Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun Fire v1280 is crashing
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sun Fire v1280 is crashing Post 302120021 by esofthub on Saturday 2nd of June 2007 04:57:23 PM
Old 06-02-2007
Thanks Porter

I should be talking with the guy tomorrow. I'll pass on the advice. Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Fire 280R

Hello all, I'm lost and can't figure this problem out. I have a Sun fire 280R running Solaris 8. Everything was working great. I have one drive in bay 1(not 0). But when I reboot the system it trys to open files in /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0. Should it have been opeing /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryase
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun Fire v440 keeps shutting down

Hello, I hope you can help me. I am new to Sun servers and we have a Sun Fire v440 server in which one power supply failed, we are waiting for new one. But now our server is shutting down constantly. Is there any setting with which we can prevent this behaviour? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tibor
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun Fire V1280 / E2900 / Netra 1280

Hello, I'm trying to fix this server System Board (CPU/Memory Unit). The error indicates that its missing 3.3VDC. So far all the fuses and caps have been checked. I new at this type of machine, need help for idea on this system. Thank you in advance. Vu (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhtran
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Fire T 2000 Booting problem

Dear All, I am facing a specfic problem with my New SunFire T2000.Recently we bought new sunfire T2000 sparc server.When i am trying to install solaris 10 through cdrom , I get error messgae Error:Last Trap: Instaruction Access Exception {0} ok boot cdrom Boot device:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris8in
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Sun Fire v440 hardware problem (can't get ok>)

First of all it's shut down 60 second after power on and write on console : SC Alert: Correct SCC not replaced - shutting managed system down! This is cured by moving out battery from ALOM card. Now server start to loop during the testing. That's on the console: >@(#) Sun Fire V440,Netra... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alisher
14 Replies

7. Solaris

Connect using ALOM to Sun Fire V210

I have bought from eBay a second hand Sun Fire V210 server and I'm really stumped at the lack of complete instructions on how to connect to it. I don't have a Windows machine, I've only got Ubuntu and OS X computers. None of them have an old RS-232 port on them either. In saying that, I have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: danijeljames
12 Replies

8. Solaris

Sun Fire 4800 is not powering-on

I switched on the power to the server. But, the server did not power on i.e., none of the 3 LEDs on the front panel is lighted. (Power supplies are showing only amber LEDs with "Ready to remove" sign). I tried to turn on the power supplies via System Controller menu (platform shell), but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solind
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun fire x2270

Hello, I have purchaced an old SUn fire x2270 server . I wanted to make ILOM upgrade to the latest version of software : ILOM 3.0.9.18.a r126592 BIOS vers. 2.09 Server 2.2.3 (10-Aug-2018) Because my version is very outdated. But i can't download the updatebecause it's require... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LouisLakoute
4 Replies
MADVISE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							MADVISE(2)

NAME
madvise, posix_madvise -- give advice about use of memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); int posix_madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The madvise() system call allows a process that has knowledge of its memory behavior to describe it to the system. The advice passed in may be used by the system to alter its virtual memory paging strategy. This advice may improve application and system performance. The behavior specified in advice can only be one of the following values: MADV_NORMAL Indicates that the application has no advice to give on its behavior in the specified address range. This is the system default behavior. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_NORMAL Same as MADV_NORMAL but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_SEQUENTIAL Indicates that the application expects to access this address range in a sequential manner. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_SEQUENTIAL Same as MADV_SEQUENTIAL but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_RANDOM Indicates that the application expects to access this address range in a random manner. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_RANDOM Same as MADV_RANDOM but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_WILLNEED Indicates that the application expects to access this address range soon. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_WILLNEED Same as MADV_WILLNEED but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_DONTNEED Indicates that the application is not expecting to access this address range soon. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_DONTNEED Same as MADV_DONTNEED but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_FREE Indicates that the application will not need the information contained in this address range, so the pages may be reused right away. The address range will remain valid. This is used with madvise() system call. MADV_ZERO_WIRED_PAGES Indicates that the application would like the wired pages in this address range to be zeroed out if the address range is deallocated without first unwiring the pages (i.e. a munmap(2) without a preceding munlock(2) or the application quits). This is used with madvise() system call. The posix_madvise() behaves same as madvise() except that it uses values with POSIX_ prefix for the advice system call argument. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
madvise() fails if one or more of the following are true: [EINVAL] The value of advice is incorrect. [EINVAL] The address range includes unallocated regions. [ENOMEM] The virtual address range specified by the addr and len are outside the range allowed for the address space. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(caddr_t addr, size_t len, int advice); int posix_madvise(caddr_t addr, size_t len, int advice); The include file <sys/types.h> is necessary. The type of addr has changed. SEE ALSO
mincore(2), minherit(2), mprotect(2), msync(2), munmap(2), compat(5) HISTORY
The madvise function first appeared in 4.4BSD. The posix_madvise function is part of IEEE 1003.1-2001 and was first implemented in Mac OS X 10.2. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD