Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script that checks for previous instances running Post 302120801 by vgersh99 on Friday 8th of June 2007 09:15:06 AM
Old 06-08-2007
look into 'man fuser' if you have one on AIX.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to limit the number of running instances of a script?

I would like to allow only one instance of a script to run at any moment. I've tried the following solution to count the instances but the result is always the number of running instances plus one and I can't find the problem ps -ef | grep $0 | sed '/^$/ d' | sed '/grep/ d' | wc -l Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oti
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to make a script that checks connection protocol

Hello all, I currently connect to several servers multiple times a day. Most of the time I connect via SSH through the terminal emulator poderosa (my personal favorite), but sometimes I connect via telnet through xstart because I need it to export a GUI. What I want to do is add something to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script stops running the remaining checks after becoming admin

Hi all, I encountered a problem where my script stops running the remaining checks after becoming an admin that is written within the script. For example: ========================================= #!/bin/sh check 1 # Runs successfully check 2 # Runs successfully /com/bin/admin #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seanchew
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to perform record format checks

Hi All, I have a requirement to perform the following checks. Input file is a "|" delimited file and looks like this. A|c1|c2|c3|.... B|G1|G2|G3.... C|H1|H2|H3... A|c4|c5|c6|.... B|G4|G5|G6.... C|H4|H5|H6... Now the check is to see if all the "A" records have a corresponding B... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsjdrr
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] MD5 Checks with Script.

Hi. I'm triyng to make a Bash Script that checks (recursively) the MD5 from all the files in a certain directory and compare them against some other check that should be already done and saved in a file. I've reached to the point where i have the MD5 from the file and the MD5 that the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BiFo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script counting instances of software running on a machine

Hello to all @here, as Iīm new to this forum, I will try to start in a easy way for my first post. Iīm not beginner in scripting, but also not a proffessional. So please keep easy, if I donīt understand your explanation at once ;) I donīt mean it in a bad way! Here is the Problem: There were... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muogli
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that kills previous instances of itself upon running not killing child processes

I'm likely going to explain this clumsily, so apologies in advance: I have the following script: #!/bin/bash pidPrefix="logGen" checkPrime () { if /sbin/ifconfig eth0:0|/bin/grep -wq inet;then isPrime=1;else isPrime=0;fi } killScript () { /usr/bin/find /var/run -name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to performs checks

Hi , I need a script which performs below activity I have one file named "testfile" in 9 different directories with same name. I want to perform below action with each testfile of each directory. if ; then mv listfiles listfiles_`date +%b%y` else echo No Such files fi ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to do the following checks

Hi , I need a script for processing below scenario. I have to check daily by doing ftp IP to check it is logging or not. So i want this activity to be automated such that if login succesful i will get "FTP LOGIN SUCCESS" in a log file and if fails i want the error message in the same log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script function which checks if itself is already running

Hi All, I have a cron job set up which is set to run every 10 seconds. What I need to do is have the script do a check to see if it is already running such that if it is running it wont fire up additional instances and processes according to its normal process. For example if I have a script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
4 Replies
fuser(2)							System Calls Manual							  fuser(2)

NAME
fuser - Reports PIDs and UIDs for files, file systems and/or the devices attached to them. SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/fuser.h> int fuser( char *file, long flag, struct f_user fuser_array[], long sizeof_fuser_array ); PARAMETERS
Specifies the file name. Specifies one of the following values. If none of the following are values are specified, the default is to match open files. Matches only file ids. Provides mount point matching. Matches deleted files on the mount point specified by file. Specifies the array. Specifies the number of elements in the fuser array. DESCRIPTION
The fuser function reports a list of PIDs and UIDs that are associated with a specified file, file system, and/or the devices that are attached to them. The fuser function can report back additional information about "matches" by ORing one of the following constants that can be passed back in the member fu_flags: Current directory Current directory Parent of the current directory At least one file open, but the number open is not known. Executable image. Controlling terminal Trace At least one file is mmapped RETURN VALUES
On success, the fuser function returns the number of fuser_array elements that were found. The contents of the structure are as follows: typedef struct f_user { pid_t fu_pid; int fu_flags; uid_t fu_uid; } f_user_t; If an error has occurred, the fuser function returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the fuser function fails, errno may be set to one of the following values: The array is not large enough to hold the number of array elements returned or the array structure cannot be filled The file parameter specified does not exist EXAMPLES
Open regular files and special files are matched using the flag parameter set at 0L. Thus, if process 127 and 3220 open the /home/try file simultaneously and the fuser function is active, the PIDs and UIDs associated with the home/try file are reported as in the following exam- ple: fuser("/home/try", 0L, fuser_array, (long) (sizeof (fuser_array)/sizeof(fuser_array[0])); Similarly, if the special device file /dev/ttyp2 is open by process 32, then that PID and its associated UID are reported as in the following example: fuser("/dev/ttyp2", 0L, fuser_array, (long) (sizeof (fuser_array)/sizeof(fuser_array[0])); fuser(2)