Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris changing ip and hostname on solaris Post 302121067 by stdout on Monday 11th of June 2007 04:05:52 PM
Old 06-11-2007
thats why when i see this thread,
i prefer to sys-unconfig -- erase them all, restart from scratch blank system,
there are to many to change.

cheers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what happen when changing Hostname?

I 'm using RH 7.2 Genome in the Network Configuration I change therer are two places one for static hostname for my machine and in DNS hostname I don't know what happen when restarting my PC when connecting using dialer I can't browse the Internet also I can't use sendmail .......Server timeout... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hostname lost when changing user

Hello to all, Does anyone have a clue for the following problem? When I enter into a terminal console window logged as axadmin user, what I find in the prompt is: “axadmin@sunhost$”. But, when I switch to root user, with the command “su -“ and enter the correct password, user root is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_BR
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to stop DHCP from changing hostname

Hi, greetings. I have installed OS 10 on sunfire 240. FOr now let dhcp to give IP address but it keeps chaning hostname. How do I stop this? thanks Jaya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr76413
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing IP & hostname

I have to do this twice. First, A) change IP address, subnet & default gateway. then a few days later B) change IP address again (same subnet & gateway) & hostname. (why twice? To get the vlan stuff out of the way in advance) what is the best way to do A? can all be done through... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
5 Replies

6. Solaris

hostname on Solaris

Hi All, I am wondering how does the hostname command decides what is the actual hostname. Where does the command take the information from? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmishkind
7 Replies

7. Solaris

changing hostname on Solaris 8 ?

hi, does anyone had experience changing hostname on Solaris 8 ? any idea how is it done ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
4 Replies

8. Solaris

SVM - Metadevices are offline after changing hostname solaris x86

Hi , We are facing an issue on one of our solaris x86 server, After changing the hostname and a orderly reboot , all metadevices shows offline. please let us know the steps to restore back all metadevices to working state with this new hostname (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick.sh
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - How to get IP Address from a hostname?

We are using Solaris as our database OS. Can you please help me to know how can i get the IP address of a solaris machine in my network from its hostname? e.g. We have a remote database server with the hostname as xyz. Without connecting to the database OS, can i get the IP address of xyz OS from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anmol Sharma
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris Hostname

Hi, I am installing Solaris 11.3 as a local system using no remote connections. The installer asks for a computer name or would be used as the hostname. Can I select any name ? Like solaris 11 or localhost ? I noticed this is added into the /etc.hosts file later. ie example. localhost ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dylan69
2 Replies
sys-unconfig(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  sys-unconfig(1M)

NAME
sys-unconfig - undo a system's configuration SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/sys-unconfig DESCRIPTION
The sys-unconfig command is used to restore a system's configuration to an "as-manufactured" state, ready to be reconfigured again. The system's configuration consists of hostname, Network Information Service (NIS) domain name, timezone, IP address, IP subnet mask, and root password. This operation is the inverse of those performed by the sysidnet(1M), sysidns(1M), and sysidsys(1M) programs run at boot. See sysidtool(1M). sys-unconfig does the following: o Saves current /etc/inet/hosts file information in /etc/inet/hosts.saved. o If the current /etc/vfstab file contains NFS mount entries, saves the /etc/vfstab file to /etc/vfstab.orig. o Restores the default /etc/inet/hosts file. o Removes the default hostname in /etc/hostname.interface files for all interfaces configured when this command is run. To determine which interfaces are configured, run the command 'ifconfig-a'. The /etc/hostname.interface files corresponding to all of the inter- faces listed in the resulting output, with the exception of the loopback interface (lo0), will be removed. o Removes the default domainname in /etc/defaultdomain. o Restores the timezone to PST8PDT in /etc/TIMEZONE. o Disables the Network Information Service (NIS) and Network Information Service Plus (NIS+) if either NIS or NIS+ was configured. o Removes the file /etc/inet/netmasks. o Removes the file /etc/defaultrouter. o Removes the password set for root in /etc/shadow. o Removes the file /etc/.rootkey. o Executes all system configuration applications. These applications are defined by prior executions of a sysidconfig -a application. (See sysidconfig(1M)). When sys-unconfig is run, all system configuration applications are passed one argument, -u. o Removes the file /etc/resolv.conf. o Disables LDAP by removing /var/ldap/ldap_client_cache, /var/ldap/ldap_client_file, /var/ldap/ldap_client_cred, and /var/ldap/cachemgr.log. o Regenerates keys for sshd(1M). When sys-unconfig is finished, it performs a system shutdown. sys-unconfig is a potentially dangerous utility and can only be run by the super user. FILES
/etc/default/init process control initialization /etc/defaultdomain /etc/defaultrouter /etc/hostname.interface /etc/inet/hosts host name database /etc/inet/netmasks network mask database /etc/nodename /etc/.rootkey super-user's secret key /etc/shadow shadow password file /etc/vfstab virtual file system table /var/nis/NIS_COLD_START /var/yp/binding/*/ypservers ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWadmap | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
init(1M), kdmconfig(1M), sshd(1M), sysidconfig(1M), sysidtool(1M), hosts(4), netmasks(4), shadow(4), attributes(5) NOTES
sys-unconfig is not available on diskless clients. SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2004 sys-unconfig(1M)