Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple Bash Read File question Post 302120806 by lamagra on Friday 8th of June 2007 09:27:31 AM
Old 06-08-2007
Simple Bash Read File question

Hello all,

I am trying to write a simple script that will parse through a text/properties file and check a couple of if statements.

Here is what I have so far:

FILENAME=$1
while read line
do
echo $line
done < $FILENAME

When I call ./simple.sh testfile.txt I recieve a file or directory cannot be found.. I know it is something increadibly simple that I am missing.

Thanks,
Lammy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dead simple bash script question

I need help writing a bash script that will simply prompt the user with a list of choices, then run an action based on the input. The action is running a wake-on-lan app called etherwake and passing a pre-defined mac address to the syntax. I have defined the three MAC addresses as: MAC1, MAC2,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash question - 2 files together

Hello Friends, I have a simple problem but I can't seem to find a solution, perhaps you could gimme a hand here.. I have to files 1.txt which contains the following 00 01 02 03 and 2.txt which contains the following: 20 21 22 23 All I need is to concatenate these 2 files in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on how to manipulate a SIMPLE text file (using awk?)

I have a simple txt files that looks something like this (The title is a part of the text file) Student Grades --------------- 1 Tim Purser 89 2 John Wayne 56 3 Jenn Hawkins 95 4 Harry Potter 75 Here are my questions: How would I ONLY print the names of students... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjagod123
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question on unix file permission

As I understand the file permissions in UNIX is basically Owner, group, others Lets assume scott user who's primary group is dev creates a file called test.dat and then grants some privileges on that file... scott@unix-host> echo "this is a test" > test.dat scott@unix-host> chmod 640... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while read line loop question

#!/bin/bash count=1 while read line do if (($count > 4)); then awk -v var1="$count" '{printf "%3s%8s%11s%11s%11s\n",var1,$2,$3,$4,$5}' else echo $line fi count=$((count+1)) done < posre_sub.itp > test cat test INPUT: ; position restraints for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question about Reading file by Perl

Hi , I just write a simple function to read the file line by line. But when I run it it says out of memory. I am not sure about the root cause, Can someone help me out of this? :D #! /usr/bin/perl use strict; sub checkAPs{ my $NDPDir = "/home/eweiqqu/NCB/NDP_files/"; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon_Qu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Script to read a tab delimited file and perform simple tasks

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hello! I need help with this problem bash shell scripting that basically just reads the data in a tab delimited file and does the following below 1. Read in the data file Survey.txt and assign the column values to variables of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsmith6932
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
simple_lock_try(9r)													       simple_lock_try(9r)

NAME
simple_lock_try - General: Tries to assert a simple lock SYNOPSIS
#include <kern/lock.h> boolean_t simple_lock_try( simple_lock_t slock_ptr ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies a pointer to a simple lock structure. You can declare this simple lock structure by using the decl_simple_lock_data routine. DESCRIPTION
The simple_lock_try routine tries to assert a lock with read and write access for the resource associated with the specified simple lock. The main difference between this routine and simple_lock is that simple_lock_try returns immediately if the resource is already locked, while simple_lock spins until the lock has been obtained. Thus, call simple_lock_try when you need a simple lock but the code cannot spin until the lock is obtained. To release a simple lock successfully asserted by simple_lock_try, call the simple_unlock routine. RETURN VALUES
The simple_lock_try routine returns one of the following values: The simple_lock_try routine successfully asserted the simple lock. The simple_lock_try routine failed to assert the simple lock. FILES
SEE ALSO
Routines: decl_simple_lock_data(9r), simple_lock(9r), simple_lock_init(9r), simple_lock_terminate(9r), simple_unlock(9r) Data Structures: slock(9s) simple_lock_try(9r)