Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PXE boot port issue
Operating Systems HP-UX PXE boot port issue Post 302118252 by bluepluto on Monday 21st of May 2007 01:09:15 AM
Old 05-21-2007
PXE boot port issue

Hi,all:
I want to boot an IA unix box from network, I am sure I set the DHCP and boot server, but it still failed !

It says : Client MAC Address: 00 18 FE 28 91 82 .....-
PXE-E16: Valid PXE offer not received.
Load of Core LAN Gb A failed: Not Found

I use the nettl command to trace the UDP package, it writes:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Gigabit Ethernet LAN/9000 Networking^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^@#%
Timestamp : Fri Apr 27 EAT 2007 16:57:52.714302
Process ID : [ICS] Subsystem : IGELAN
User ID ( UID ) : -1 Trace Kind : PDU IN TRACE
Device ID : 0 Path ID : -1
Connection ID : 0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
=================================== Ethernet ====================================
Source : 00-18-fe-28-91-82 [I] [ ]
Dest : ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff [B] [ ] TRACED LEN: 590
Date : Fri Apr 27 16:57:52.714302 EAT 2007
================================ IP Header (inbound -- [ICS]) ================
Source: 0.0.0.0 (A) Dest: 255.255.255.255(E)
len: 576 ttl: 16 proto: 17 cksum: 0xf3ee id: 0xb4bf
flags: NONE tos: 0x0 hdrlen: 20 offset: 0x0 optlen: 0
-------------------------------- UDP Header ----------------------------------
sport: 68 --> dport: 4109 data len: 548 chksum: 0x3c04
-------------------------------- BOOTP Request -------------------------------
trans id : 0x13880000 seconds : 159 hops : 0
server IP: NULL client IP: NULL your IP: NULL
gateway IP: NULL h/w type : 1 flags : 32768
client h/w addr : 00-18-fe-28-91-82
server name : NULL
file name : NULL
vendor specific : VM_RFC1048

From the document, I got that the client port is 68, the server port should be 67, I mean the DHCP server listening port, while in the UDP package, it shows 4109.
Thanks !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Using LOM port to start boot solaris 10

Hi. Hopefully a question with a very short answer. Previously I have been using a windows hyperterminal to boot solaris 10 systems (SunFire) over a serial lom cable. I want to perform the same operation from a solaris 8 machine to boot solaris 10. Can anyone tell me what commands I should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RottingBadger
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting up a PXE Boot Server

I've set up a PXE boot server and I'm having a slight snag in the booting process. On the client machine, DHCP renders fine and TFTP seems to begin but then the system hangs. On the server, the error message "Client does not accept options" occurs -- which from reading online is a common message... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colton
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Auto-Port Aggregation startup fails on boot

I have a machine running HP-UX 11.23 (PARISC) and APA startup fails on boot. This is found in /etc/rc.log: Configure Auto-Port Aggregation(LAN Monitor) interfaces Output from "/sbin/rc2.d/S343hplm start": ---------------------------- get_start_dlpi_version: failed, errno is 22 ERROR: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kknigga
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PXE diskless boot fails

Hi, I am trying to setup a server for a diskless boot of a computer class (with ubuntu) I followed the guidelines in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto I have two computers: one is the server I installed and the other is my macbook on which I run a virtual machine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotamhc
8 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

PXE boot not taking the init= option

Hi Experts, I am doing PXE boot for my GNU/Linux device and pxelinux.0 loads the kernel as well as initrd images I have mentioned in the config file but it looks like it is not considering the init= option. Instead it starts the default INIT program. I wanted my customized init program to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

7. Solaris

PXE boot problems in Solaris 10

Hi folks, I was trying to setup Network based NFS installation with PXE. I'm using virtual box for this purpose. I have one redhat (DHCP) server and Solaris 10 (Install server - Source) and on the other one am trying to install solaris using PXE. As in, dhcp address and boot file can be fetched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaytrendz
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Interactive PXE Boot Menu

I have been asked to modify our PXE server such that there will be only one entry in the pxelinux.cfg/default file, where the same kernel and initrd.img will be used regardless of what operating system is to be installed, and the user will type in the path to the kickstart file that will be used. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ceb
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

pxe boot server

Hi Hoping someone can help ove setup a pxe/dhcp boot server for auto installs on centos My server seems to be providing dhcp fine but the installation fails to progress when it reaches the pxe boot menu. I make my selection and nothing happens. I am serving the media via http from the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duckeggs01
3 Replies

10. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies
UDPTunnel(1)								net							      UDPTunnel(1)

