Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Career Path/Change - Cert Help Post 302118401 by CoopDeVille on Monday 21st of May 2007 11:33:40 PM
Old 05-22-2007
Career Path/Change - Cert Help

This is a very serious post. I am a Cell Technician (Cellular Base Station Tech) who is completely bored because my job has basically evolved into a Field Secretary position. I love working on T1's and troubleshooting equipment outages and so on and so forth but my job has become VERY administrative. I love computer/configuration work and troubleshooting.

I am at a point in my life where if I am going to make a change (and I NEED to) it needs to happen very soon! Here is my dilemma:

I have taken MANY career aptitude tests and they always point to Technology and Food.

I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps as an Avionics Technician and the last 7 years in the Wireless/Telecom industry. I am good at what I do but I want more.

I have been cooking since I was 9 and I am now 30...I have a lot of unprofessional food experience. Cooking is one of my passions.

I have also been into computers since I was 10 and everyone I meet says I am a natural. I kick ass on anything in my current position involving computers or CLI. It is my thing!

Cooking doesn't pay unless you know a guy!

IT does!

I am trying to get into something I love to do instead of what pays the bills.

What would be the best path for me to crossover from what I do now to a job in the IT industry (especially VoIP or UNIX)?

Are there any quick certs I can get now (with my GI Bill) that I can use to make about 55k/per year or more with my experience and the new certs? Is there a possibility of making more with my experience and suggested certs?

I would like to make this transition in a years time so quick certs are key!

I have worked on Sun Solaris Workstations and CLI while I worked on Nortel Cell Sites so I am semi-familiar with UNIX.

I have experience with the following (which may or may not help):

Field Experience:

- T1/T3 Testing, Troubleshooting and Installation
- TCP/IP
- CLI
- UNIX CLI
- Lucent CLI
- Electronic Troubleshooting
- Lucent Routers
- Xng
- Remedy
- Help Desk

Wireless/Telecomm Certs:

Lucent BTS
Nortel BTS
Nokia BTS
Carrier Access MUX
Anritsu Cell Master
T-Berd Test Sets (T1/T3)
Harris Microwave Radios
Alcatel Microwave Radios

ANy help at all in this area would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks so much!!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Career Change

Hi, all! I'm a 37 year-old Electrical Engineer with a BSEE and 12 years of experience. I was laid off last week, and have been considering a career change (I've had enough of electrical design). I've used computers for the past 20 years as a hobby (building computers, playing games,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Snapster
5 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Career Path

Hi, I've been in the IT field for a few years now, less than 10. I've done a little of everything from database administration, development, systems administration, and unix administration. Although, I wouldnt say I'm a senior level in any of those. Unix definitely stands out in my preferences... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
5 Replies

3. Programming

Unix Career path

Hi, I am having experience on Perl and C# and worked as Windows Sytem Admin and now iam planning to become a UNIX developer. I am having knowledge on basic UNIX.. can any one suggest me any good material for c/c++ UNIX programming. on what all things a UNIX Programmer needs to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrareddy1
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Career path help

I am working in a company in which my work includes working on Linux nodes. The "uname -arv" command outputs - "Linux clx28ap01 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat May 7 20:18:50 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux". I generally use various command to stop/start the servers, checking space,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
7 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Career path help forum

Hi Admins and Moderators, I am already in job for more than 2 years. I need some guidance in deciding the career path. Please suggest what should be the correct forum to post this to ? Rgrds, Rohit Moved thread to appropriate forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Career Path

First I like to say hi to all the people in this community. The reason I am here is because I am lost and looking for advice on my career path. Here is a short history. I worked in the IT industry for about 10 yrs, sys admin, QA, and developer. During 911 I lost my job. Since then I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: navy
4 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX career path

Hi All, This question is regarding career path. I was not sure about which forum I should drop it, so putting it here. I have 12 years of experience on UNIX i.e. majority of Solaris and some of Linux (Suse & Red Hat). Since starting I have been working on 100% administration side and I am not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX career path for Admin

Hello, Just wanted to have a suggestion on UNIX carrier path and I couldn't found any proper forum/blog where I can put this question better than this one. I have been working on Solaris from past 13 years and some years on Linux. It was completely on Admin side and never on development or... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
12 Replies
Net::CLI::Interact::Transport::Telnet(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation		Net::CLI::Interact::Transport::Telnet(3pm)

NAME
Net::CLI::Interact::Transport::Telnet - TELNET based CLI connection VERSION
version 1.121640 DECRIPTION
This module provides a wrapped instance of a TELNET client for use by Net::CLI::Interact. INTERFACE
app On Windows platforms you must download the "plink.exe" program, and pass its location to the library in this parameter. On other platforms, this defaults to "telnet". runtime_options Based on the "connect_options" hash provided to Net::CLI::Interact on construction, selects and formats parameters to provide to "app" on the command line. Supported attributes: host (required) Host name or IP address of the host to which the TELNET application is to connect. reap Only used on Unix platforms, this installs a signal handler which attempts to reap the "ssh" child process. Pass a true value to enable this feature only if you notice zombie processes are being left behind after use. COMPOSITION
See the following for further interface details: o Net::CLI::Interact::Transport AUTHOR
Oliver Gorwits <oliver@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Oliver Gorwits. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-12 Net::CLI::Interact::Transport::Telnet(3pm)