Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Run a program for every file with a given extension Post 302119818 by ghostdog74 on Friday 1st of June 2007 02:28:03 AM
Old 06-01-2007
you can find those files in Python itself. this way, you don't have to maintain an extra shell script.
some of the modules in Python you can use to find files are: os.walk(), glob , os.path.splitext() etc...

here's a snippet:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
import os
for root,dir,files in os.walk("/home"):
    for file in files:
        if file[-3:]==".lc":
            fullpath=os.path.join(root,file)
            do_something(fullpath)

however, if you want to use the shell to find those files, you can use "find" command
Code:
find /path -type f -name "*.lc" -print > file # or pipe to you python program

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to run debugging on c program

Can someone help me debug a c program I am running? It gives me segmentation fault. I want to turn on debugging. Can some one give the command to turn it on? Below is the error I get: Segmentation Fault (core dumped) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibeg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting a program to run

Please help, I have tried to run this program countless times and still nothing. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. $ cat>test count=1 while do echo "5" read number echo $5 let count=count+ 1 done exit 0 ^C$ ksh test $ ^C $ ksh test $ $ nothing happend (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctiamaria
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i run java program from any where

Hello all sorry didnt know where to post it i compiled simple program that using "System.getProperty("user.dir");" now i compiled the program under directory foo and and its running great when i do "java myapp" i included this directory in the $PATH env variable so i could see it fro any where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cannot run program

Hi, I have a program in /opt/local/bin, my path in my .profile is export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH however when i type the program name it cannot find it, however i know the program is in /opt/local/bin? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run this program with only one input file at a time

i have a program ABC, which runs every two minutes and takes the input according to the a value called "pointer" files need to be processed by ABC are input0001 input0002 input0003 input0004 input0005 current value of pointer is 0001, now program runs and takes all the files from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prat007
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hey, im editing the passwd file so that when the user ben logs in it runs my assign program. I changed the last column from to Then when i log in i get... There is no problem with the program because it runs fine when i open it normally. Any help much appreciated. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAFC_99
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to run a python program on multiple entries in a file

Hello I am trying to run a python program using shell script, which takes a single argument from a file. This file has one entry per line : 1aaa 2bbb 3ccc 4ddd 5eee ... ... ... My shell script runs the program, only for the last entry : #!/bin/sh IFS=$'\n' for line in $(cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error compiling program with extension .c

good morning, I have 64-bit DB2 V9.7 AIX 7.1.0.0 I am compiling a C program, when running cc-I / rutadb2/include-c programa.c this error. ksh: cc: not found. how I can check if I have installed the C compiler? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much and best regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a program-print parameters to output file-replace op file contents with max 4th col

Hi Friends, This is the only solution to my task. So, any help is highly appreciated. I have a file cat input1.bed chr1 100 200 abc chr1 120 300 def chr1 145 226 ghi chr2 567 600 unix Now, I have another file by name input2.bed (This file is a binary file not readable by the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't get my program to run -- GC calculator?

have been trying for a few weeks not to get this program running. I am newer to programming and it has definitely been a challenge. I think my problem arises with my if statement. I can get it to append the name to the new file, but it simply appends the whole sequence to the file rather than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haley6719
3 Replies
DH_PYTHON(1)							     Debhelper							      DH_PYTHON(1)

NAME
dh_python - calculates Python dependencies and adds postinst and prerm Python scripts (deprecated) SYNOPSIS
dh_python [debhelperoptions] [-n] [-V version] [moduledirs...] DESCRIPTION
Note: This program is deprecated. You should use dh_python2 instead. This program will do nothing if debian/pycompat or a Python-Version control file field exists. dh_python is a debhelper program that is responsible for generating the ${python:Depends} substitutions and adding them to substvars files. It will also add a postinst and a prerm script if required. The program will look at Python scripts and modules in your package, and will use this information to generate a dependency on python, with the current major version, or on pythonX.Y if your scripts or modules need a specific python version. The dependency will be substituted into your package's control file wherever you place the token ${python:Depends}. If some modules need to be byte-compiled at install time, appropriate postinst and prerm scripts will be generated. If already byte- compiled modules are found, they are removed. If you use this program, your package should build-depend on python. OPTIONS
module dirs If your package installs Python modules in non-standard directories, you can make dh_python check those directories by passing their names on the command line. By default, it will check /usr/lib/site-python, /usr/lib/$PACKAGE, /usr/share/$PACKAGE, /usr/lib/games/$PACKAGE, /usr/share/games/$PACKAGE and /usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages. Note: only /usr/lib/site-python, /usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages and the extra names on the command line are searched for binary (.so) modules. -V version If the .py files your package ships are meant to be used by a specific pythonX.Y version, you can use this option to specify the desired version, such as 2.3. Do not use if you ship modules in /usr/lib/site-python. -n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/prerm scripts. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.5.7 Python policy, version 0.3.7 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> most ideas stolen from Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> 9.20120909 2011-12-06 DH_PYTHON(1)