Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: capture the file name
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting capture the file name Post 302118984 by cfajohnson on Friday 25th of May 2007 08:40:18 PM
Old 05-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandab
I am trying to capture the file name(which is not of fixed length) and put it in a variable. It is working in unix whereas when I am running the same script in Informatica it is not giving me the desired output. But when I comment the option(find the file name) then it is working fine. It can also because I am using awk. Is there any other way(other than using awk) to find the file name? File name will be in second line of the file with 2 other items filesize numeric(10) and record count numeric(8).

Here is my code:
#!/bin/ksh

eval $(awk 'NR==2 {
printf "header_fname=\"%s\"\n", substr($0,1,length-18) ## filename
}' $1)

echo "$header_fname"

Sample file:
id_xyz20070523085554004
abcdefgh.csv000000324100000036

In any BOURNE-type shell (bash, ksh, sh, etc.):

Code:
{
 read line
 IFS=0123456789 read header_fname junk
} < "$FILE"
echo "$header_fname"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capture Value from file

I have a file in the following Format Fundid: 100-BankA AccountNumber Balance 1 200 2 300 3 400 FundId:123321-BankB AccountNumber Balance 1 200 3 100 ........... I can have N number of funds. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kris01752
1 Replies

2. Solaris

capture ping to a file

I would like to capture the output from ping into a file. I am on solaris 9. I can get the basic "server is alive" command in a file, but I want the response from ping -s into a file. I am going to schedule this in cron to run at certain times during the day. When I run the ping -s in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to capture new lines in a file and copy it to new file

Hi All, I have a file that gives me new line/output every 5 minutes. I need to create a script that capture new line/output besides "IN CRON_STATUS", in this case the new output is "begin ------ cron_status.sh - -----------". I want this script to capture the line starting from "begin ------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fara_aris
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture data in a file

How to capture the rows in a file after executing the store procedure using the perl scripts? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay123
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture output of file and send last string thereof to new file

Hello, If I run a program from within shell, the output is displayed in the command line terminal. Is there a way I can capture that output and choose only the very last string in it to send it to a new file? Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lorna
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the last file when you don't know the all name

I have to ftp a file from a directory in Windows, I need to be able to ftp the last file that was put in the directory, the only thing I know about that file is that the 4 first digits are always the same (3520) then it is a _5(more digits), random digits, so it will be something like this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rechever
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture first N Bytes from first line in a file

Hi Guyz, I need to capture first N Bytes from the first line of my file. Eg. If i have following data in File1 414d51204541495052475731202020204a910846230e420c Hello 3621363663212 Help Required Then, i want the value of first 48 Bytes to be stored in a variable. That is, variable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DTechBuddy
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture filenames with a Pattern into another file

Hi i have a command in windows which captures the filenames with the same pattern and route it to another file. for example filetest_20110921, filetest_20110922,filetest_20110923 etc I would like to know the command in UNIX/LINUX for the same. The command which i am using in Windows is ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansurkhalil
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture specific fields in file

Dear Friends, I have a file a.txt 1|3478.12|487|4578.04|4505.5478|rhfj|rehtire|rhj I want to get the field numbers which have decimal values output: Fields: 2,4,5 Plz help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String capture from ip file

Dear All From below mention input file I want op file as mention. Kindly help. IP file: "BSCGNR4_IPA17_C" 329 140119 0717 RXOCF-105 KJO001_BASC_NG AC FAULTY DG ON DOOR OPEN Needed OP: 140119 0717 KJO001_BASC_NG AC FAULTY DG ON DOOR OPEN Note that string mark in red as variable in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)