Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Shared memory in shared library Post 302118964 by DreamWarrior on Friday 25th of May 2007 01:36:05 PM
Old 05-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
1. Understand the process memory map on a particular OS.

2. attach the shared memory as early as possible in the process startup to prevent that memories use by other later activities.

3. if you fork, you will have two processes using the shared memory at the same address, I can't confirm if when you exec() the shared-memory actually gets detached. Would be worth finding out?
It is the 2 part that worries me. Writing a shared library that "insists" that it gets a certain region of memory to attach to seems prone to issue. However, writing it to attach to various different regions seems prone to issue too because all applications must attach to the same region if pointers are to be valid across them.

Humm...maybe it should be configurable...doesn't seem fair, however, to make the user set a value. Grrrrrrrr... Always a trade-off...make it fast, or make it reliable.... The reliable route would be to store all "pointers" as offsets...or page/offset pair. But, that means that the application must always translate my pointer type into the actual pointer.... Slow...tedious, error-prone. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared Library

hello all I want to work in shared libraries how can i work in Linux Environment ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Shared Library Problem

I have this error when I try to do check on the oracle database... Can you help me figure out whats the problem? Thanks for all the help! /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libjox8.sl'. /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libjox8.sl'. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shared library

What is the primary difference between static library and dynamic library? and how to write static shared library? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: areef4u
1 Replies

5. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a Makefile from building static library to shared library?

Hi: I have a library that it only offers Makefile for building static library. It built libxxx.a file. How do I in any way build a shared library? (either changin the Makefile or direct script or command to build shared library) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpthk
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which sections of a shared library should be loaded in the physical memory?

Each shared library may contain sections with allocatable flag as below: ... .hash .gnu.hash .dynsym .dynstr .gnu.version .gnu.version_d .rel.dyn .rel.plt .plt ... My questions is that: among above sections, which of them should be loaded in the physical memory by run-time linker... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dongping84
3 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Linking to a shared library

I'm trying to get Valgrind to work with an openmpi application in OS X. However I want to hardcode the path to a shared library called libmpiwrap-amd64-darwin.so into my application so that it is available at runtime. In Linux this is relatively simple, I would just add the option... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Valgrinder
0 Replies

9. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

10. AIX

Add shared members from library to same library in a different directory

I'm trying to install libiconv to AIX 7.1 from an rpm off of the perzl site. The rpm appears to install but I get this error message. add shr4.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a add shr.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kneemoe
5 Replies
SHMOP(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  SHMOP(2)

NAME
shmop - shared memory operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/shm.h> void *shmat(int shmid, const void *shmaddr, int shmflg); int shmdt(const void *shmaddr); DESCRIPTION
The function shmat attaches the shared memory segment identified by shmid to the address space of the calling process. The attaching address is specified by shmaddr with one of the following criteria: If shmaddr is NULL, the system chooses a suitable (unused) address at which to attach the segment. If shmaddr isn't NULL and SHM_RND is asserted in shmflg, the attach occurs at the address equal to shmaddr rounded down to the nearest mul- tiple of SHMLBA. Otherwise shmaddr must be a page aligned address at which the attach occurs. If SHM_RDONLY is asserted in shmflg, the segment is attached for reading and the process must have read permission for the segment. Other- wise the segment is attached for read and write and the process must have read and write permission for the segment. There is no notion of a write-only shared memory segment. The brk value of the calling process is not altered by the attach. The segment will automatically be detached at process exit. The same segment may be attached as a read and as a read-write one, and more than once, in the process's address space. On a successful shmat call the system updates the members of the shmid_ds structure associated to the shared memory segment as follows: shm_atime is set to the current time. shm_lpid is set to the process-ID of the calling process. shm_nattch is incremented by one. Note that the attach succeeds also if the shared memory segment is marked to be deleted. The function shmdt detaches the shared memory segment located at the address specified by shmaddr from the address space of the calling process. The to-be-detached segment must be currently attached with shmaddr equal to the value returned by the its attaching shmat call. On a successful shmdt call the system updates the members of the shmid_ds structure associated with the shared memory segment as follows: shm_dtime is set to the current time. shm_lpid is set to the process-ID of the calling process. shm_nattch is decremented by one. If it becomes 0 and the segment is marked for deletion, the segment is deleted. The occupied region in the user space of the calling process is unmapped. SYSTEM CALLS
fork() After a fork() the child inherits the attached shared memory segments. exec() After an exec() all attached shared memory segments are detached from the process. exit() Upon exit() all attached shared memory segments are detached from the process. RETURN VALUE
On failure both functions return -1 with errno indicating the error. On success shmat returns the address of the attached shared memory segment, and shmdt returns 0. ERRORS
When shmat fails, errno is set to one of the following: EACCES The calling process has no access permissions for the requested attach type. EINVAL Invalid shmid value, unaligned (i.e., not page-aligned and SHM_RND was not specified) or invalid shmaddr value, or failing attach at brk. ENOMEM Could not allocate memory for the descriptor or for the page tables. The function shmdt can fail only if there is no shared memory segment attached at shmaddr, in such a case at return errno will be set to EINVAL. NOTES
Using shmat with shmaddr equal to NULL is the preferred, portable way of attaching a shared memory segment. Be aware that the shared mem- ory segment attached in this way may be attached at different addresses in different processes. Therefore, any pointers maintained within the shared memory must be made relative (typically to the starting address of the segment), rather than absolute. The following system parameter affects a shmat system call: SHMLBA Segment low boundary address multiple. Must be page aligned. For the current implementation the SHMBLA value is PAGE_SIZE. The implementation has no intrinsic limit to the per-process maximum number of shared memory segments (SHMSEG). CONFORMING TO
SVr4, SVID. SVr4 documents an additional error condition EMFILE. In SVID-v4 the type of the shmaddr argument was changed from char * into const void *, and the returned type of shmat() from char * into void *. (Linux libc4 and libc5 have the char * prototypes; glibc2 has void *.) SEE ALSO
ipc(5), shmctl(2), shmget(2) Linux 2.5 2002-01-05 SHMOP(2)