Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Whic Linux OS?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Whic Linux OS? Post 302120023 by porter on Saturday 2nd of June 2007 05:13:44 PM
Old 06-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xramm
Could you please tell me how much GB partition I need for Linux optimal ?
How long is a piece of string? I have a 2.5 gig partition for Etch and it does what I need it to do, but I don't have KDE or Gnome installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xramm
what do you mean exactly with grub ? in "dual boot with grub"
If you have two operating systems installed, when you switch the machine on, which OS is going to run? Grub is a bootloader that helps make this decision possible.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
GTF(1)							      General Commands Manual							    GTF(1)

NAME
gtf - calculate VESA GTF mode lines SYNOPSIS
gtf h-resolution v-resolution refresh [-v|--verbose] [-f|--fbmode] [-x|--xorgmode] DESCRIPTION
Gtf is a utility for calculating VESA GTF modes. Given the desired horizontal and vertical resolutions and refresh rate (in Hz), the parameters for a matching VESA GTF mode are printed out. Two output formats are supported: mode lines suitable for the Xorg xorg.conf(5) file, and mode parameters suitable for the Linux fbset(8) utility. OPTIONS
-v|--verbose Enable verbose printouts This shows a trace for each step of the computation. -x|--xorgmode Print the mode parameters as Xorg-style mode lines. This is the default format. -f|--fbset Print the mode parameters in a format suitable for fbset(8). SEE ALSO
xorg.conf(5), cvt(1) AUTHOR
Andy Ritger. This program is based on the Generalized Timing Formula (GTF(TM)) Standard Version: 1.0, Revision: 1.0. The GTF Excel(TM) spreadsheet, a sample (and the definitive) implementation of the GTF Timing Standard is available at <ftp://ftp.vesa.org/pub/GTF/VTF_V1R1.xls>. X Version 11 xorg-server 1.12.4 GTF(1)