Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Root Folder Space Maintenance (SCO) Post 302119500 by jgt on Wednesday 30th of May 2007 07:25:11 AM
Old 05-30-2007
Truncate the following files:
/usr/adm/messages
/usr/adm/syslog
/usr/spool/lp/logs/requests
/usr/spool/mail/root
/usr/spool/mail/cron

Do this by:
cat >file <cr>
<ctrl-d><cr>

remove all of the following:
core

Run the following from /
du -a |sort -r -n >/u/file.list

The output of this is a list of the files and directories on the entire system sorted in descending order by size. Using this you should be able to find files that you didn't know existed (inadvertently saved in the wrong directory), and which files are growing (have a recent file date).

Last edited by jgt; 05-30-2007 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: add instructions to truncate

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

space in perticular folder in unix

can any one tell me how to know the free space in perticular folder in unix. size in bytes/MB. thanks in adv. spandu (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandu
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trick to ignore space in folder name

Hello All, I am getting error while passing a folder name that has space to the cmd line argument. sh log_delete2.sh "/home/kumarpua/TESTARTIFACTS/atf-chix/ATF-subversion-dev/ssenglogs/A RM" log_delete2.sh: line 17: cd: /home/kumarpua/TESTARTIFACTS/atf-chix/ATF-subversion-dev/ssenglogs/A:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulkit
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

space in folder name

hi my folder name is below FTP_DIR="/DATA/TEMP/PA Mthly and Qrty files" But when i am using the varaible in my ftp shel script i am getting the error '/DATA/TEMP/VA: The system cannot find the path specified please advice. thanks in advance sam (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating space in root folder

Hi , I was wondering if anyone knows any great ways for creating space in your Root Folder. My root folder was created with only 247.7MB & I found out that its now full & I was initially wondering how important the "thumbnails Folder" was & if it was alright to delete their contenses as I noticed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the folder with space in name.

A solaris server with SAMBA share folder. The PC users created many folders with space on it, I want to find them out, but not list its subfolders. For example, I have below folders Copy of ABC/efg/xy sa/Test again/xyt If I use command: find . -type d |grep " " I will list 6 folders, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdcwayx
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Protecting a folder/directory against root access.

A friend and I run a vbulletin forum which recently got hacked. We believe what wound up happening was the attacker gained access to the VPS box and from there elevated their user accounts to admin status on our forums. Obviously if someone gets into our box in the future it'll be a disaster so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fannypack
1 Replies

7. SCO

root out of space in sco 5

DEAR Team, I need some help in sco open server 5 while booting server beloow message giving server HTFS no space dev HD 1/42 Thanks Skb (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir69
4 Replies

8. Solaris

root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)

I have message "root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)" after Solaris 10 boots up. Why it appears ? thx for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Which Folder occupies more space?

Hi, What are the correct parameters to list folders size in MBs under a particular directory in HP-UX ? I know and commands but cannot get the output of folder sizes in MBs. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from Space Folder to other folder

I want to move a folder with spaces from one folder to another. I have two folders like this, 1).RT_032-222 -4444-01/ 2). RT_032-555 -7777-01/ I want to move files from 2 to 1 through shell script.Here I want to assign this like a user defined variable like as Source branch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
2 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)