Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting locating a string pattern in a tree Post 302118780 by anbu23 on Thursday 24th of May 2007 07:40:24 AM
Old 05-24-2007
Code:
find . -type f -exec grep "<pattern>" {} \;

Code:
find . -type f | xargs grep "<pattern>"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating C source code

Hi, I'm trying to locate where on the filesystem I can find the source code for C standard libraries. The reason why is I'd like to look at the implementation of "'atoi"'. I've tried a brutal search of "grep -r "atoi" *" from root as root but the search took too long. I'm running redhat 7.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chadwick0
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically locating a file

Hi, I have a requriement where in I need to install a s/w by executing the installable file through a script. The script currently contains the path of the installable file. I need to now update the script accordingly such tht it identifies the location of the installable file automatically and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoursdavinder
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a string within a string using a pattern

hi all, i have a file name using the following pattern: PREFIX: AR SOURCE: LEGACY DATETIME: YYYYMMDD_HH24MISS SUFFIX: .txt sample filename: AR_LEGACY_20101104_105500.txt i want to extract the source which is LEGACY in this case. how do i do this using shell? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating a hidden file

it seems one of my server's account was compromised. I caught a perl script running a hack/attack script: 20:23 /usr/bin/perl ./up **.**.**.** 0 120 I've disabled the user etc, but I cannot find the script "up" anywhere in the server. I tried using locate or find. any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaRiOsGR
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern

I am trying to search a file for a patterns ERR- in a file and return a count for each of the error reported Input file is a free flowing file without any format example of output ERR-00001=5 .... ERR-01010=10 ..... ERR-99999=10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Locating files!

My question is : -How do I locate files of specific user in specific folder. In other words, How do I find files that belong only to "root" user, in /etc folder? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexex666
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP - Regex for matching string containing pattern but without pattern itself

The sample file: dept1: user1,user2,user3 dept2: user4,user5,user6 dept3: user7,user8,user9 I want to match by '/^dept2.*/' but don't want to have substring 'dept2:' in output. How to compose such regex? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Locating all the scripts which start with:#!

Hi, I need to find all the executable shell scripts under /home dirctory and its sub directories. I would like to print the path to the files , which include in the header of the file: #! (Actually its the first line of the file). I have tried : find . -name "*" -type f -exec sh -c ' ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoav
14 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)