Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /var/cron/log Return Codes
Operating Systems Solaris /var/cron/log Return Codes Post 302120177 by porter on Monday 4th of June 2007 09:13:11 PM
Old 06-04-2007
The exit code of a process is not the same as a error number found in errno.

Returns codes from programs are program specific and should be documented in the relevant manpage for that program. For example grep returns 0, 1 or 2.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Return codes

I have the below script I am running on a Solaris system to check the status of a Tivoli Workload Scheduler job and return the status. We need this script to return a '0' if any of the jobs in the stream are in a "EXEC" state and an "1" if in a "HOLD" state. I am not a programmer so I am not sure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leezer1204
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return codes

Hi, Can anyone tell me if there are return codes for SFTP? If so how would you capture them? I've tried 'man sftp' but its not particularly helpful. Many thanks Helen :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

LAuS error messages in /var/log/cron

I'm running RedHat Linux Enterprise Server ES Version 3 and I've stopped the audit service. Now I'm getting the following error messages in /var/log/cron May 17 07:01:01 pam crond: LAuS error - do_command.c:243 - laus_log: (19) laus_log: No such device May 17 08:01:01 pam crond: (root) CMD... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soliberus
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Return Codes

I have a simple script which renames a file.How do i capture the return code of the script if the script fails (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris01752
3 Replies

5. AIX

AIX and cron logs filtering ?: /etc/cronlog.conf, /var/adm/cron/log

Hi, I can use 'crontabs –e' and do all the scheduling I like. However I would like to auto send myself just the cronjobs logs that fail. That is to say the PIDs that fail and the related lines with those PID’s only. (Not the full set of logs) Has anyone done this work? Or does an AIX 5.3 tool... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Johnson
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with return codes

Hi In an unix script I am using an Perl one liner perl -i -ne '-----' If the perl one liner fails i am not able to catch the return code. It always give 0 as return code. Can you tell me how can i catch the return code perl -i -ne '---' RETCODE=$? echo $RETCODE Thanks and Regards Ammu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp return codes

sftp -v b $putlist $SFTP_ID@TARGET_SERVER How can I get a return code if fails to put the file? sftp -v b $getlist $SFTP_ID@TARGET_SERVER How can I get a return code if fails to put the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TimHortons
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different Return Codes

Hi, I wanted to know the significance of different return codes when we do echo $? I know when $? returns 0 the command has worked successfully. but what does $? = 1, 2, 3 etc. signify. Thanks in advance for the help !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarti.popi
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Oracle return codes?

Having searched high and low through Oracles documentation, I came to think that they're very scripting-averse, as there's (apparently) no list of possible return/exit codes for their various command line utilities. Is anyone here in possession of such a list, or knows where to find one? It... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return Codes...

Not sure if this is of any use but...... I was messing around with getting return codes greater than 255 for special usage... Of course the code could be made simple but in this code the new stored return code is generated as exit is progressing... #!/bin/sh # Real and imaginary return... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
9 Replies
yodlmanpage(7)						    Your Own Document Language						    yodlmanpage(7)

NAME
yodlmanpage - Yodl's `manpage' document type SYNOPSIS
The manpage document type was specifically implemented to write Unix-style manual pages. Other Yodl document formats, such as article, report and book are documented in the Yodl guide and in the manpage for yodlmacros. DESCRIPTION
This manual page briefly describes the manpage document type of the YOLD document language. This document type is specific enough that it warrants a separate manpage. manpage documents do not use the `standard' sectioning commands (e.g., sect() and subsect()), but have specific manpage...() macros. You can however use (and are encouraged to..) other `normal' macros, such as description(...) or itemization(...) for lists, or bf() for bold- face and em() for emphasis. As for fonts, the following is suggested: o Use em(text) when text is a variable, or a placeholder, etc.. o Use bf(text) when text is literal, such as a command, a filename, a directory. Each manpage document in Yodl must be organized as follows: o manpage(name) (section) (date) (package) (source): This is the preamble of the document. It states whatever the page describes, the section where it belongs, the release date, the package that it belongs to, and the source of the package. The section number should be (according to the Linux manpage on man): 1 for commands, 2 for system calls, 3 for library calls, 4 for special files, 5 for file formats, 6 for games, 7 for macro packages and conventions, 8 for system management commands, and 9 for other special sub- jects (e.g., kernel commands). o manpagename(name) (short description): The name is again whatever is described, the short description is what e.g., the whatis database uses for descriptions. o manpagesynopsis(): a very short `usage' information or similar. Keep this section short, e.g., a line with all program options is acceptable but without descriptions (these come later). o manpagedescription(): the purpose of the program and such. This is also the place to document the workings. o manpageoptions(): This is the place to document e.g. the flags that are stated in the manpagesynopsis(). This section is optional, but when present, must appear at this place. o manpagefiles(): relevant files are described in this section. o manpageseealso(): this section lists related manual pages. o manpagediagnostics(): Error conditions, error messages, etc.. o manpagebugs(): This is where known bugs are described. This section is optional. o manpageauthor(): stating the author and/or the maintainer. o manpagesection(NAME): This macro starts a generic, non-required section. E.g., you might want a manpagesection(EXAMPLES) in your document. As a typographic suggestion, use upper case for the NAME argument for consistency reasons. SEE ALSO
yodlstriproff(1), yodl(1), yodlbuiltins(7), yodlconverters(1), yodlletter(7), yodlmacros(7), yodlpost(1), yodlverbinsert(1). BUGS
- AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl), yodl_3.00.0.tar.gz 1996-2010 yodlmanpage(7)