NAME
udptunnel - Tunnel UDP packets over a TCP connection SYNTAX
udptunnel -s TCP-port [-r] [-v] UDP-addr/UDP-port[/ttl] udptunnel -c TCP-addr[/TCP-port] [-r] [-v] UDP-addr/UDP-port[/ttl] DESCRIPTION
UDPTunnel is a small program which can tunnel UDP packets bi-directionally over a TCP connection. Its primary purpose (and original motiva- tion) is to allow multi-media conferences to traverse a firewall which allows only outgoing TCP connections. USAGE
UDPTunnel can be run in two modes: a client mode and a server mode. The client mode initiates the TCP connection before relaying UDP; the server waits for an incoming connection before doing so. After the TCP connection is established, the behavior of the two modes is identi- cal. If you are using UDPTunnel to traverse a firewall as discussed above, the client would be run inside the firewall, and the server would be run outside it. OPTIONS
-s TCP-port Server mode: If udptunnel is invoked with the -s option, it runs in server mode: the server will wait for an incoming connection on the specified TCP port, and then relay UDP to and from it." -c TCP-addr[/TCP-port] Client mode: If udptunnel is invoked with the -c option, it runs in client mode: it will open a TCP connection to the specified TCP host and port, and then relay UDP on it. The TCP port may be omitted in this case; it will default to the same port number as the UDP port. -r RTP mode: In order to facilitate tunneling both RTP and RTCP traffic for a multi-media conference, this sets up relays on two con- secutive TCP and UDP ports. All specified port numbers in this case must be even. Note that both the client and the server must use the -r flag for this to work; the server will not begin relaying packets until both its connections have been established. -v Verbose output: This flag turns on verbose debugging output about UDPTunnel's actions. It may be given multiple times. With a single -v, information about connection establishment is printed on UDPTunnel's standard error stream; with a second one, per-packet infor- mation is also shown. Note that this latter case can produce a prodigious amount of information. If this flag is not given, UDPTun- nel will remain silent unless an error occurs. One of the two options -c and -s must be given; if not, it is an error. In all cases, the UDP address and port to tunnel is given after all options. UDPTunnel will listen to this adddress for packets, and will send received packets on this address. The address may be a multicast address; in this case, a multicast TTL should be specified, and tun- neled packets will be sent with this TTL. All addresses, TCP and UDP, may be specified either as an IPv4 dotted-quad address (e.g. 224.2.0.1) or as a host name (e.g. conrail.cs.columbia.edu). Port numbers must be in the range of 1 to 65535; TTLs must be in the range 0 to 255. PACKET FORMAT
The packets are sent on TCP using the obvious, simple format: a sixteen-bit length field, in network byte order, precedes each data packet. This format was proposed in early drafts of RTP for RTP-over-TCP, but was dropped from the final specification. KNOWN BUGS
/ISSUES UDPTunnel does not check incoming UDP packets to verify that they are indeed coming from the address which the user specified; it binds to INADDR_ANY, and accepts any UDP packet arriving on the specified port. This could potentially allow denial-of-service or spoofing attacks. If two or more -v options are given, per-packet identification will be printed of each packet's source address as it is received, allowing such a situation to be diagnosed. For multicast, UDPTunnel turns off packet loopback, as it has no way to distinguish its own packets it sent out from packets genuinely arriving on the multicast group. This means that if you are tunneling traffic from or to a multicast group, both ends of UDPTunnel must be run on different hosts than any member of the group. (In general, the only way to distinguish looped packets from packets genuinely received from other applications on the local host is with application-layer labeling, as RTP does.) UDPTunnel is designed to tunnel RTP-style traffic, in which applications send and receive UDP packets to and from the same port (or pair of ports). It does not support request/response-style traffic, in which a client request is sent from a transient port X to a well-known port Y, and the server's response is returned from port Y to port X. UDPTunnel deliberately ignores "Connection Refused" errors on the UDP port, clearing the socket error state, so that a tunnel may be set up before conferencing tools are started on both ends. This may mean that a mis-typed UDP address or port is not recognized, as no error is printed. If two or more -v options are given, a diagnostic will be printed whenever the error state is cleared from the socket. Once one endpoint of a tunnel is taken down, closing the socket, the other one exits as well; to re-establish the tunnel, UDPTunnel must be restarted on both sides. IP version 6 is not supported. AUTHORS
UDPTunnel was written by Jonathan Lennox <lennox@cs.columbia.edu>. It incorporates code written by Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.colum- bia.edu>. This manual page was written by Thomas Scheffczyk <thomas.scheffczyk@verwaltung.uni-mainz.de>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Jonathan Lennox 1.1 UDPTunnel(1)