Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple Bash Read File question Post 302120815 by lamagra on Friday 8th of June 2007 09:50:03 AM
Old 06-08-2007
All,

If I do an ls -l both files are in the same directory.

Here is what I do to run my simple.sh

./simple.sh test[Tab Complete]

which gives me
./simple.sh test.txt

if I can tab complete it.. i believe it is in the same directory.

I put in the followin code

Code:
FILENAME=$1
while read line
do echo test
echo $line
done < $FILENAME

output was
./simple.sh: line 19: test.txt: No such file or directory

All really good suggestions but I think that there might be something else a miss on this extremely simple script...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dead simple bash script question

I need help writing a bash script that will simply prompt the user with a list of choices, then run an action based on the input. The action is running a wake-on-lan app called etherwake and passing a pre-defined mac address to the syntax. I have defined the three MAC addresses as: MAC1, MAC2,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash question - 2 files together

Hello Friends, I have a simple problem but I can't seem to find a solution, perhaps you could gimme a hand here.. I have to files 1.txt which contains the following 00 01 02 03 and 2.txt which contains the following: 20 21 22 23 All I need is to concatenate these 2 files in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on how to manipulate a SIMPLE text file (using awk?)

I have a simple txt files that looks something like this (The title is a part of the text file) Student Grades --------------- 1 Tim Purser 89 2 John Wayne 56 3 Jenn Hawkins 95 4 Harry Potter 75 Here are my questions: How would I ONLY print the names of students... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjagod123
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question on unix file permission

As I understand the file permissions in UNIX is basically Owner, group, others Lets assume scott user who's primary group is dev creates a file called test.dat and then grants some privileges on that file... scott@unix-host> echo "this is a test" > test.dat scott@unix-host> chmod 640... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while read line loop question

#!/bin/bash count=1 while read line do if (($count > 4)); then awk -v var1="$count" '{printf "%3s%8s%11s%11s%11s\n",var1,$2,$3,$4,$5}' else echo $line fi count=$((count+1)) done < posre_sub.itp > test cat test INPUT: ; position restraints for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question about Reading file by Perl

Hi , I just write a simple function to read the file line by line. But when I run it it says out of memory. I am not sure about the root cause, Can someone help me out of this? :D #! /usr/bin/perl use strict; sub checkAPs{ my $NDPDir = "/home/eweiqqu/NCB/NDP_files/"; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon_Qu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Script to read a tab delimited file and perform simple tasks

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hello! I need help with this problem bash shell scripting that basically just reads the data in a tab delimited file and does the following below 1. Read in the data file Survey.txt and assign the column values to variables of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsmith6932
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)