Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Shared memory in shared library Post 302118849 by DreamWarrior on Thursday 24th of May 2007 01:42:59 PM
Old 05-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
You could have an additional process who's job it is to create and shutdown the shared memory. This process could have some form of IPC to so the other processes can attach and detach, when the last goes, the manager process can clean up and die.

You could have the manage process fork/exec'd by the client libraries when they start so it does not have to prestart, and have setuid bit to run with the appropriate rights other than the first user to start up.

If the clients connect to the manager process with a UNIX domain socket then the manager could use poll() on all connections to monitor that the processes are alive, if they exit uncleanly the socket connection will still die.
I was considering this approach, and it may work...but I thought to myself, why bother use shared memory if I'm going to have a socket connection. In which case, I may as well just relay the entire request to the manager process and let him decision it and not make the memory shared.

Hummm....

Another shared memory question:

Storing pointers in shared memory (of course to other areas of shared memory), can this be done? I think the answer lies in how you attach the shared memory to the process, no? Looking at the shmat call, the second parameter specifies the memory address. I assume this is the "base address" given to the process for the shared memory segment. I would guess that pointers will only be valid throughout all applications accessing the shared memory iff all applications specify this parameter similarly when attaching the segment. Is this correct?

If the above is correct, then I would guess that I may compete with other applications for the address I want to attach to (being a library and all) and that I may not easily be able to guarantee that I can get the address I want. To prevent this, it seems the OS allows one to pass NULL to this parameter and the OS will chose an available address to map to. In which case, I could not really store pointers in shared memory, rather I must store offsets and let the application compute the actual pointer value by adding its individual "base address." This is obviously performance draining....

So...how is that "obstacle" usally overcome?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared Library

hello all I want to work in shared libraries how can i work in Linux Environment ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Shared Library Problem

I have this error when I try to do check on the oracle database... Can you help me figure out whats the problem? Thanks for all the help! /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libjox8.sl'. /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libjox8.sl'. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shared library

What is the primary difference between static library and dynamic library? and how to write static shared library? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: areef4u
1 Replies

5. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a Makefile from building static library to shared library?

Hi: I have a library that it only offers Makefile for building static library. It built libxxx.a file. How do I in any way build a shared library? (either changin the Makefile or direct script or command to build shared library) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpthk
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which sections of a shared library should be loaded in the physical memory?

Each shared library may contain sections with allocatable flag as below: ... .hash .gnu.hash .dynsym .dynstr .gnu.version .gnu.version_d .rel.dyn .rel.plt .plt ... My questions is that: among above sections, which of them should be loaded in the physical memory by run-time linker... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dongping84
3 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Linking to a shared library

I'm trying to get Valgrind to work with an openmpi application in OS X. However I want to hardcode the path to a shared library called libmpiwrap-amd64-darwin.so into my application so that it is available at runtime. In Linux this is relatively simple, I would just add the option... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Valgrinder
0 Replies

9. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

10. AIX

Add shared members from library to same library in a different directory

I'm trying to install libiconv to AIX 7.1 from an rpm off of the perzl site. The rpm appears to install but I get this error message. add shr4.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a add shr.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kneemoe
5 Replies
SHMAT(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  SHMAT(2)

NAME
shmat, shmdt -- map/unmap shared memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/shm.h> void * shmat(int shmid, const void *shmaddr, int shmflg); int shmdt(const void *shmaddr); DESCRIPTION
shmat() maps the shared memory segment associated with the shared memory identifier shmid into the address space of the calling process. The address at which the segment is mapped is determined by the shmaddr parameter. If it is equal to 0, the system will pick an address itself. Otherwise, an attempt is made to map the shared memory segment at the address shmaddr specifies. If SHM_RND is set in shmflg, the system will round the address down to a multiple of SHMLBA bytes (SHMLBA is defined in <sys/shm.h> ). A shared memory segment can be mapped read-only by specifying the SHM_RDONLY flag in shmflg. shmdt() unmaps the shared memory segment that is currently mapped at shmaddr from the calling process' address space. shmaddr must be a value returned by a prior shmat() call. A shared memory segment will remain existant until it is removed by a call to shmctl(2) with the IPC_RMID command. RETURN VALUES
shmat() returns the address at which the shared memory segment has been mapped into the calling process' address space when successful, shmdt() returns 0 on successful completion. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The shmat() system call will fail if: [EACCES] The calling process has no permission to access this shared memory segment. [EINVAL] shmid is not a valid shared memory identifier. shmaddr specifies an illegal address. [EMFILE] The number of shared memory segments has reached the system-wide limit. [ENOMEM] There is not enough available data space for the calling process to map the shared memory segment. The shmdt() system call will fail if: [EINVAL] shmaddr is not the start address of a mapped shared memory segment. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/shm.h> The include files <sys/types.h> and <sys/ipc.h> are necessary for both functions. SEE ALSO
mmap(2), shmctl(2), shmget(2), compat(5) BSD
August 17, 1995 BSD