim_littlefair@hotmail.com>. This manual page was written by Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). CCCC(1)