Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi) Post 302119486 by novice100 on Wednesday 30th of May 2007 06:33:19 AM
Old 05-30-2007
how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi)

Made changes to a file using vi editor and saved those changes

now realised that the changes are not required

How can I get the previous version of the file.i.e the one which was there on which I had made changes

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I get the last modified date of a file?

I am trying to load a group of files and their last dates modified into a text file that will in turn be used with SQL*Loader to load these files into Oracle. I am using a *.ksh script. I am getting the name of the file in by using the following: for file_ext in 'cat loaddir.ext'; do find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akpopa
2 Replies

2. Programming

File last modified

I cannot read the last moment the file was modified - it returns "Most recent access" instead: code: </td> <th><?FILE *fatr=fopen(iindname.c_str(), "r"); if(fatr){ struct stat statbuf; fstat(fileno(fatr), &statbuf); fclose(fatr); ?> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file modified

Hi, I have a monitoring script that I run, and I would like to automate checking if specific parameter file is modified during the last day or two. How do I do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

who modified my file!!

Hi EVERYONE!!... Just a simple (yet critical from my perspective) doubt... I would like to know who had edited my file.. when I use ls -l command, I see my ID.. but when I edit using some other ID, I had expected that ID to be shown.. but still ls -l shows my ID only.. So, is there any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a filename modified by attaching modified timestamp

Hi, I want to modify a filename in AIX by attaching the last modified timestamp. I want the timestamp completely in numerical format (eg:200905081210. yr-2009, mnth - 05, date -08, hr - 12, mins - 10). For example if the filename is a.log and it was modified on April 6th 2008 at 21.00. I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ruks
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How long since file has been modified

how can I find out if a file has been modified less than 24hrs ago (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file modified more than once

Hi All, How to find a file modified more than once.... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The original AF counter that has yet to be modified.

Hi guys... This was my original attempt at the AF Frequency Counter for the AudioScope.sh project... #!/bin/bash # Set the startup values... data="?" freq=0 number="" subscript=0 waveform=0 # An initial screen... clear printf "\nA simple 50 Hz to 3500 Hz audio frequency... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Who has modified a file - History?

Hello, I'd want to know who and what time has modified a file in unix (history). I'd like to know all people who has modified a file. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nurinolo
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is original file modified when pigz is interrupted?

I had to stop a pigz (parallel gzip) compression before it completed. Is the original uncompressed file changed/corrupted? I was under the impression that the original file is not changed during compression, though it is deleted if the compression is successful. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colin123
1 Replies
File::Inplace(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  File::Inplace(3)

NAME
File::Inplace - Perl module for in-place editing of files SYNOPSIS
use File::Inplace; my $editor = new File::Inplace(file => "file.txt"); while (my ($line) = $editor->next_line) { $editor->replace_line(reverse $line); } $editor->commit; DESCRIPTION
File::Inplace is a perl module intended to ease the common task of editing a file in-place. Inspired by variations of perl's -i option, this module is intended for somewhat more structured and reusable editing than command line perl typically allows. File::Inplace endeavors to guarantee file integrity; that is, either all of the changes made will be saved to the file, or none will. It also offers functionality such as backup creation, automatic field splitting per-line, automatic chomping/unchomping, and aborting edits partially through without affecting the original file. CONSTRUCTOR
File::Inplace offers one constructor that accepts a number of parameters, one of which is required. File::Inplace->new(file => "filename", ...) file The one required parameter. This is the name of the file to edit. suffix The suffix for backup files. If not specified, no backups are made. chomp If set to zero, then automatic chomping will not be performed. Newlines (actually, the contents of $/) will remain in strings returned from "next_line". Additionally, the contents of $/ will not be appended when replacing lines. regex If specified, then each line will be split by this parameter when using "next_line_split" method. If unspecified, then this defaults to s+. separator The default character used to join each line when replace_line is invoked with a list instead of a single value. Defaults to a single space. INSTANCE METHODS
$editor->next_line () In scalar context, it returns the next line of the input file, or undef if there is no line. In an array context, it returns a single value of the line, or an empty list if there is no line. $editor->replace_line (value) Replaces the current line in the output file with the specified value. If passed a list, then each valie is joined by the "separator" specified at construction time. $editor->next_line_split () Line "next_line", except splits based on the "regex" specified in the constructor. $editor->has_lines () Returns true if the file contains any further lines. $editor->all_lines () Returns an array of all lines in the file being edited. $editor->replace_all_lines (@lines) Replaces all remaining lines in the file with the specified @lines. $editor->commit () Completes the edit operation and saves the changes to the edited file. $editor->rollback () Aborts the edit process. $editor->commit_to_backup () Saves edits to the backup file instead of the original file. AUTHOR
Chip Turner, <chipt@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005 by Chip Turner This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.6.0 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 283: You forgot a '=back' before '=head1' Around line 285: '=item' outside of any '=over' perl v5.16.3 2005-01-29 File::Inplace(3)