Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming problems with fork() inheritating Post 302118205 by matrixmadhan on Sunday 20th of May 2007 06:57:20 AM
Old 05-20-2007
Could you please give a snippet of the code in the function child and the statements after the default section ?

Basically what is that you are trying to achieve !

Is there any program termination statements with the function child ?

Quote:
if not necessary I wouldn't want to use the SYS5 sem., mess. queues or pipes..
Am sure, its not going to hurt or cost you some more time, if sem are replaced by ' semaphores ' and mess replaced by ' messages ' Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fork

What is a fork? Why would one create a fork? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a fork? Please advise. Thank You. Deepali (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepali
5 Replies

2. Programming

fork() fd

I run this code, actually I want to both processes print the message from "data". But only one does. What happens? Anyone can help? #include <stdio.h> main(){ int fd, pid; char x; fd = open("data",0); /* open file "data" */ pid = fork(); if(pid != 0){ wait(0); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herman
2 Replies

3. Programming

fork()

#include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h> #define MAX_COUNT 200 #define BUF_SIZE 100 void main(void) { pid_t pid; int i; char buf; fork(); pid = getpid(); for (i = 1; i <= MAX_COUNT; i++) { sprintf(buf,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKSRaja
2 Replies

4. Programming

Fork or what?

Hello all. I'm developing a filetransfer application, which is supposed to work sort of like dcc, with multiple transfers etc. Now i wonder what the best way to manage the transfers is. Should i fork() for each new transfer, hogging loads of memory or use pthreads? Maybe I can use select to see... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crippe
0 Replies

5. Programming

problems with FORK() and WAITPID()

Dear All, I'm trying to write multithreading TCP Daemon which executes external program when new network connection arrives on a socket. After accept() I'm doing fork() for initiating of new child process, in which will be executed external program. After child creation I'm doing fork() again,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Polkovnik
3 Replies

6. Programming

fork() help

Hi everybody, I wanna write a code to understand how fork works. my target -------------- -Parent creates a file(called temp) and writes into this file "1".Then it closes the file. -Then parent creates a child and wait until execution of this child ends. -Then child opens the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexicopax
3 Replies

7. Programming

Problems with child comunicating with parent on fork()

Hello, I'm trying to implement a version of a bucketSort (kinda) server/client, but I'm having a VERY hard time on making the server behave correctly, when talking to the children, after it forks. The server is kinda big (300+ lines), so I won't post it here, but here's what I'm doing. 1)create a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork()

I'm trying to run a simple test on how to use fork(), i'm able to execute the child process first then the parent, but how can I execute parent then child..? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies

10. Programming

Fork!

I understand that fork create a child but I need very simple example that make child useful.... I mean how will make the program faster anyone explain with code plz using C plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
2 Replies
FORK(3F)																  FORK(3F)

NAME
fork - create a copy of this process SYNOPSIS
integer function fork() DESCRIPTION
Fork creates a copy of the calling process. The only distinction between the 2 processes is that the value returned to one of them (referred to as the `parent' process) will be the process id of the copy. The copy is usually referred to as the `child' process. The value returned to the `child' process will be zero. All logical units open for writing are flushed before the fork to avoid duplication of the contents of I/O buffers in the external file(s). If the returned value is negative, it indicates an error and will be the negation of the system error code. See perror(3F). A corresponding exec routine has not been provided because there is no satisfactory way to retain open logical units across the exec. How- ever, the usual function of fork/exec can be performed using system(3F). FILES
/usr/lib/libU77.a SEE ALSO
fork(2), wait(3F), kill(3F), system(3F), perror(3F) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 27, 1986 FORK(3F)