Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to monitor ports
Operating Systems Solaris how to monitor ports Post 302121199 by sysgate on Tuesday 12th of June 2007 11:17:26 AM
Old 06-12-2007
GhostDog, nice one, I just changed it a little bit per my needs, thanks for sharing that.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python

import socket
import sys

if ( len(sys.argv) != 2 ):
    print "Usage: " + sys.argv[0] + " you must enter IP or FQDN"
    sys.exit(1)

remote_host = sys.argv[1]

for remote_port in [22,80,8080,993]:
        sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
        sock.settimeout(60)
        try:
                sock.connect((remote_host, remote_port))
        except Exception,e:
                print "%d closed " % remote_port
        else:
                print "%d open" % remote_port
        sock.close()

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ports???

Ok, I've been working in the IT field for about 3 years now and I never fully understood the concept of ip ports. I just started a new job that uses Solaris and today it kinda clicked in my head and I want to know if I'm right or wrong. Does each ip address have multiple ports. because we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

Ports

What are some good sites that list all TPC/UDP ports? ~thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ireeneek
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ports...

Hello UNIX people... This is my first foray into the UNIX world so go easy on me... I have a client who has hired me to do some work on his windows stuff, BUT it just so happens his UNIX server started giving him problems... He is running SCO Open Server 5.0.6 The TTY ports won't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TechKnow
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor: Read from the monitor

Hello, I would like to write a script that use the display as an input. In the display there is a list of file. I want to use it as an array and this would be the input in my script. Does somebody know how do I make it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mig8
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ports

When the netstat -an command is run on current unix machine, it seems that there's an excessive amount of ports established (roughly 600). How can I tell what each of these ports are being used for? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastchance551
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Monitor List of Ports

Hi, I'm in need of a script that can monitor a list of 12 ports.. If one of the ports isn't in listening mode then email me.. The list of ports are 26401 - 26412.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eclipseagent
6 Replies

7. Hardware

Fedora 16 dual monitor - dual head - automatic monitor shutdown

Hi, I am experiencing troubles with dual monitors in fedora 16. During boot time both monitors are working, but when system starts one monitor automatically shut down. It happend out of the blue. Some time before when I updated system this happend but then I booted older kernel release and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
0 Replies

8. Linux

Packages that monitor OS configs and service/ports?

I have several Redhat servers and workstations that I need to be able to monitor for any changes and be notified of any changes to the OS. The features I need to specifically monitor are: ports - opening of new ports that are not already in a whitelist services - any starting or attempts to start... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JCDinPGH
1 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

Searching for Saas Monitor service which monitor my servers which are sitting in different providers

Sorry if this is the wrong forum Searching for Saas Monitor service which monitor my servers which are sitting in different providers . This monitor tool will take as less CPU as possible , and will send info about the server to main Dashboard. The info I need is CPU / RAM / my servers status (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies
RDS-PING(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       RDS-PING(1)

NAME
rds-ping -- test reachability of remote node over RDS SYNOPSIS
rds-ping [-c count] [-i interval] [-I local_addr] remote_addr DESCRIPTION
rds-ping is used to test whether a remote node is reachable over RDS. Its interface is designed to operate pretty much the standard ping(8) utility, even though the way it works is pretty different. rds-ping opens several RDS sockets and sends packets to port 0 on the indicated host. This is a special port number to which no socket is bound; instead, the kernel processes incoming packets and responds to them. OPTIONS
The following options are available for use on the command line: -c count Causes rds-ping to exit after sending (and receiving) the specified number of packets. -I address By default, rds-ping will pick the local source address for the RDS socket based on routing information for the destination address (i.e. if packets to the given destination would be routed through interface ib0, then it will use the IP address of ib0 as source address). Using the -I option, you can override this choice. -i timeout By default, rds-ping will wait for one second between sending packets. Use this option to specified a different interval. The timeout value is given in seconds, and can be a floating point number. Optionally, append msec or usec to specify a timeout in milliseconds or microseconds, respectively. Specifying a timeout considerably smaller than the packet round-trip time will produce unexpected results. AUTHORS
rds-ping was written by Olaf Kirch <olaf.kirch@oracle.com>. SEE ALSO
rds(7), rds-info(1), rds-stress(1). BSD
Apr 22, 2008 BSD