Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying Text between two unique text patterns Post 302119182 by spindoctor on Monday 28th of May 2007 02:17:53 PM
Old 05-28-2007
Copying Text between two unique text patterns

Dear Colleagues:
I have .rtf files of a collection of newspaper articles. Each newspaper article starts with a variation of the phrase "Document * of 20" and is separated from the next article with the character string "==================="

I would like to be able to take the text composing each news article from between these two patterns and dump them into separate, uniquely named files. I've been playing around with SED, grep, cut and csplit, but nothing seems to be working. I have the regular expressions developed to capture the two lines "Document * of 20" and "--------" independently, but I can't figure out how to capture and play with the text between the two lines. I hope you can help.
Yours,
Simon J. Kiss
Queen's University

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting unique lines from text file

I have a file with 14million lines and I would like to extract all the unique lines from the file into another text file. For example: Contents of file1 happy sad smile happy funny sad I want to run a command against file one that only returns the unique lines (ie 1 line for happy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Text Between Two Unique Lines

Hi all! Im trying to extract a portion of text from a file and put it into a new file. I need all the lines between <Placement> and </Placement> including the Placemark lines themselves. Is there a way to extract all instances of these and not just the first one found? I've tried using sed and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting several lines of text after a unique string

I'm attempting to write a script to identify users who have sudo access on a server. I only want to extract the ID's of the sudo users after a unique line of text. The list of sudo users goes to the EOF so I only need the script to start after the unique line of text. I already have a script to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bouncer
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vi copying text

Is there a trick for copying from something like a powerpoint into vi? Every time I try to copy text from something like a powerpoint to vi my spacing gets messed up. I think it has something to do with my .vimrc file. When I renamed it was able to copy it in just fine so can someone please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying text from Windows to AIX - missing text?

Hi All, I'm hoping this is an easy question, but I'm having a weird problem trying to simply copy and paste text from MS Windows (XP) Notepad and then pasting into vi or vim in AIX. When I type "oslevel" I get "5.3.0.0". The problem is that once the text is pasted, there are sections of text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlainInverted
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text between two patterns

I would like to replace ], with ]]], between /* SECTION2-BEGIN */ and /* SECTION2-END */ in my file. My file contains the following information: /* SECTION1-BEGIN */ , /* SECTION1-END */ /* SECTION2-BEGIN */ , /* SECTION2-END */ /*... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: azdps
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract text repetitively between two patterns

Hi All, I want to extract the text between some pattern which occurs repeatedly in a file. For example my input is like, /home/..... ..........java:25: cannot find symbol ............ /home/...... /home/....... I want to display... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vignesh58
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find patterns and filter the text

I need to filter the text in between two patterns and output that to a different file. Please help me how to do it. Ex: ............. <some random text> ............. Pattern_1 <Few lines that need to be output to different file> Pattern_2 ................ ............... <more text in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metturr
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command for non-unique text

awk -F "" '/<TestName>|<testname>|<Offerer>|<offerer>|<Line1>|<line1>|<City>|<city>|<State>|<state>/ {print $2, $3}' OFS='\t' UBE3A.xml > UBE3A.txt Is it possible to use the code above to search for a pattern that is non-unique? For example, if I wanted to capture the<MethodList>|<string>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print unique text in field

I am trying to use awk to print the unique entries in $2 So in the example below there are 3 lines but 2 of the lines match in $2 so only one is used in the output. File.txt chr17:29667512-29667673 NF1:exon.1;NF1:exon.2;NF1:exon.38;NF1:exon.4;NF1:exon.46;NF1:exon.47 703.807... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
NNPOST(1)						      General Commands Manual							 NNPOST(1)

NAME
nnpost - post news articles (nn) SYNOPSIS
nnpost [ -dksy string ] [ -f file ] [ -p ] [ group... ] DESCRIPTION
nnpost is used to post new articles using nn's normal interface, but without entering nn in reading mode. When started, it reads the init file and then directly executes nn's :post command. It will prompt for a (comma-separated) list of news groups, the article subject, a list of keywords, a summary, and the distribution of the article. Each of these prompts can also be supplied via command line options or arguments as described below. When prompted for the "Newsgroup:", entering a ? as the first key will cause nnpost to list all the known news groups and their purpose (if this information is available). You can also enter / followed by a word or regular expression which will cause nnpost to produce a (much) shorter listing only containing the groups whose name and/or purpose description matches the regular expression. When paging through either list, you can enter q to quit the listing. If a source file is specified with -f it will be used as the initial article body. If the -p option is also specified, the article is posted directly without editing. nnpost can be used to do unattended postings if sufficient arguments are provided on the command line to build the header and the body of the article. The required arguments are: one or more newsgroups, a subject (-s), a source file (-f), a distribution (-d), and the -p option. Other fields which are not specified (e.g. keywords) will not be included in the header. The contents of the news-header variable in the init file will be included in the header. OPTIONS
-d distribution Use the specified distribution for the article. -k "keywords" Associate the specified keywords with the article. -s "subject" Use the specified subject for the new article. -y "summary" Include the given summary in the article header. -f file Read the article body from the specified file. -p Post the article specified with -f without editing. FILES
~/.nn/init The control variables for nnpost. SEE ALSO
nn(1) AUTHOR
Kim F. Storm, Texas Instruments A/S, Denmark E-mail: storm@texas.dk 4th Berkeley Distribution Release 6.6 NNPOST(1)