Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users HP-UX users get logged off while idle. Post 302118112 by craigp84 on Friday 18th of May 2007 02:26:40 PM
Old 05-18-2007
Crash?

Hi Laoinjo,

When you say log off, is it a clean logoff or is the X server restarted - i.e. could we be looking at a possible crash?

Does the X log give anything away?

Does it happen *every* time the screensaver is supposed to kick in?

Is there anything else setup to kick in periodically - cron jobs etc. ?

Are all the machines at the same patch level? What patches recently went in?

Cheers,

-c

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Is there a script available to kill Idle users

My max user parm is set to 1050. I'm currently at 1038 this is causing major slow downs on the server. I looking for a way log off "idle" user logins with out having to do it individually. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
5 Replies

2. AIX

Log off idle users

How to set a timer for log out users that have been idle for a long time? It is a AIX 5L (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtofu
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding idle users

I am trying to write a script that will list the idle users on my system which is running HPUX 11.11. The script is currently written as : who -u > /home/rfm/scripts/user.txt echo " There are currently... " wc -l /home/rfm/scripts/user.txt echo " User logins on System : `uname -n` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for killing idle users

I need a script that will look for idle users and kill there proc. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdel80
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Idle users over 1 day

Please help, im modifing an idle script to capture (not kill) users who havee been idle over a time. now i've got to work with the exection of users whos idle time gove over 24 hrs and becomes "old". please advice on how to correct... #Clear old report, generate new data and new report echo "\n... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need a scipt to email users with idle processes!?

hello, i am VERY new to this whole script world. I need to come up with a script that will email a user if they have an idle process past 500 minutes...any suggestions??? Thanks so much. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheppy28
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing idle users TIA

I wrote a script to kill users idle more than 1/2 hour, ignoring those in an exception list. Here is the script as it is now: #! /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { system("who -u | sort +5 > /tmp/loginfile"); system("echo User Sessions Killed > /tmp/killedlogins"); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PapaBear
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

kill idle users

Hi, In my network we uses the NetTerm program to connect us to HP-UX 10.x server from windows workstations, but in some cases the user doesn't logout and close it by window's x button. The problem is that in HP-UX the user and all his tasks remain active and when he enter again HP-UX creates a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: efrenba
12 Replies

9. Solaris

Logging out idle users after a certain timeframe

We recently underwent a security audit and have a new requirement to not allow users to stay logged on overnight. In order to place this policy into effect i need a way to check for idle users and log them off. Is there any good way to enforce this policy in Solaris 10 and make it work in such a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
11 Replies

10. AIX

Telnet sessions stay as idle users

Hi The telnet sessions stay as idle users. It is not getting kicked out. Please advise what could be the issue. only when we reboot the server these telnet sessions goes. Below is the current output from the server. we rebooted the server three days ago: pmut6:/> uptime 04:21PM... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)