Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming terminal device control through a C/C++ program Post 302118646 by Perderabo on Wednesday 23rd of May 2007 10:17:39 AM
Old 05-23-2007
A fair amount of work is required to configure a serial port for use. Much more work would be required to set up a psuedo terminal and that work needs to be done on the other end of the connection. The fact that you seem to be getting output would suggest that you are attempting to use a serial port that is already in use. You can output on serial device already in use... programs like wall do that. But you probably have a shell already trying to read from the terminal. Your whole design seems completely backwards. Deamons cannot suddenly decide that they want to acquire a user. A user needs to decide to converse with a daemon. To do this, a user would run an interactive program that would use IPC to communicate with the daemon.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Terminal Control Database Entry

Hi, can someone pls help resolves this problem. I have an Openserver 5.0.4 running but had this error after having a power failure problem. error: cannot access termainl control database entry I have a arnetport also install with wyse 60 terminals, non of the users can have access on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal control from rsh

I call "rsh -l username HOSTMANE myscript.sh" from the script on TRU64 OSF1 cluster. The myscript.sh does some logic one the different cluster node and output requested info on my terminal. If I try to use commands to control output (clear, tput etc..) it just does not work. Obviously the rsh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Control process from different terminal (over SSH)

I pressed CTRL Z and suspended the job. then I pressed bg, The process re-started to throw output on the terminal and its not allowing me to access the prompt. its not even accepting CTRL Z. The process has been running for about 2 hours now and I want to suspend it by opening another terminal.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems installing a program in Terminal

Hey First of all: I'm on a Mac. I'm quite new to this, so forgive me if i sound like a newb :-) I wish to install the Deluge BitTorrent client. First of all I installed Macports and made it run smooth. But then I ran into a problem when I should install Deluge. I can post the log, and maybe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sixmax
4 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Not mounted, no-driver USB device in terminal (how to access?)

hi, i am on a quest to access and even mount if possible a drive on os x. there is no driver for the device, but it lists fine in the system profiler. can i access its location from the terminal? how? here is what i get on the system profiler: Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sontarieh
3 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Any ideas on child-control program

My auntie told me that she has been suspecting that her little kids are looking at some "illegal" sites online. She put a free web blocker on the computer, but they might be finding loopholes. She wanna install some child-control program to see what's going on. There are so many since I searched... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bluerosen
5 Replies

7. Fedora

How to use terminal while keeping a program open?

hi all, I open Matlab program from terminal. However, when I go back to terminal I can't do anything in it , only until Matlab is closed. Can someone please advise me on how I can oversome this problem ? thanks peter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter_071
2 Replies

8. Slackware

X terminal: Redirecting remote sound to my local audio device

Hello everybody, I'm testing some aspects of X Terminal implementation and it's going great. I can use remote applications on my local slow workstation at remote's processor speed by redirecting the remote DISPLAY variable to "my_local_ip:0.0"; but i'm having troubles to get remote audio and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control from UNIX script is not returning to the Parent program

Hi All, My program flow is as below Windows batch -- > Cygwin batch --> zsh script There are multiple Cygwin batch scripts that are called from Windows batch file . But when i am executing the first cygwin batch script the control goes to the zsh file and executes and stoping from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
1 Replies