Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Strange Real Memory usage behavior Post 302119694 by Skyybugg on Thursday 31st of May 2007 10:14:14 AM
Old 05-31-2007
John thanks for the perspective and questions.
May 19: I shut down the box. IBM Installed the memory, then I booted up the box. Nmon reports show available memory hovered around 33-35GB.

I have CPU/memory monitoring data from nmon each hour 24/7/365. This is how I was able to see that on May 26 through today available memory went from 35GB all the way down to 2.5 GB.
My attachement is currently what is typical as far as how much memory the application is using. You can see that there is no paging. The box is not breaking a sweat.

A caveat. We are still running AIX 5.1 ML04. In a week we will upgrade to AIX 5.3 TL04. This series of downtimes were set to upgrade harware, Oracle, AIX, MQ, CPU/memory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

2. AIX

Real memory usage is reaching 99.99%

Hi i am new to aix , we are using aix 5.3 version and model is 510 and 520 model servers. in our servers contains 8 gb ram. but servers average ram usage is reaching 99.9% , can any body help on this , is any impact if memory usage reach 99.9%. Regards Balaji Poola (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balajipoola007
2 Replies

3. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

4. Programming

Strange behavior in C++

I have the following program: int main(int argc, char** argv){ unsigned long int mean=0; for(int i=1;i<10;i++){ mean+=poisson(12); cout<<mean<<endl; } cout<<"Sum of poisson: "<< mean; return 0; } when I run it, I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Ubuntu strange behavior

It is so till login screen. I mean that when I boot my computer, Ubuntu shows a splash screen with mouse instead of Ubuntu logo and in the login screen it shows XUbuntu login screen... It began when I upgraded to previous kernel, I suppose, but I'm not sure... I can't say that it annoys me very... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
6 Replies

6. AIX

Strange memory behavior

Hello together, i have a strange memory behavior on a AIX 7.1 System, which i cannot explain. The Filesystem-Cache will not be grow up and drops often after few minutes. I know if a file was deleted, that the same segment in the FS-Cache will also be cleared. But i am not sure if this is the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: -=XrAy=-
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior on one of my server

I am not sure what is wrong, but I have some strange behavior when printing things out. I do create a file with only one word test, no space, no new line etc. nano file<enter> test<ctrl x>y<enter> Server 1 gets (fail) awk '{print "+"$0"*"}' file *test Server 2 gets (OK) awk '{print... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

8. AIX

Strange behavior with tar

I am trying to create an archive using tar. I am specifying a list of directories using the -L option. For testing purposes I created a simple directory structure: /backup/test /backup/test/test1 /backup/test/test2 The file specified by the -L option, named files.txt, contains:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: judykstra
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior of grep

Hi All, I am facing a strange problem while grepping for a process. Here is the small script that i have written. It will look for any process running with the parameter passed to the script. If no process is running it should print appropriate message. $ cat t.ksh #!/bin/ksh set -x ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Ctrl+C behavior

Hello All, I have a strange issue. I've created a shell script which connects to RMAN (Oracle Recovery Manager) and executes full DB backup. I then executed this script with nohup and in the background: $ nohup my_script.sh > logfile.log 2>&1 &The issue is that when I tried to take a look into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
6 Replies
MLOCK(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  MLOCK(2)

NAME
mlock - disable paging for some parts of memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int mlock(const void *addr, size_t len); DESCRIPTION
mlock disables paging for the memory in the range starting at addr with length len bytes. All pages which contain a part of the specified memory range are guaranteed be resident in RAM when the mlock system call returns successfully and they are guaranteed to stay in RAM until the pages are unlocked by munlock or munlockall, until the pages are unmapped via munmap, or until the process terminates or starts another program with exec. Child processes do not inherit page locks across a fork. Memory locking has two main applications: real-time algorithms and high-security data processing. Real-time applications require determin- istic timing, and, like scheduling, paging is one major cause of unexpected program execution delays. Real-time applications will usually also switch to a real-time scheduler with sched_setscheduler. Cryptographic security software often handles critical bytes like passwords or secret keys as data structures. As a result of paging, these secrets could be transfered onto a persistent swap store medium, where they might be accessible to the enemy long after the security software has erased the secrets in RAM and terminated. Memory locks do not stack, i.e., pages which have been locked several times by calls to mlock or mlockall will be unlocked by a single call to munlock for the corresponding range or by munlockall. Pages which are mapped to several locations or by several processes stay locked into RAM as long as they are locked at least at one location or by at least one process. On POSIX systems on which mlock and munlock are available, _POSIX_MEMLOCK_RANGE is defined in <unistd.h> and the value PAGESIZE from <lim- its.h> indicates the number of bytes per page. NOTES
With the Linux system call, addr is automatically rounded down to the nearest page boundary. However, POSIX 1003.1-2001 allows an imple- mentation to require that addr is page aligned, so portable applications should ensure this. RETURN VALUE
On success, mlock returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, errno is set appropriately, and no changes are made to any locks in the address space of the process. ERRORS
ENOMEM Some of the specified address range does not correspond to mapped pages in the address space of the process or the process tried to exceed the maximum number of allowed locked pages. EPERM The calling process does not have appropriate privileges. Only root processes are allowed to lock pages. EINVAL len was not a positive number. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1b, SVr4. SVr4 documents an additional EAGAIN error code. SEE ALSO
mlockall(2), munlock(2), munlockall(2), munmap(2), setrlimit(2) Linux 1.3.43 1995-11-26 MLOCK(2)