Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xml parsing error in perl
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users xml parsing error in perl Post 302119576 by cbkihong on Wednesday 30th of May 2007 10:59:35 PM
Old 05-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishweshwar
ERROR!!!!---Undefined subroutine &main::start called at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Expat.pm line 469.

*********************PERL CODE************************
# include package
use XML::Parser;
# initialize parser
$xp = new XML::Parser;
# set callback functions
$xp->setHandlers(Start => \&start, END => \&end, Char => \&cdata);
# parse XML
$xp->parsefile("page1.xml");
But where are the start(), end() and cdata() subroutines? Are you sure you have defined them in your code? As you are trying to pass reference to those to XML::Parser. If they are not defined, XML::Parser on dereferencing them will cause the error. It's not even a parsing error so there is nothing to do with your XML file.

In fact you can repeat the error with something as simple as

Code:
root@xxxxxx:~ # perl -w -e '$a = \&xxxx; &$a'
Undefined subroutine &main::xxxx called at -e line 1.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing xml

I want to use wget comment to parse an xml parse that exist in an online website. How can I connect it using shell script through Unix and how can I parse it?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnut
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl parsing compared to Ksh parsing

#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w $ip = "$ARGV"; $rw = "$ARGV"; $snmpg = "/usr/local/bin/snmpbulkget -v2c -Cn1 -Cn2 -Os -c $rw"; $snmpw = "/usr/local/bin/snmpwalk -Os -c $rw"; $syst=`$snmpg $ip system sysName sysObjectID`; sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random XML Parsing - using Perl

Given the XML: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <reference> <refbody> <section> <p> <ul> <li><xref href="file1.dita#anchor" /></li> <li><xref href="file2.dita#anchor" /></li> </ul> </p> </section> <section> <p> <xref href="file3.dita#anchor" /> </p> <p> <xref... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricksj
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash XML Parsing using Perl XPath

I have a bash script that needs to read input from an XML file, which includes varying numbers of a certain type of child node. I want to be able to iterate through all the child nodes of a given parent. I installed the Perl XML-XPath package from search.cpan.org. Once it's installed, from bash,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfmorales
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML

Learned People, Hello ! Till today, for the most part, all of the tricky questions/situations that I encountered were already posted by other folks and all I had to do was peruse through these one at a time and I could find some sort of an answer and all I had to do was add some minor tweaks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManoharMa
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML

I am trying to parse an xml file and trying to grab certain values and inserting them into database table. I have the following xml that I am parsing: <dd:service name="locator" link="false"> <dd:activation mode="manual" /> <dd:run mode="direct_persistent" proxified="false" managed="true"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: $criptKid617
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing XML result by using perl?

for some reasons, i need to parse the XML result by using perl. for instance, this is a sample XML result: <Response> <status>success</status> <answer>AAA::AAA</answer> <answer>BBB::BBB</answer> </Response> then i can use this way : my @output = (); foreach my $parts (@all) ##@all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in parsing XML output file in perl.

Hi I have an XML output like : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> - <envelope> - <body> - <outputGetUsageSummary> - <usgSumm rerateDone="5"> - <usageAccum accumId="269" accumCaptn="VD_DP_AR" inclUnits="9999999.00" inclUnitsUsed="0.00" shared="false" pooled="false"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML: parsing of the Google contacts XML file

I am trying to parse the XML Google contact file using tools like xmllint and I even dived into the XSL Style Sheets using xsltproc but I get nowhere. I can not supply any sample file as it contains private data but you can download your own contacts using this script: #!/bin/sh # imports... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xsltproc showing error in parsing xml...help required

I need to parse text between xml tags using xsltproc. It seems the easiest way. Here the Input file looks like <?xml version="1.0" ?> - <tag:ROOT xmlns:as="http://some.org/some.xsd" xmlns:tag="http://www.tag.org/schemas" xmlns:xs="http://some.org/"> - <tag:L1> - <tag:L2> - <tag:L3> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_1
2 Replies
Parser::Style::Stream(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Parser::Style::Stream(3)

NAME
XML::Parser::Style::Stream - Stream style for XML::Parser SYNOPSIS
use XML::Parser; my $p = XML::Parser->new(Style => 'Stream', Pkg => 'MySubs'); $p->parsefile('foo.xml'); { package MySubs; sub StartTag { my ($e, $name) = @_; # do something with start tags } sub EndTag { my ($e, $name) = @_; # do something with end tags } sub Characters { my ($e, $data) = @_; # do something with text nodes } } DESCRIPTION
This style uses the Pkg option to find subs in a given package to call for each event. If none of the subs that this style looks for is there, then the effect of parsing with this style is to print a canonical copy of the document without comments or declarations. All the subs receive as their 1st parameter the Expat instance for the document they're parsing. It looks for the following routines: o StartDocument Called at the start of the parse . o StartTag Called for every start tag with a second parameter of the element type. The $_ variable will contain a copy of the tag and the %_ variable will contain attribute values supplied for that element. o EndTag Called for every end tag with a second parameter of the element type. The $_ variable will contain a copy of the end tag. o Text Called just before start or end tags with accumulated non-markup text in the $_ variable. o PI Called for processing instructions. The $_ variable will contain a copy of the PI and the target and data are sent as 2nd and 3rd parameters respectively. o EndDocument Called at conclusion of the parse. perl v5.18.2 2011-05-24 Parser::Style::Stream(3)