Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Strange Real Memory usage behavior Post 302119353 by Skyybugg on Tuesday 29th of May 2007 11:24:07 AM
Old 05-29-2007
Bug Strange Real Memory usage behavior

We have 2 Rs6000 S-85
Each initially had/have 6 processors and 8 GIG of RAM each
Node 1 we added 14 processors and 32 GIG of RAM On May 19. (11 days ago)
My memory utilization reporting for node 1 showed a spike in available memory 25-30GB for May 19 to 25 . I kind of expected this because I did not think the app would try to take any more memory. Then suddenly since the 26th, available Real memory took a sudden drop down to 2 GB!

Virtual memory up until the 26th was hovering around 80% since then and now it is at 99%.

Application on the node is is Health care System called Cerner. It also Runs MQ Series Middleware.

It is almost like the system realized it had the memory to use Saturday morning and has since then decided to use it!

I have not yet added paging space for this memory, if it is needed. I need to look into that. I believe there is an economy of scale or breaking point for paging. Currently paging space is at 8192MB currently.

The memory and CPU we added were a total surprise. Our vender may not have known what they sent us. We thought we were getting 4 more CPU and anothe 8 GIG of RAM. Instead we got 14 CPU and 32GIG of RAM! Christmas in May!

We are going to give node 2 the same treatment for memory and CPU (which strictly runs a 300 GB Oracle database)

I am just not sure what to make of node 1 behaviour.
Any comments are appreciated. SkyyBugg

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

2. AIX

Real memory usage is reaching 99.99%

Hi i am new to aix , we are using aix 5.3 version and model is 510 and 520 model servers. in our servers contains 8 gb ram. but servers average ram usage is reaching 99.9% , can any body help on this , is any impact if memory usage reach 99.9%. Regards Balaji Poola (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balajipoola007
2 Replies

3. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

4. Programming

Strange behavior in C++

I have the following program: int main(int argc, char** argv){ unsigned long int mean=0; for(int i=1;i<10;i++){ mean+=poisson(12); cout<<mean<<endl; } cout<<"Sum of poisson: "<< mean; return 0; } when I run it, I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Ubuntu strange behavior

It is so till login screen. I mean that when I boot my computer, Ubuntu shows a splash screen with mouse instead of Ubuntu logo and in the login screen it shows XUbuntu login screen... It began when I upgraded to previous kernel, I suppose, but I'm not sure... I can't say that it annoys me very... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
6 Replies

6. AIX

Strange memory behavior

Hello together, i have a strange memory behavior on a AIX 7.1 System, which i cannot explain. The Filesystem-Cache will not be grow up and drops often after few minutes. I know if a file was deleted, that the same segment in the FS-Cache will also be cleared. But i am not sure if this is the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: -=XrAy=-
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior on one of my server

I am not sure what is wrong, but I have some strange behavior when printing things out. I do create a file with only one word test, no space, no new line etc. nano file<enter> test<ctrl x>y<enter> Server 1 gets (fail) awk '{print "+"$0"*"}' file *test Server 2 gets (OK) awk '{print... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

8. AIX

Strange behavior with tar

I am trying to create an archive using tar. I am specifying a list of directories using the -L option. For testing purposes I created a simple directory structure: /backup/test /backup/test/test1 /backup/test/test2 The file specified by the -L option, named files.txt, contains:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: judykstra
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior of grep

Hi All, I am facing a strange problem while grepping for a process. Here is the small script that i have written. It will look for any process running with the parameter passed to the script. If no process is running it should print appropriate message. $ cat t.ksh #!/bin/ksh set -x ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Ctrl+C behavior

Hello All, I have a strange issue. I've created a shell script which connects to RMAN (Oracle Recovery Manager) and executes full DB backup. I then executed this script with nohup and in the background: $ nohup my_script.sh > logfile.log 2>&1 &The issue is that when I tried to take a look into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
6 Replies
Object sets (hwloc_cpuset_t and hwloc_nodeset_t)(3)	     Hardware Locality (hwloc)	       Object sets (hwloc_cpuset_t and hwloc_nodeset_t)(3)

NAME
Object sets (hwloc_cpuset_t and hwloc_nodeset_t) - Typedefs typedef hwloc_bitmap_t hwloc_cpuset_t typedef hwloc_const_bitmap_t hwloc_const_cpuset_t typedef hwloc_bitmap_t hwloc_nodeset_t typedef hwloc_const_bitmap_t hwloc_const_nodeset_t Detailed Description Hwloc uses bitmaps to represent two distinct kinds of object sets: CPU sets (hwloc_cpuset_t) and NUMA node sets (hwloc_nodeset_t). These types are both typedefs to a common back end type (hwloc_bitmap_t), and therefore all the hwloc bitmap functions are applicable to both hwloc_cpuset_t and hwloc_nodeset_t (see The bitmap API). The rationale for having two different types is that even though the actions one wants to perform on these types are the same (e.g., enable and disable individual items in the set/mask), they're used in very different contexts: one for specifying which processors to use and one for specifying which NUMA nodes to use. Hence, the name difference is really just to reflect the intent of where the type is used. Typedef Documentation typedef hwloc_const_bitmap_t hwloc_const_cpuset_t A non-modifiable hwloc_cpuset_t. typedef hwloc_const_bitmap_t hwloc_const_nodeset_t A non-modifiable hwloc_nodeset_t. typedef hwloc_bitmap_t hwloc_cpuset_t A CPU set is a bitmap whose bits are set according to CPU physical OS indexes. It may be consulted and modified with the bitmap API as any hwloc_bitmap_t (see hwloc/bitmap.h). typedef hwloc_bitmap_t hwloc_nodeset_t A node set is a bitmap whose bits are set according to NUMA memory node physical OS indexes. It may be consulted and modified with the bitmap API as any hwloc_bitmap_t (see hwloc/bitmap.h). When binding memory on a system without any NUMA node (when the whole memory is considered as a single memory bank), the nodeset may be either empty (no memory selected) or full (whole system memory selected). See also Conversion between cpuset and nodeset. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for Hardware Locality (hwloc) from the source code. Version 1.7 Sun Apr 7 2013 Object sets (hwloc_cpuset_t and hwloc_nodeset_t)(3)