Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format Post 302118777 by jgt on Thursday 24th of May 2007 07:35:08 AM
Old 05-24-2007
You first have to create the conversion table that contains the from:to data.
As with most unix man pages, there's an explanation, but not an example.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert mmddyy date format to ccyyddd format??

hi, for reading a cobol indexed file i need to convert "mmddyy" date format to "ccyyddd" format. i checked the datecalc and other scripts but couldnt modify them to cater to my need:(... The datecalc gives an output which i believe is the total days till that date, but i want to convert it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhups
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:) Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on this.........Let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like öƒ.ƒ.„İİ¡Š·œƒ.„İİ¡Š· ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch time format to normal date time format in the same file

I have a file named "suspected" with series of line like these : {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent KRPC', 'server': '219.78.120.166', 'client_port': 52044, 'client': '10.64.68.44', 'server_port': 8291, 'time': 1226506312L, 'serverhostname': ''} {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date format to mysql date format in log file

I have a comma delimited log file which has the date as MM/DD/YY in the 2nd column, and HH:MM:SS in the 3rd column. I need to change the date format to YYYY-MM-DD and merge it with the the time HH:MM:SS. How will I got about this? Sample input 02/27/09,23:52:31 02/27/09,23:52:52... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Unicode file to UTF8 format

Hi, I have a file in my desktop which is a unicode format. After this file is transferred to Unix using FTP, we are seeing some special character (like rectangle box type) at the first line. The same file is saved as UTF8 (using textpad tool, selecting encode to UTF-8 option) on my desktopand... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vfrg
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UNIX file format to PC format

Hi All, Is there any way to convert a file which is in UNIX format to a PC format.... Flip command can be used , apart form this command can we have any other way.... like usinf "awk" etc ..... main purpose of not using flip is that my Kshell doesnot support this comamnd.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Samtel
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UNIX file format to PC format

Hi All, Is there any way to convert a file which is in UNIX format to a PC format.... Flip command can be used , apart form this command can we have any other way.... like usinf "awk" etc ..... main purpose of not using flip is that my Kshell doesnot support this comamnd.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samtel
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert all files in current folder from UTF8 to ANSI, name unchanged.

Asking for a Linux command line to convert all files in current folder from UTF8 to ANSI, name unchanged. Best Regards Pei (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl module to convert xlsx format to xls format

Hi Folks, I have written a perl script that reads data from excel sheet(.xls) using Spreadsheet::ParseExcel module. But the problem is this module doesn't work for excel sheets with extension .xlsx. I have gone through Spreadsheet::XLSX module with which we can read from .xlsx file directly.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies
iconv(1)						      General Commands Manual							  iconv(1)

Name
       iconv - international codeset conversion

Syntax
       iconv [-d] -f fromcodeset -t tocodeset [file...]

Description
       The  command  converts the encoding of characters in its input from one codeset to another codeset.  The fromcodeset argument specifies the
       codeset used to encode the data in the input; that is, it specifies the input codeset.  The tocodeset argument  specifies  the  codeset	to
       which  you  want  the input data converted; that is, it specifies the output codeset.  The command performs the conversion by reading rules
       from a conversion table you create.  The command reads its input from standard input or from one or more files named on the  command  line.
       The command writes its output to standard output.

You define conversion rules in a conversion table. The conversion rules specify how converts a particular character or group of characters,
       which are called tokens.  The conversion table is a text file that contains two lists.  In the left-hand list, you specify each	token  you
       want  to convert.  In the right-hand list, you specify the token you want to create in the output file. For example, if you issued the fol-
       lowing command:
       % iconv -fupper -tlower conversion_file

This command uses the conversion table located in the file that specifies how to convert from an uppercase codeset to a lowercase  codeset.
       The following shows part of the conversion table:
       #
       # Converts from uppercase to lowercase
       #
       #    Input token 	Output token
       #    -------------	------------------
		 A		     a
		 B		     b
		 C		     c
		 D		     d
		 E		     e
		 F		     f
		 G		     g
		 Z		     z
       #
       # Convert tabs to spaces using octal
       #
		11		  404040
       #
       # Convert the A umlaut to lowercase
       #
		    A			    a

Each  line  in the conversion table must contain two strings, an input token and an output token.  The tokens must be delimited with spaces
       or tabs.  The backslash character (  ) either causes the command to recognize a character it normally ignores or introduces a three  digit
       octal  constant.   All octal constants in the conversion table must contain three digits.  Lines that begin with a hash symbol (#) are com-
       ments.  The command ignores comment lines and blank lines.

You name the conversion table file using the name of the input codeset, an underscore, and the name of the output codeset.  For example, if
       your input codeset is ISO646 and your output codeset is ISO8859, you might name the conversion table file

The  command  searches  for  the conversion table file in the directory specified by the pathname.  If the ${ICONV} environment variable is
       undefined, the command searches the directory.

The operation of the command is 8-bit transparent.

Options
       -d Deletes any characters that are omitted from the conversion table.  By default, the command sends characters that  are  omitted  to  the
	  output file without modifying them.

-f Specifies the name of the input codeset.

-t Specifies the name of the output codeset.

Restrictions
       The  conversion	table file name can contain no more than 255 characters.  You may need to truncate the name of the input codeset or output
       codeset when you name the conversion table file.

Examples
       The following shows an example of using the command:

This command converts the data in from ISO646 encoding to ISO8859 encoding.  The command reads the conversion table from the file.  If  the
       ${ICONV} environment variable is undefined, the command uses the file. If that file does not exist, the command issues an error message and
       does not convert the data file.	The command writes the results	of any conversion it performs to the file

Files
See Also
       environ(5int)
       Guide to Developing International Software

iconv(1)