Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Exiting eXceed window kills my process Post 302119713 by jgt on Thursday 31st of May 2007 11:27:52 AM
Old 05-31-2007
What happens if you start myapplication in the background from the system console, or start it as a service somewhere in /etc/rc2.d ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit from telnet kills orbix process

Hi, I'm using a bourne shell to kick off a 3rd Pty app. This app uses Orbix. When I exit from the telnet session which started the app or hit CTRL-C at the command line, the orbix process dies, yet all other process remain. I've tried starting the app as a background process, but it still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgarm
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

window 2000 professional not pinging my window 98 system.

Hello, We someone help me resolve this problem. I have window 2000 professional, windows 98 and Unixware 7.0.1 on the network. I was able to establish connection with all. However, l was unable to ping window 98 from window 2000 professional. I was able to ping the window 2000 from the window... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Exiting while true loop when terminal is not the focus window

I am running an Ubuntu Gutsy laptop with Advanced Compiz fusion options enabled. I am using xdotool to simulate keyboard input in order to rotate through multiple desktops. I am looking for a way to kill a while true loop when the Enter key (or Control+C if it is easier) is pushed when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acclaypool
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kills command

what are the header files required for the kills command in kernel version 2.4? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shwe
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get rid of message when script kills process it started?

When I run the following script I get the following error message whcih I would like to suppress when the kill is issued: ./kill.sh: line 13: 31854 Killed nc -l -p 12345 Script: #!/bin/bash echo running nc in the background nc -l -p 12345 & PID=$! echo nc pid: $PID ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmarkle
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH starting nohup'd process - not exiting

I'm trying to ssh into a remote server, run a script which may or may not start a nohup'd background process and then exit leaving the process running on the remote server. I'm looping through a number of servers to do this but the script hangs as soon as it comes to a server where the remote... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_H
3 Replies

7. AIX

How to kill exiting process in AIX

I could not able to kill two process which is running in the required port for me.Can any body help me to kill the exiting process. - 27000908 - - - <exiting> - 30998528 - - - <exiting> (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanta
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Send Email to a user when an admin kills process

Can anyone create or give me a script that I can use to email a user automatically when I kill one of their processes? Or Can you give me a script to allow me to email a user (entering email manually) when a process is killed? Like showing what the PID was and a reason the admin killed it? Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeGazz84
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process with tee is not exiting out

Hi I have a script which we are calling as below from another script but it does not exit out and just hang there. main.ksh #!/bin.ksh echo "test1" test.ksh | tee /tmp/abc.txt echo "test2" it prints test1 and then just hangs on test.ksh | tee /tmp/abc.txt if i check the messages from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Toggle between xterm window and standard terminal window

Is it possible to toggle back and forth between an xterm invoked from one tty, and a shell invoked from a different tty? I am running Centos 7 with KDE and booting in non-graphic mode. After logging in on the default window (/dev/tty1) , I can then use ALT-F2 to access a new window (/dev/tty2),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhgscty
1 Replies
init.d(4)																 init.d(4)

NAME
init.d - initialization and termination scripts for changing init states SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d /etc/init.d is a directory containing initialization and termination scripts for changing init states. These scripts are linked when appro- priate to files in the rc?.d directories, where `?' is a single character corresponding to the init state. See init(1M) for definitions of the states. The service management facility (see smf(5)) is the preferred mechanism for service initiation and termination. The init.d and rc?.d direc- tories are obsolete, and are provided for compatibility purposes only. Applications launched from these directories by svc.startd(1M) are incomplete services, and will not be restarted on failure. File names in rc?.d directories are of the form [SK]nn<init.d filename>, where S means start this job, K means kill this job, and nn is the relative sequence number for killing or starting the job. When entering a state (init S,0,2,3,etc.) the rc[S0-6] script executes those scripts in /etc/rc[S0-6].d that are prefixed with K followed by those scripts prefixed with S. When executing each script in one of the /etc/rc[S0-6] directories, the /sbin/rc[S0-6] script passes a single argument. It passes the argument 'stop' for scripts prefixed with K and the argument 'start' for scripts prefixed with S. There is no harm in applying the same sequence number to multiple scripts. In this case the order of execution is deterministic but unspecified. Guidelines for selecting sequence numbers are provided in README files located in the directory associated with that target state. For example, /etc/rc[S0-6].d/README. Absence of a README file indicates that there are currently no established guidelines. Do not put /etc/init.d in your $PATH. Having this directory in your $PATH can cause unexpected behavior. The programs in /etc/init.d are associated with init state changes and, under normal circumstances, are not intended to be invoked from a command line. Example 1: Example of /sbin/rc2. When changing to init state 2 (multi-user mode, network resources not exported), /sbin/rc2 is initiated by the svc.startd(1M) process. The following steps are performed by /sbin/rc2. 1. In the directory /etc/rc2.d are files used to stop processes that should not be running in state 2. The filenames are prefixed with K. Each K file in the directory is executed (by /sbin/rc2) in alphanumeric order when the system enters init state 2. See example below. 2. Also in the rc2.d directory are files used to start processes that should be running in state 2. As in Step 1, each S file is executed. Assume the file /etc/init.d/netdaemon is a script that will initiate networking daemons when given the argument 'start', and will terminate the daemons if given the argument 'stop'. It is linked to /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon, and to /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon. The file is executed by /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon start when init state 2 is entered and by /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon stop when shutting the system down. svcs(1), init(1M), svc.startd(1M), svccfg(1M), smf(5) Solaris now provides an expanded mechanism, which includes automated restart, for applications historically started via the init script mechanism. The Service Management Facility (introduced in smf(5)) is the preferred delivery mechanism for persistently running applica- tions. Existing init.d scripts will, however, continue to be executed according to the rules in this manual page. The details of execution in relation to managed services are available in svc.startd(1M). On earlier Solaris releases, a script named with a suffix of '.sh' would be sourced, allowing scripts to modify the environment of other scripts executed later. This behavior is no longer supported; for altering the environment in which services are run, see the setenv sub- command in svccfg(1M). /sbin/rc2 has references to the obsolescent rc.d directory. These references are for compatibility with old INSTALL scripts. New INSTALL scripts should use the init.d directory for related executables. The same is true for the shutdown.d directory. 17 Aug 2005 init.d(4)