Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Change 32 bit to 64 bit Kernel Post 302118598 by funksen on Wednesday 23rd of May 2007 04:59:57 AM
Old 05-23-2007
Change 32 bit to 64 bit Kernel

Hi, I'm using HPUX 11.11 on Vizualize B180L

our productive machines have 64 bit kernel

# file vmunix

vmunix: ELF-64 executable object file - PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64)

I got one test system, which should have the same HW (i was told it is the same HW)

hpuxtest:/stand-->file vmunix

vmunix: PA-RISC1.1 executable -not stripped

how can I change the Kernel from 32 to 64 bit, or isn't it exactly the same HW, because of
PA-RISC 2.0
and
PA-RISC1.1
?

cheers,
funksen

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle 64 bit arithmetic operation at 32 bit compiled perl interpreter?H

Hi, Here is the issue. From the program snippet I have Base: 0x1800000000, Size: 0x3FFE7FFFFFFFF which are of 40 and 56 bits. SO I used use bignum to do the math but summing them up I always failed having correct result. perl interpreter info, perl, v5.8.8 built for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Which version of Windows Vista to install with a product key? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello everyone. I bought a dell laptop (XPS M1330) online which came without a hard drive. There is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEMAct sticker with product key at the bottom case. I checked dell website (here) for this model and it says this model supports both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies
kvar(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   kvar(8)

Name
       kvar - modify RISC kernel variables in memory or on disk

Syntax
       /usr/etc/kvar -r(b|w|l) [options] vmunix
       /usr/etc/kvar -w(b|w|l) [options] vmunix

Description
       The  command  allows you to read or write RISC kernel variables, either in the on-disk image of or the active in-memory image.  The -r form
       of the command does variable reads; the -w form does variable writes.  The variable length qualifiers are:  b  (1  byte),  w  (word,  or  2
       bytes), and l (longword, or 4 bytes).

Variable contents are displayed in hexadecimal format.

Options
       -a address  Specifies  the  address  of	the  kernel  variable.	Either the -a or -s option must be specified.  The address is specified as
		   either a positive decimal or hexadecimal constant.

-k	   Instructs to use the in-memory image of The default is to use the on-disk copy.

-l	   Searches for a local symbol. The default is a global symbol search.

-o offset   Adds an offset to the address (or address of the symbol name).  The offset value is specified as either a positive  decimal	or
		   hexadecimal constant.

-s name	   Specifies the name of the kernel variable.

-v value    Specifies  the  new value to be assigned by the -w form of The -v option is ignored if the -r form of is being used.  The value
		   is specified as either a positive decimal or hexadecimal constant.

Restrictions
       You must have appropriate file access permissions for (and for with the -k option).

The command is available only on RISC systems.  For VAX systems, use to modify kernel variables.

Examples
       This example reads the variable `udpcksum' from the running kernel image:

% kvar -k -rl -s udpcksum /vmunix

This example sets the `xyz' variable to zero in the running kernel image:

% kvar -k -wl -s xyz -v 0 /vmunix

This example sets the variable `xyz' to -1 in the on-disk image of making this value persistent across reboots:

% kvar -wl -s xyz -v 0xffffffff /vmunix

This example sets to zero 1 byte at offset 2 from address 0x80161a98 in the running kernel image:

% kvar -k -wb -o 2 -a 0x80161a98 /vmunix

Files
See Also
       adb(1), dbx(1)

RISC								   kvar(8)