Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic signal and alarm usage
Top Forums Programming Basic signal and alarm usage Post 302119131 by matrixmadhan on Monday 28th of May 2007 06:33:13 AM
Old 05-28-2007
Where is the curses mode initialized,

Code:
initscr();

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alarm signal

Hi, when I execute a script on unix AIX, I've got an error message: "Execution: 85328 Signal d'alarme". If I edit this file with "vi", I ve got the same error after a while (about 1 minute). If I try with another user I still have the problem. But if I rename this file, no problem. My... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgsteph
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl alarm signal

I am trying to write a signal to exit when a process times out. What I have come up with from poking around the web is this. #!/usr/bin/perl eval { local $SIG{ALRM} = sub { die "alarm clock restart" }; alarm 10; open(DSMADMC, "dsmadmc -se=tsmpc1 -id=XXXXX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
2 Replies

3. AIX

basic question about disk usage

how to i find out the disk usage on a server. say in windows examples its like C:/ D:/ and checking out the disk space. how can i find in Unix. can i just use df -k (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash 'for loop' usage

Hi! I have a simple question about using a for loop. I'm trying to open up all the zip files in the currect directory with ark, but I am getting the error "bash: syntax error near unexpected token `for $i ; do ark $i ; done ; I looked in the info pages for bash, but I can't seem to figure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orange Stripes
2 Replies

5. Programming

Usage of exit() inside a signal handler

Is it ok to use exit() inside a signal handler? I catch SIGUSR1 in a signal handler and I try to close a file and then exit. The result is inconsistent. Sometimes the process exit and sometimes it returns to the original state before the signal handler was invoked. Perhaps exit is not legal in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuvia
8 Replies

6. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

7. Solaris

False Memory usage alarm!!

Hi Experts, I am using Solaris-10, Sun-Fire-V445. i got often the below message- "Memory Usage – Critical, Memory usage (RAM) exceeding 90% The memory utilization is exceeding 90%" in a application running on solaris. I checked with Vmstat. Everything seems to be fine. Where i should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
5 Replies

8. Programming

alarm signal processing

I'm writing a function right now, and I want to set an alarm to avoid a timeout, here's the general idea of my code: int amt = -2; alarm(10); amt = read(fd, &t->buf, TASKBUFSIZ - tailpos); //do a read when the alarm goes off, i want to check the value of "amt" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liaobert
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic computer usage report

Our small company, about 5 users, need a basic script that scans mapped network drives (example: drive b,c,d, e, and f) for hard drive usage. This needs to send a report to myself in any type of basic notepad format (easy to read and decipher) for drives that have reached 80% usage... any ideas? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessessays
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic sed usage in shell script

Hi, A basic sed question. I have a set of files. In each file there is a number that I want replaced. For example, if I run sed I should get the following: % cat test2.txt #goofy//171.00 goofy 171.00 % sed -i 's/171/xxx/g' test2.txt % cat test2.txt #goofy//xxx.00 goofy xxx.00 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
2 Replies
initscr(3NCURSES)														 initscr(3NCURSES)

NAME
initscr, newterm, endwin, isendwin, set_term, delscreen - curses screen initialization and manipulation routines SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> WINDOW *initscr(void); int endwin(void); bool isendwin(void); SCREEN *newterm(char *type, FILE *outfd, FILE *infd); SCREEN *set_term(SCREEN *new); void delscreen(SCREEN* sp); DESCRIPTION
initscr is normally the first curses routine to call when initializing a program. A few special routines sometimes need to be called be- fore it; these are slk_init, filter, ripoffline, use_env. For multiple-terminal applications, newterm may be called before initscr. The initscr code determines the terminal type and initializes all curses data structures. initscr also causes the first call to refresh to clear the screen. If errors occur, initscr writes an appropriate error message to standard error and exits; otherwise, a pointer is re- turned to stdscr. A program that outputs to more than one terminal should use the newterm routine for each terminal instead of initscr. A program that needs to inspect capabilities, so it can continue to run in a line-oriented mode if the terminal cannot support a screen-oriented program, would also use newterm. The routine newterm should be called once for each terminal. It returns a variable of type SCREEN * which should be saved as a reference to that terminal. The arguments are the type of the terminal to be used in place of $TERM, a file pointer for output to the terminal, and another file pointer for input from the terminal (if type is NULL, $TERM will be used). The program must also call endwin for each terminal being used before exiting from curses. If newterm is called more than once for the same terminal, the first ter- minal referred to must be the last one for which endwin is called. A program should always call endwin before exiting or escaping from curses mode temporarily. This routine restores tty modes, moves the cursor to the lower left-hand corner of the screen and resets the terminal into the proper non-visual mode. Calling refresh or doupdate after a temporary escape causes the program to resume visual mode. The isendwin routine returns TRUE if endwin has been called without any subsequent calls to wrefresh, and FALSE otherwise. The set_term routine is used to switch between different terminals. The screen reference new becomes the new current terminal. The previ- ous terminal is returned by the routine. This is the only routine which manipulates SCREEN pointers; all other routines affect only the current terminal. The delscreen routine frees storage associated with the SCREEN data structure. The endwin routine does not do this, so delscreen should be called after endwin if a particular SCREEN is no longer needed. RETURN VALUE
endwin returns the integer ERR upon failure and OK upon successful completion. Routines that return pointers always return NULL on error. X/Open defines no error conditions. In this implementation endwin returns an error if the terminal was not initialized. NOTES
Note that initscr and newterm may be macros. PORTABILITY
These functions are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. It specifies that portable applications must not call initscr more than once. Old versions of curses, e.g., BSD 4.4, may have returned a null pointer from initscr when an error is detected, rather than exiting. It is safe but redundant to check the return value of initscr in XSI Curses. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), kernel(3NCURSES), refresh(3NCURSES), slk(3NCURSES), util(3NCURSES), curses_variables(3NCURSES). initscr(3NCURSES)