Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help needed with sort. pipe and popen() Post 302118017 by the_learner on Thursday 17th of May 2007 06:09:25 PM
Old 05-17-2007
I guess what I am looking for is: When commands are piped, if any one command fails, the commands that follow should not execute...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort - Help Needed

Hi, I am facing a small problem while I am doing the sort. Problem Definition: I have a file which has the following data. >cat test.dat zxzxc asdasd qwaxcZa qwaxcA When I do a sort on this file. the result set is asdasd qwaxcA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andysundar
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to sort file

I have a text file comprising of 3 columns 1. First column - numeric count/frequency of error codes 2. Second column - alphanumeric hyphenated error code 3. Third column - Error code description (alphanumeric) 184 ABCD-954 Errorcodedescription1 35645 DFMS-323 Errorcodedescription2 43534 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in removing intermediate segments from a pipe delimited segment file

Hi, I just stuckup in doing some regular expressions on a file. I have data which has multiple FHS and BTS segments like: FHS|12121|LOCAL|2323 MSH|10101|POTAMAS|2323 PID|121221|THOMAS|DAVID|23432 OBX|2342|H1211|3232 BTS|0000|MERSTO|LIABLE FHS|12121|LOCAL|2323 MSH|10101|POTAMAS|2323... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naren_0101bits
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort command help needed.

Hello, suppose i have a student.dat file whose format is studentno studentname semester marks1 marks2 marks3 total then how can i sort first in semester wise and then total wise? I mean semester wise ranking wise record should be displayed. Semester should be displayed in ascending order... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with Sort and uniq data

Hi All, After Sorting directories and files i have got following output as below, now i only want the strings common in them, so the actual output should be as below in the bottom. How do i do that? Thanks -adsi File to be modified:- Common Components for ----> AA... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to sort data

Hello All, Today i have been asking lots of question, hope to become good in scripting soon with all the wonderful advices i get. The question is i want to sort data a get uniq string from it. The code i am using to generate the output is:- check_sun() { for i in $SUN_PLATFORM do $ECHO... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort command help needed

I have a file with three fields of data for example say we have 1420 $12.56 45 3456 $15.89 14 2341 $25.87 32 I need to use a command to show who is getting paid the highest amount to standard output. I am not sure if I should use a sort command or a copy and paste... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew211
1 Replies

8. SuSE

Is this iostat pipe to sort service request command correct?

Hi, my os is SLES 10 from sort iostat as my output does not include rkB/s and wkB/s I probably have to adjust the key position, so is the following iostat pipe to sort service request command correct? oracle@vmc_stallite:~> iostat -x | sort -nrk11 sda 0.96 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort file using pipe

I am trying to create a file (epilepsy70_average.txt) and then pipe that file into a sort and save a new file. The new file is sort.txt but as of know it is blank. I can create the file in one command and then sort it in another. Is the pipe not correct? Thank you :). awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pipe to sort

In the below awk to add a sort by smallest to largest should it be added after the END? Thank you :). BEGIN { FS="*" } # Read search terms from file1 into 's' FNR==NR { s next } { # Check if $5 matches one of the search terms for(i in s) { if($5 ~ i) { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
SORT(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   SORT(1)

NAME
sort - sort a file of ASCII lines SYNOPSIS
sort [-bcdfimnru] [-tc] [-o name] [+pos1] [-pos2] file ... OPTIONS
-b Skip leading blanks when making comparisons -c Check to see if a file is sorted -d Dictionary order: ignore punctuation -f Fold upper case onto lower case -i Ignore nonASCII characters -m Merge presorted files -n Numeric sort order -o Next argument is output file -r Reverse the sort order -t Following character is field separator -u Unique mode (delete duplicate lines) EXAMPLES
sort -nr file # Sort keys numerically, reversed sort +2 -4 file # Sort using fields 2 and 3 as key sort +2 -t: -o out # Field separator is : sort +.3 -.6 # Characters 3 through 5 form the key DESCRIPTION
Sort sorts one or more files. If no files are specified, stdin is sorted. Output is written on standard output, unless -o is specified. The options +pos1 -pos2 use only fields pos1 up to but not including pos2 as the sort key, where a field is a string of characters delim- ited by spaces and tabs, unless a different field delimiter is specified with -t. Both pos1 and pos2 have the form m.n where m tells the number of fields and n tells the number of characters. Either m or n may be omitted. SEE ALSO
comm(1), grep(1), uniq(1). SORT(1)