Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Platform type in Unix
Top Forums Programming Platform type in Unix Post 302120578 by slash_blog on Thursday 7th of June 2007 06:31:05 AM
Old 06-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilko_partizan
You are seeing a following example.

Code:
#include <sys/utsname.h>

main()
{
    struct utsname sys_inf;

uname(&sys_inf);

printf("System name - %s \n", sys_inf.sysname);
    printf("Nodename    - %s \n", sys_inf.nodename);
    printf("Release     - %s \n", sys_inf.release);
    printf("Version     - %s \n", sys_inf.version);
    printf("Machine     - %s \n", sys_inf.machine);
}

Best regards,
Iliyan Varshilov

But none of them gives processor architecture Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C++ on True Unix Platform

Hi all: I would like to get some details about development using C++ on TRUE Unix platform. Can anyone help me ?? Thanks, -Mandar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandar3
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Porting of Windows written unix scripts to unix platform

Can anybody help me in finding out a solution for the problem below? When we write .unix or .sh files in windows OS and port them to Unix platforms there is a character ^M inserted at the end of each line of the script file. During ftp porting I set the transfer mode as ASCII for the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamilselvi
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in choosing Unix Platform.

I'm a completely noob to Unix. I have previously managed quite well Windows OS's but never Unix. -My question is quite simple: I've been investigating what's the easiest and most complex Unix OS. However, it seems there are quite a couple of OS's from which to choose, like: -Darwin ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justanoob
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i am newer to unix platform

i have to select particular fields from a multiple line record. my record is in dump.txt file and looks like this ******************* tipo = abonado simplex, Idiomas = dic1 - none, Operador = estandar Serv. portadora admitido: modem ind = 0 numero telefonico = 79260960, att = 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Most used unix platform as desktop.

Just wonder about this question everytime that how many of us use unix as desktop and prefers which unix platform as desktop. - nilesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynilesh
4 Replies

6. Programming

about unix platform

Hi can any body post example for socket tcpclient in c++ act like browser with HTTp 1.1 and send message for the server (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Net Star
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is unix os or platform?

hellow everyone, iam a new user to linux and i have question about unix os. unix is operating system or platform iam confused. i have read some article about unix but i haven't found the answer what iam searching for. so iam confused in this topic can anyone made it clear. Any types of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paruhang
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

Machine/Hardware platform/Processor type

Hi, I am just confused about these three things which are shown in the output of uname command. I am running RH lINUX 9.0 on hardware having Intel HT CPU. My uname shows uname -p i686 (processor) uname -m i686 (machine) uname -i i386 (hardware) I was about to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dextergenious
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

R plots in UNIX platform

How do you see plots produced in R under UNIX platform? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Double data type C Red Hat platform problem

I'm converting a binary file to ASCII using c code. The folllowing block of code prints correct double value 00000.000000000 on HPUNIX platform. longi double; /* C79 - Price Per Minute */ memcpy(&longi,&rbuff,8); fprintf(wfp,"%015.9f ",longi); prints : 00000.000000000 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: krk
6 Replies
UNAME(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  UNAME(2)

NAME
uname - get name and information about current kernel SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/utsname.h> int uname(struct utsname *buf); DESCRIPTION
uname returns system information in the structure pointed to by buf. The utsname struct is defined in <sys/utsname.h>: struct utsname { char sysname[]; char nodename[]; char release[]; char version[]; char machine[]; #ifdef _GNU_SOURCE char domainname[]; #endif }; The length of the arrays in a struct utsname is unspecified; the fields are NUL-terminated. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT buf is not valid. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, SVID, POSIX, X/OPEN. There is no uname call in BSD 4.3. The domainname member (the NIS or YP domain name) is a GNU extension. NOTES
This is a system call, and the operating system presumably knows its name, release and version. It also knows what hardware it runs on. So, four of the fields of the struct are meaningful. On the other hand, the field nodename is meaningless: it gives the name of the present machine in some undefined network, but typically machines are in more than one network and have several names. Moreover, the kernel has no way of knowing about such things, so it has to be told what to answer here. The same holds for the additional domainname field. To this end Linux uses the system calls sethostname(2) and setdomainname(2). Note that there is no standard that says that the hostname set by sethostname(2) is the same string as the nodename field of the struct returned by uname (indeed, some systems allow a 256-byte host- name and an 8-byte nodename), but this is true on Linux. The same holds for setdomainname(2) and the domainname field. The length of the fields in the struct varies. Some operating systems or libraries use a hardcoded 9 or 33 or 65 or 257. Other systems use SYS_NMLN or _SYS_NMLN or UTSLEN or _UTSNAME_LENGTH. Clearly, it is a bad idea to use any of these constants - just use sizeof(...). Often 257 is chosen in order to have room for an internet hostname. There have been three Linux system calls uname(). The first one used length 9, the second one used 65, the third one also uses 65 but adds the domainname field. Part of the utsname information is also accessible via sysctl and via /proc/sys/kernel/{ostype, hostname, osrelease, version, domainname}. SEE ALSO
uname(1), getdomainname(2), gethostname(2) Linux 2.5.0 2001-12-15 UNAME(2)