Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi) Post 302119745 by lazytech on Thursday 31st of May 2007 04:53:31 PM
Old 05-31-2007
There probably is no need to make this statement but it can't be stressed enough. Back up any files that you intend on editing no matter how little of a change you plan to make.
Easiest way to do this is make a copy of the file and append the date, time, or relevant note to the end of the file name if you need to ever go back to the original. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I get the last modified date of a file?

I am trying to load a group of files and their last dates modified into a text file that will in turn be used with SQL*Loader to load these files into Oracle. I am using a *.ksh script. I am getting the name of the file in by using the following: for file_ext in 'cat loaddir.ext'; do find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akpopa
2 Replies

2. Programming

File last modified

I cannot read the last moment the file was modified - it returns "Most recent access" instead: code: </td> <th><?FILE *fatr=fopen(iindname.c_str(), "r"); if(fatr){ struct stat statbuf; fstat(fileno(fatr), &statbuf); fclose(fatr); ?> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file modified

Hi, I have a monitoring script that I run, and I would like to automate checking if specific parameter file is modified during the last day or two. How do I do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

who modified my file!!

Hi EVERYONE!!... Just a simple (yet critical from my perspective) doubt... I would like to know who had edited my file.. when I use ls -l command, I see my ID.. but when I edit using some other ID, I had expected that ID to be shown.. but still ls -l shows my ID only.. So, is there any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a filename modified by attaching modified timestamp

Hi, I want to modify a filename in AIX by attaching the last modified timestamp. I want the timestamp completely in numerical format (eg:200905081210. yr-2009, mnth - 05, date -08, hr - 12, mins - 10). For example if the filename is a.log and it was modified on April 6th 2008 at 21.00. I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ruks
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How long since file has been modified

how can I find out if a file has been modified less than 24hrs ago (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file modified more than once

Hi All, How to find a file modified more than once.... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The original AF counter that has yet to be modified.

Hi guys... This was my original attempt at the AF Frequency Counter for the AudioScope.sh project... #!/bin/bash # Set the startup values... data="?" freq=0 number="" subscript=0 waveform=0 # An initial screen... clear printf "\nA simple 50 Hz to 3500 Hz audio frequency... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Who has modified a file - History?

Hello, I'd want to know who and what time has modified a file in unix (history). I'd like to know all people who has modified a file. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nurinolo
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is original file modified when pigz is interrupted?

I had to stop a pigz (parallel gzip) compression before it completed. Is the original uncompressed file changed/corrupted? I was under the impression that the original file is not changed during compression, though it is deleted if the compression is successful. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colin123
1 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)