Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Platform type in Unix
Top Forums Programming Platform type in Unix Post 302120609 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 7th of June 2007 07:57:26 AM
Old 06-07-2007
You're asking questions about basic UNIX stuff in a C programming thread about uname.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C++ on True Unix Platform

Hi all: I would like to get some details about development using C++ on TRUE Unix platform. Can anyone help me ?? Thanks, -Mandar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandar3
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Porting of Windows written unix scripts to unix platform

Can anybody help me in finding out a solution for the problem below? When we write .unix or .sh files in windows OS and port them to Unix platforms there is a character ^M inserted at the end of each line of the script file. During ftp porting I set the transfer mode as ASCII for the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamilselvi
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in choosing Unix Platform.

I'm a completely noob to Unix. I have previously managed quite well Windows OS's but never Unix. -My question is quite simple: I've been investigating what's the easiest and most complex Unix OS. However, it seems there are quite a couple of OS's from which to choose, like: -Darwin ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justanoob
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i am newer to unix platform

i have to select particular fields from a multiple line record. my record is in dump.txt file and looks like this ******************* tipo = abonado simplex, Idiomas = dic1 - none, Operador = estandar Serv. portadora admitido: modem ind = 0 numero telefonico = 79260960, att = 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Most used unix platform as desktop.

Just wonder about this question everytime that how many of us use unix as desktop and prefers which unix platform as desktop. - nilesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynilesh
4 Replies

6. Programming

about unix platform

Hi can any body post example for socket tcpclient in c++ act like browser with HTTp 1.1 and send message for the server (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Net Star
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is unix os or platform?

hellow everyone, iam a new user to linux and i have question about unix os. unix is operating system or platform iam confused. i have read some article about unix but i haven't found the answer what iam searching for. so iam confused in this topic can anyone made it clear. Any types of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paruhang
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

Machine/Hardware platform/Processor type

Hi, I am just confused about these three things which are shown in the output of uname command. I am running RH lINUX 9.0 on hardware having Intel HT CPU. My uname shows uname -p i686 (processor) uname -m i686 (machine) uname -i i386 (hardware) I was about to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dextergenious
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

R plots in UNIX platform

How do you see plots produced in R under UNIX platform? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Double data type C Red Hat platform problem

I'm converting a binary file to ASCII using c code. The folllowing block of code prints correct double value 00000.000000000 on HPUNIX platform. longi double; /* C79 - Price Per Minute */ memcpy(&longi,&rbuff,8); fprintf(wfp,"%015.9f ",longi); prints : 00000.000000000 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: krk
6 Replies
uname(1)						      General Commands Manual							  uname(1)

NAME
uname - Displays information about the operating system SYNOPSIS
uname [-amnrsvp] uname [-S system-name] The uname command displays system information or sets the system name. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: uname: XCU5.0, SVID 4 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Displays all information specified with the -m, -n, -r, -s, and -v options. Displays the type of hardware running the system. Displays the name of the node (this may be a name that the system is known by to a communications network). [Tru64 UNIX] Displays the processor type of the current host. Displays the release number of the operating system. Displays the name of the implementation of the operating system. (This option is on by default.) [Tru64 UNIX] Changes the name of the system to system_name. The system_name argument is restricted to SYS_NMLN-1 characters. The value of SYS_NMLN is implementation specific and is defined in /usr/include/sys/utsname.h. Only users with appropriate privileges can use this option. Displays the operating system version. OPERANDS
None DESCRIPTION
The uname command writes system information to standard output. This command is used primarily to determine which system you are using. The options cause selected information returned by the uname() call to be displayed. NOTES
When the -a option is used, output is displayed in the order: <system> <node> <release> <version> <hardware> When you request information by specifying the individual options, the appropriate information is displayed in the order indicated. [Tru64 UNIX] If the -p option is used, processor information is appended to the output line. The output of uname may include embedded blank spaces, so you should use caution when passing the output to parsing algorithms. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The requested information has been successfully written. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display the complete system name and version banner, enter: uname -a ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of uname: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. FILES
System name information header file. Node specific configuration file. SEE ALSO
Functions: uname(2) Standards: standards(5) uname(1)