Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying Text between two unique text patterns Post 302119187 by drl on Monday 28th of May 2007 03:15:15 PM
Old 05-28-2007
Hi.

For the sample data file "data1":
Code:
Document * of 20
Hello

=====
Document one of 20

World

=====
Document 44 of 20

Now is

=====
Document "Climatology Review" in of 20

with no Documents at the beginning of the time.

=====

I ran this script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate csplit.

F=${1-data1}

csplit -k -s -z $F "/^Document.*of/" {\*}

echo
for file in xx*
do
        echo
        echo "File: $file"
        head -3 $file |
        cat -n
done

exit 0

To produce this:
Code:
% ./s1

File: xx00
     1  Document * of 20
     2  Hello

File: xx01
     1  Document one of 20
     3  World

File: xx02
     1  Document 44 of 20
     3  Now is

File: xx03
     1  Document "Climatology Review" in of 20
     3  with no Documents at the beginning of the time.

This assumes that the lines "=====" are visual sugar ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting unique lines from text file

I have a file with 14million lines and I would like to extract all the unique lines from the file into another text file. For example: Contents of file1 happy sad smile happy funny sad I want to run a command against file one that only returns the unique lines (ie 1 line for happy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Text Between Two Unique Lines

Hi all! Im trying to extract a portion of text from a file and put it into a new file. I need all the lines between <Placement> and </Placement> including the Placemark lines themselves. Is there a way to extract all instances of these and not just the first one found? I've tried using sed and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting several lines of text after a unique string

I'm attempting to write a script to identify users who have sudo access on a server. I only want to extract the ID's of the sudo users after a unique line of text. The list of sudo users goes to the EOF so I only need the script to start after the unique line of text. I already have a script to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bouncer
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vi copying text

Is there a trick for copying from something like a powerpoint into vi? Every time I try to copy text from something like a powerpoint to vi my spacing gets messed up. I think it has something to do with my .vimrc file. When I renamed it was able to copy it in just fine so can someone please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying text from Windows to AIX - missing text?

Hi All, I'm hoping this is an easy question, but I'm having a weird problem trying to simply copy and paste text from MS Windows (XP) Notepad and then pasting into vi or vim in AIX. When I type "oslevel" I get "5.3.0.0". The problem is that once the text is pasted, there are sections of text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlainInverted
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text between two patterns

I would like to replace ], with ]]], between /* SECTION2-BEGIN */ and /* SECTION2-END */ in my file. My file contains the following information: /* SECTION1-BEGIN */ , /* SECTION1-END */ /* SECTION2-BEGIN */ , /* SECTION2-END */ /*... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: azdps
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract text repetitively between two patterns

Hi All, I want to extract the text between some pattern which occurs repeatedly in a file. For example my input is like, /home/..... ..........java:25: cannot find symbol ............ /home/...... /home/....... I want to display... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vignesh58
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find patterns and filter the text

I need to filter the text in between two patterns and output that to a different file. Please help me how to do it. Ex: ............. <some random text> ............. Pattern_1 <Few lines that need to be output to different file> Pattern_2 ................ ............... <more text in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metturr
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command for non-unique text

awk -F "" '/<TestName>|<testname>|<Offerer>|<offerer>|<Line1>|<line1>|<City>|<city>|<State>|<state>/ {print $2, $3}' OFS='\t' UBE3A.xml > UBE3A.txt Is it possible to use the code above to search for a pattern that is non-unique? For example, if I wanted to capture the<MethodList>|<string>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print unique text in field

I am trying to use awk to print the unique entries in $2 So in the example below there are 3 lines but 2 of the lines match in $2 so only one is used in the output. File.txt chr17:29667512-29667673 NF1:exon.1;NF1:exon.2;NF1:exon.38;NF1:exon.4;NF1:exon.46;NF1:exon.47 703.807... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
PPI::Document::File(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    PPI::Document::File(3)

NAME
PPI::Document::File - A Perl Document located in a specific file DESCRIPTION
WARNING: This class is experimental, and may change without notice PPI::Document::File provides a PPI::Document subclass that represents a Perl document stored in a specific named file. METHODS
new my $file = PPI::Document::File->new( 'Module.pm' ); The "new" constructor works the same as for the regular one, except that the only params allowed is a file name. You cannot create an "anonymous" PPI::Document::File object, not can you create an empty one. Returns a new PPI::Document::File object, or "undef" on error. filename The "filename" accessor returns the name of the file in which the document is stored. save # Save to the file we were loaded from $file->save; # Save a copy to somewhere else $file->save( 'Module2.pm' ); The "save" method works similarly to the one in the parent PPI::Document class, saving a copy of the document to a file. The difference with this subclass is that if "save" is not passed any filename, it will save it back to the file it was loaded from. Note: When saving to a different file, it is considered to be saving a copy and so the value returned by the "filename" accessor will stay the same, and not change to the new filename. TO DO
- May need to overload some methods to forcefully prevent Document objects becoming children of another Node. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2011-02-25 PPI::Document::File(3)