Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /var/cron/log Return Codes
Operating Systems Solaris /var/cron/log Return Codes Post 302120177 by porter on Monday 4th of June 2007 09:13:11 PM
Old 06-04-2007
The exit code of a process is not the same as a error number found in errno.

Returns codes from programs are program specific and should be documented in the relevant manpage for that program. For example grep returns 0, 1 or 2.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Return codes

I have the below script I am running on a Solaris system to check the status of a Tivoli Workload Scheduler job and return the status. We need this script to return a '0' if any of the jobs in the stream are in a "EXEC" state and an "1" if in a "HOLD" state. I am not a programmer so I am not sure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leezer1204
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return codes

Hi, Can anyone tell me if there are return codes for SFTP? If so how would you capture them? I've tried 'man sftp' but its not particularly helpful. Many thanks Helen :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

LAuS error messages in /var/log/cron

I'm running RedHat Linux Enterprise Server ES Version 3 and I've stopped the audit service. Now I'm getting the following error messages in /var/log/cron May 17 07:01:01 pam crond: LAuS error - do_command.c:243 - laus_log: (19) laus_log: No such device May 17 08:01:01 pam crond: (root) CMD... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soliberus
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Return Codes

I have a simple script which renames a file.How do i capture the return code of the script if the script fails (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris01752
3 Replies

5. AIX

AIX and cron logs filtering ?: /etc/cronlog.conf, /var/adm/cron/log

Hi, I can use 'crontabs –e' and do all the scheduling I like. However I would like to auto send myself just the cronjobs logs that fail. That is to say the PIDs that fail and the related lines with those PID’s only. (Not the full set of logs) Has anyone done this work? Or does an AIX 5.3 tool... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Johnson
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with return codes

Hi In an unix script I am using an Perl one liner perl -i -ne '-----' If the perl one liner fails i am not able to catch the return code. It always give 0 as return code. Can you tell me how can i catch the return code perl -i -ne '---' RETCODE=$? echo $RETCODE Thanks and Regards Ammu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp return codes

sftp -v b $putlist $SFTP_ID@TARGET_SERVER How can I get a return code if fails to put the file? sftp -v b $getlist $SFTP_ID@TARGET_SERVER How can I get a return code if fails to put the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TimHortons
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different Return Codes

Hi, I wanted to know the significance of different return codes when we do echo $? I know when $? returns 0 the command has worked successfully. but what does $? = 1, 2, 3 etc. signify. Thanks in advance for the help !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarti.popi
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Oracle return codes?

Having searched high and low through Oracles documentation, I came to think that they're very scripting-averse, as there's (apparently) no list of possible return/exit codes for their various command line utilities. Is anyone here in possession of such a list, or knows where to find one? It... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return Codes...

Not sure if this is of any use but...... I was messing around with getting return codes greater than 255 for special usage... Of course the code could be made simple but in this code the new stored return code is generated as exit is progressing... #!/bin/sh # Real and imaginary return... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
9 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)