Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Built in ram limit for 64 bit Post 302118018 by kermit on Thursday 17th of May 2007 06:29:14 PM
Old 05-17-2007
Built in ram limit for 64 bit

Hey all,

I have been thinking about getting a new computer, and the motherboard I am looking at is capable of holding up to 8 Gb of ram. Now it appears as though for 32 bit linux, in order to use more than 4 Gb of ram, you had to enable a certain option in the kernel, but if I remember correctly, there was also a performance hit for doing so. Of course I will be going 64 bit, and so I am wondering if there will be any problems with > 4 Gb of ram? Or will Linux take care of everything in 64 bit mode?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Limit RAM Usages

Is there any kernel tune parameters available to limit RAM usages at certain level . EG . RAM: 4 GB Swap: 2 GB I Need if my RAM usages reached 3 GB Kernel will start swaping new pages . .. --Shirish Shukla (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle 64 bit arithmetic operation at 32 bit compiled perl interpreter?H

Hi, Here is the issue. From the program snippet I have Base: 0x1800000000, Size: 0x3FFE7FFFFFFFF which are of 40 and 56 bits. SO I used use bignum to do the math but summing them up I always failed having correct result. perl interpreter info, perl, v5.8.8 built for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Limit CPU and RAM utilization for new user in RedHat

We have a system with 4 Xeon Processors each with 10 cores, total 512 GB RAM and 10 TB Hard Drive. we want to create multiple user accounts with different resource limitations as : User 1: RAM : 50GB, PROCESSOR: 10 Cores , User folder in home directory of 10GB space. User 2: RAM :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavvsk
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Verify 4 GB Limit is overcome in 64 Bit Processor

We are moving from a 32 Bit PA-RISC processor to 64 Bit Itanium processor based System. I am aware that 64 Bit processor allows for memory (RAM) addressibility beyond the 4 GB memory (RAM) limit imposed by a 32 bit processor I have been asked to prove that the new systems are capable of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: allanbm
6 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Maximum Memory RAM for windows 7 32 bit

Hi, i have just installed 4 gb RAM ddr3 on OS Windows 7 32 bit. In "manage peripherals" i see this section: Memory installed (ram) : 4,00 gb (2,30gb usable) Why only 2,30 gb usable ? In Windows 7 32bit the maximum size is not 3,00gb ? see file attached, please (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nash83
4 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Which version of Windows Vista to install with a product key? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello everyone. I bought a dell laptop (XPS M1330) online which came without a hard drive. There is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEMAct sticker with product key at the bottom case. I checked dell website (here) for this model and it says this model supports both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies
NEW-KERNEL-PKG(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 NEW-KERNEL-PKG(8)

NAME
new-kernel-pkg - tool to script kernel installation SYNOPSIS
new-kernel-pkg [-v] [--mkinitrd] [--rminitrd] [--dracut] [--initrdfile=initrd-image [--depmod] [--rmmoddep] [--kernel-args=args] [--remove-args=args] [--banner=banner] [--multiboot=multiboot] [--mbargs=mbargs] [--make-default] [--add-dracut-args] [--add-plymouth-initrd] [--host-only] <--install | --remove | --update | --rpmposttrans> <kernel-version> DESCRIPTION
new-kernel-pkg is a tool used in packaging to automate the installation of a new kernel, including the creation of an initial ram filesys- tem image, updating of bootloader configuration, and other associated tasks. OPTIONS
-v Be verbose. --mkinitrd Create a new initial ram filesystem image. --rminitrd Remove an initial ram filesystem image. --dracut When creating a new initial ram filesystem image, use dracut(8) rather than mkinitrd(8). Used in conjunction with --mkinitrd . --initrdfile=initrd-image Use the specified file as the initial ram filesystem image. --depmod Create modules.dep and related files. --rmmoddep Remove modules.dep and related files. --kernel-args=args Use args as the boot command line for this kernel. --remove-args=args Remove specified kernel arguments for this kernel. --banner=banner Display banner as the banner text in the bootloader. --multiboot=multiboot-image Use multiboot-image as a multiboot image. --mbargs=mbargs Use mbargs as arguments to the multiboot image. --make-default Make this kernel the default boot option. --add-dracut-args Automatically generate dracut options and add them to the kernel command line. --add-plymouth-initrd Automatically add plymouth to the initial ram filesystem image. --host-only Make an initial ram filesystem image that is specific to the running system. --install kernel-version Install a new kernel. --remove kernel-version Remove an installed kernel. --update kernel-version Update the specified kernel. --rpmposttrans kernel-version Run the rpmposttrans for the specified kernel. SEE ALSO
grubby(8) installkernel(8) AUTHORS
Erik Troan Jeremy Katz Peter Jones Wed Apr 14 2010 NEW-KERNEL-PKG(8)